Help Decide - 1st Time Alaska w/ tween

rsingleton

Hi, I'm thinking of cruising to Alaska next month in July. I've always wanted to on Alaska cruise, but never thought it would be be adventurous for my 9 year old daughter. She has been on Carnival and Disney in the past and I have also been on RC. Have a few questions I'm hoping to get some feedback on regarding an Alaska cruise.

1. Will my 9 yr have fun on an alaskan cruise (as opposed to Caribbean with beach activities) . She likes to be active, not much into sightseeing (except the animals), she gets easily bored.

2. What is the best cruise line to sail in alaska and with great kids club? The family pages on this site says Star Princess or NCL Pearl, but another site rated Diamond Princess and Sapphire princess ships a little better. What about the Carnival Spirit since they have good Camp Carnival program.

3. It seems from reviews Princess Line and NCL are the two most popular cruise lines in Alaska. How are their kids programs (she's into arts and crafts and activities). She also loves to swim and worried that she can't on the ship in cold weather. Do any ships have covered pools.

4. Suggestions on itinerary - Northbound, Southbound, or Roundtrip from Seattle.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions. I'm looking to book a trip this week and welcome all the feedback.

I feel your pain. I have an 11 yr old daughter and went thru the same questions. I picked NCL Pearl because they segregate the age groups for the kids clubs more than Princess. I believe Princess does 8-12 and NCL does 6-9 and 10-12. IMO, there's a huge difference in activity interests for an 8 yr old and 12. I also liked the giant Wii, rock wall and bowling alley on the Pearl. The swimming may be an issue, but maybe they heat the outdoor pool with the water slides, or there may be an indoor pool that they allow kids in for the Alaska trips. Not sure. We live in a development with 3 pools, so I figure she can live a week without swimming.

As for excursions, there are some great animal loving opportunities. I plan to sign up for a wheeled dog sled and puppy petting excursion in Skagway and a whale watching trip in Juneau.

Archived