Apologize if this has been asked--Hamburg

We arrive in Kiel and are going to Hamburg for the day. Does anyone know the train schedule and where we might catch the train from Kiel to Hamburg? Can we purchase tickets in advance?

I tried searching "Hamburg" but I can't find the answer to this specific question. Thanks in advance for your help!:o

We arrive in Kiel and are going to Hamburg for the day. Does anyone know the train schedule and where we might catch the train from Kiel to Hamburg?

Here is the way from the Cruise Terminal (subject your ship berths at Ostseekai - HAL/Costa/MSC do) to the Central Station:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-transfers-from-cruise.html

Here are the instruction to buy the tickets at the machine:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-buying-tickets-for-lubeck.html

The only difference is that you have to enter Hamburg instead of Lübeck.

The DIRECT Regional Train is leaving on

21 minutes past the hour and arrives Hamburg Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station) 37 minutes past the NEXT hour.

There are also few connections with a transfer or going via Lübeck.

Also there are few long-distance trains available for which you need seperate tickets (27.00 EUR standard / but special for currently 19.00 EUR one-way - no changes / no refund - are available until June 13, 2009 for travel until September).

Regarding the tickets it depends to the number/ages of persons and the day of travel to give you a good recommendation. Unfortunately you did not posted the day of arrival in Kiel or a ship's name. So generally spoken: if it would fit into your schedule:

A group day pass is valid after 09.00 hrs (on weekdays - to time restrictions on weekends and public holidays) would cost 29.90 EUR incl. transfer to the station and ONE ride in Hamburg to your final destination and back to Hamburg Central Station.

Another group day pass would cost 30.00 EUR but does not include the transfer from the Cruise Terminal to Kiel Central Station but all rides within Hamburg. But same time restrictions. Would make sense if you have not plan HoHo-Bus and need flexible mobility in Hamburg.

If you are travelling on weekdays and you want to start before 9.00 am:

Travelling on 07.21 am means 19.20 EUR per Person extra to get to Hamburg (return on day pass if you are not travelling alone)

Travelling on 08.21 am means 13.20 EUR per Person extra (to Elmshorn) to get to Hamburg (from 09.07 am (first point after 09.00 hrs) you can use the day pass if you are travelling alone)

As told best would be to know your plans in Hamburg, day of travel, number and ages of children in your group to give you the best recommendation.

Return will be

20 minutes past the hour from Hamburg Hbf

36 minutes past the NEXT hour at Kiel Hbf

Can we purchase tickets in advance?

If you use the long distance train: yes - and if you want to use the special for 19.00 EUR: the sooner the better:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-warenmuritz-and.html

Only it varies:

Origin will be: KIEL HBF

Destination will be: HAMBURG HBF

Regards,

HeinBloed

Does anyone have suggestions for sights to see or places to go if one is in Hamburg for a couple days? My interests are architecture (modern and historical) and history (especially the Hänsa). Long interesting urban walks are also a favorite pastime.

Does anyone have suggestions for sights to see or places to go if one is in Hamburg for a couple days? My interests are architecture (modern and historical) and history (especially the Hänsa). Long interesting urban walks are also a favorite pastime.

I am sure that they can help you to find the right tour:

http://www.a-tour.com/flash/index.html

Some impressions from Hamburg (made for cruiser):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/hamburg-germany.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed: As usual, you are awesome! I am sorry I did not mention specifics as I did not know there were different tables per day. We are on the Holland America Eurodam, leaving July 12th, arriving in Kiel on the 10th day, July 21st at 6 am. It is just my husband and I.

From your instructions: we can catch a cab (5 euro) to Central Station. We will have small euros to purchase a direct train ticket to Hamburg, which leaves at 21 past every hour. We might be able to purchase this in advance. When in Hamburg, we are interested in a canal/river cruise and the HO-HO bus for getting around Alster and the lakes area as well as seeing the warehouse district. Would it be more efficient to purchase this ticket in advance as well?

Thanks again, Heinbloed.:)

Heinbloed: As usual, you are awesome! I am sorry I did not mention specifics as I did not know there were different tables per day. We are on the Holland America Eurodam, leaving July 12th, arriving in Kiel on the 10th day, July 21st at 6 am. It is just my husband and I.

From your instructions: we can catch a cab (5 euro) to Central Station. We will have small euros to purchase a direct train ticket to Hamburg, which leaves at 21 past every hour. We might be able to purchase this in advance. When in Hamburg, we are interested in a canal/river cruise and the HO-HO bus for getting around Alster and the lakes area as well as seeing the warehouse district. Would it be more efficient to purchase this ticket in advance as well?

Thanks again, Heinbloed.:)

O.K.

I would do it as follow:

It's a Tuesday so the group day pass solution will not work well. But ICE high-speed-train is no good solution as there is only 10 minutes difference and you are so early in Hamburg that maybe nothing is open.

Go with the public bus and save the money for the taxi as it is the same price:

Take Bus 41, 42, 43 to Central Station and buy with the driver:

2 (Zwei) Tageskarten nach Hamburg, bitte

(The easiest will be to write this on a little sheet of paper).

Each is 28.90 EUR = 57.80 EUR totally.

This covers bus from Kiel Cruise Terminal to Hamburg and back!!!

You should get 06.51 hrs from there to the Central Station and you'll be there around 07.00 hrs. Due to rush hour I would be as early as possible at the Central Station that you can look for vacant seats. So 06.36 hrs would be a little more advantaged for you: if you can get so early from the ship.

