Whale Watching Tour on Canada/NE Cruise

In Bar Harbor, Maine, there is a whale watching tour that you can do independently. The ticket office is in the building right on the pier where you get off the tender.

Things you need to know:

1. I read reviews of this tour on another website and learned that the seas are often rough on this tour and many people get seasick.

2. The afternoon tour may not get back in time for you to make the last tender back to your ship. Find out when you ship leaves before attempting to go on an afternoon tour.

3. Two weeks ago, the tour didn't operate due to foggy conditions. Even the tame nature boat tour that I booked could not go out.

4. If you search the internet, you will find the website for this whale watching company. If you don't find it, post here, and I will find the link for you.

Ilene

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ilene for the info. I will look it up but i must say, i am a little concerned about timing, getting seasick, etc..do I really want to do this? If you have any other suggestions for me, just post or email me. Thanks

We enjoyed the 10:00 Oli's Trolley Tour of Acadia National Park. Tickets are on sale where you get off the tender. Then I planned the tame nature cruise for the afternoon, but it didn't sail because the fog rolled in. I thought this would be a good alternative to the whale watching boat.

If the whale watching is very important to you, be sure you have enough time to get back to the ship before it sails, take some seasick prevention pills, and hope for the best!

Have a wonderful trip!

Hi Ilene

thanks for the info. We are pretty much abandoning the whale watching in Bar Harbor and now are thinking about Acadia National Park. Is the one you mentioned sponsored by Princess or an independent one? So many questions...Thanks for your help.

Janet

These are the two companies used by cruisers. Both go to Cadillac Mountain. You can buy tickets on-line or in the building at the tender pier.

www.acadiatours.com National Park Service tours, 2 ½ hr. $25 pp

www.acadiaislandtours.com Oli’s Trolley tours, 2 ½ hr. $29 pp

or

www.exploreacadia.com free bus running until Columbus Day but I don't think it goes to Cadillac Mountain

As far as whale watching goes, I read a post on a different forum by someone who had done that in Boston. She said it was great, lots of whales. Sorry I can't locate that post, but thought you might want to check it out for Boston if you are going there.

As far as whale watching goes, I read a post on a different forum by someone who had done that in Boston. She said it was great, lots of whales. Sorry I can't locate that post, but thought you might want to check it out for Boston if you are going there.

I found the post about whale watching. Go to the New England forum. Go to the thread called "New England/Canada shore activities", then go to post 12.

Archived