The Alster River Cruises starts from Jungfernstieg which is straight in one part of the shopping districts.

But it would be the easiest to walk out through the exit towards SPITTALERSTRASSE or MÖNCKEBERGSTRASSE and walk straight trought the shopping district to the Town Hall.

From here it's a jump to Jungfernstieg and you can go on the River Cruise.

I think the nicest tour is this one:

http://www.alstertouristik.de/e_fleetfahrt.php

or if you want to do the River Alster:

http://www.alstertouristik.de/e_kanalfahrt.php

This is not a liner service - more a sightseeing line and not so boring like going to one to the other.

Or you end up at Winterhuder Fährhaus on the liner (to avoid one hour going back the same route):

and take the Subway Route 1 to Kellinghusenstraße and change to Route 3 (same platform / just opposite) to St. Pauli to be in the next spot.

Buy a group day pass for 8.95 EUR for the rest of the day in Hamburg.

After St. Pauli and a walk to the Landing Stages you can go on Subway Route 3 to Rathaus back for shopping.

If you still have the wish to use a Ho-Ho-Bus you can do it from Landing Stages, or Rathaus as well. Personally I would use the subway because (Do not laugh) it's elevated in this section and you'll have a great view over the port and it's included in the day pass. It's 2.70 EUR from Winterhuder Fährhaus to St. Pauli if you are not interested to continue here by subway!!!

So let me know for which river tour you have decided then we can plan the best around.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hope your ship can call Warnemünde - today there was so much storm in Warnemünde that they had to skip the call and go directly to Tallinn.

Are you embarking in Dover or Copenhagen???

If Dover: we can have a drink onboard and I can answer your questions you might have for Hamburg (and/or Warnemünde).

If Copenhagen: you can send me an e-mail with your civil name and stateroom no. and I can leave some information at the reception desk for you to make your travel easier.

I know you already know this, Heinbloed, but you are incredibly thorough:rolleyes:. Tres superbe!

I found an itinerary from about.com which is what I want to do. It states:

1. Take Metro to "Jungfernsteig" and start at beautiful lake Binnenalster, take a walk around the water, and drink coffee with a great view of the lake from Alster Pavilion.

2. Head to main shopping boulevard Jungfernstieg., stroll.

3. head to Alster Arkaden, walk along canals along these old arcades.

4. Go to main square "Rathausmarkt" and take pictures of Town Hall.

5. Walk through pedestrian zone Monckebergstrasse where there is a H and M (M11) and head back to central train station.

Essentially this is what we would like to do, but also the second river cruise if it is possible. I do not think all this is possible, but we do walk fast.

Lastly, although literally our ship is supposed to dock at 6 am, I doubt we will be able to get off the ship (we will have room service breakfast but still we need to eat before we leave) until at least 7;30 am. It is still best to take the bus from Kiel to Hamburg?

I am sorry we will miss you:(, but we embark in Copenhagen. I hope that we do get to Kiel and do not get stormed upon! I am again grateful for your help. It really is wonderful to help with logistics. Please be sure to enjoy your trip!

I know you already know this, Heinbloed, but you are incredibly thorough:rolleyes:. Tres superbe!

I found an itinerary from about.com which is what I want to do. It states:

1. Take Metro to "Jungfernsteig" and start at beautiful lake Binnenalster, take a walk around the water, and drink coffee with a great view of the lake from Alster Pavilion.

2. Head to main shopping boulevard Jungfernstieg., stroll.

3. head to Alster Arkaden, walk along canals along these old arcades.

4. Go to main square "Rathausmarkt" and take pictures of Town Hall.

5. Walk through pedestrian zone Monckebergstrasse where there is a H and M (M11) and head back to central train station.

Essentially this is what we would like to do, but also the second river cruise if it is possible. I do not think all this is possible, but we do walk fast.

Lastly, although literally our ship is supposed to dock at 6 am, I doubt we will be able to get off the ship (we will have room service breakfast but still we need to eat before we leave) until at least 7;30 am. It is still best to take the bus from Kiel to Hamburg?

I am sorry we will miss you:(, but we embark in Copenhagen. I hope that we do get to Kiel and do not get stormed upon! I am again grateful for your help. It really is wonderful to help with logistics. Please be sure to enjoy your trip!

O.K.

If you start 08.21 hrs train...

you buy at the bus driver from the Kiel Cruise Terminal to Kiel Central Station (Bus 41/42/43)

2 (Zwei) Einzelfahrkarten nach Elmshorn, bitte

2 x 13.20 EUR = 26.40 EUR

and you buy at Central Station

1 Länderticket Schleswig-Holstein (Group Day Pass for the State of Schleswig Holstein incl. public transport in Hamburg)

It's 1.15 hrs walk (5 km) from one terminal on River Alster to the end at Jungfernstieg.

My recommendation:

Take from Central Station

Subway (white U on blue square and white U1 on blue square) Route U1

to Winterhuder Fährhaus

From here you can go on the River Cruise in 1 hour back to Jungfernstieg and from here you can jump on your list at Alsterpavillon.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We arrive in Kiel and are going to Hamburg for the day. Does anyone know the train schedule and where we might catch the train from Kiel to Hamburg? Can we purchase tickets in advance?

I tried searching "Hamburg" but I can't find the answer to this specific question. Thanks in advance for your help!:o

We have always found Lubeck to be nicer than Hamburg... you might want to check that out instead.

Gary

Archived