Please no diapers in h2o zone!

#1TravelMom

I'm very disappointed to read all of these posts about the swimmer diapers. I picked the Carnival Sensation because it had a splash park for the little ones. Knowing diapers were not allowed in the pools, I felt that the cruise lines were finally creating something for little ones to enjoy. My 2 year old will be so upset if he can't run around and get wet. I have to say, I don't really see the problem with the splash parks, you aren't submerging your body in water. I understand the water gets recirculated, but it should contain some type of chlorination for basic "pee" accidents.I fully agree that kids with the "runs" should not participate. All cruise lines should aim to get "CDC certified" for water play, because toddlers are not free on cruises. I am paying just as much as for my older kids, so they should be able to enjoy some type of water play, even if it is just a splash from a fountain.

I'm so disappointed to read all of these posts about the swimmer diapers. I picked the Carnival Sensation because it had a splash park for the little ones. Knowing diapers were not allowed in the pools, I felt that the cruise lines were finally creating something for little ones to enjoy. My 2 year old will be so upset if he can't run around and get wet. I have to say, I don't really see the problem with the splash parks, you aren't submerging your body in water. I understand the water gets recirculated, but it should contain some type of chlorination for basic "pee" accidents.I fully agree that kids with the "runs" should not participate. All cruise lines should aim to get "CDC certified" for water play, because toddlers are not free on cruises. I am paying just as much as for my older kids, so they should be able to enjoy some type of water play, even if it is just a splash from a fountain.:(

All cruise lines should aim to get "CDC certified" for water play, because toddlers are not free on cruises. I am paying just as much as for my older kids, so they should be able to enjoy some type of water play, even if it is just a splash from a fountain.

I know, I know you are preaching to the choir. :D I agree 100%

When they are charging (and we adults are paying) sometimes as much as $899 for the 3rd and 4th rate for the kids...then they should have some kind of approved area for them.

It's ridiculous that they build these baby pools...they look like baby pools...parents put their babies in them...and the cruise line sticks the sign that says "No diapered children allowed" because of the CDC requirements....but why not just go the extra mile and build one that meets the CDC regulations? :(

We should start a petition. ;)

I know, I know you are preaching to the choir. :D I agree 100%

When they are charging (and we adults are paying) sometimes as much as $899 for the 3rd and 4th rate for the kids...then they should have some kind of approved area for them.

It's ridiculous that they build these baby pools...they look like baby pools...parents put their babies in them...and the cruise line sticks the sign that says "No diapered children allowed" because of the CDC requirements....but why not just go the extra mile and build one that meets the CDC regulations? :(

We should start a petition. ;)

I think you will start to see them on all new-builds, at least from RCCL and Disney, now that they have had variances registered with the CDC and they know what they need to do in terms of engineering to keep getting the variances. I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert part of an existing deck to a segregated 'diaper friendly' splash pad, having the tear apart the deck and probably open up the roofs of the cabins underneath to install the new pipes and mechanicals (nevermind how would the chair hogs handle 15-20 prime pool-side chairs eliminated for a splash area?)

In order to broaden appeal of cruising to everyone in their chosen market segment (family family family!) the lines would be crazy not to install the diaper splash pads

I think you will start to see them on all new-builds, at least from RCCL and Disney, now that they have had variances registered with the CDC and they know what they need to do in terms of engineering to keep getting the variances. I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert part of an existing deck to a segregated 'diaper friendly' splash pad, having the tear apart the deck and probably open up the roofs of the cabins underneath to install the new pipes and mechanicals (nevermind how would the chair hogs handle 15-20 prime pool-side chairs eliminated for a splash area?)

In order to broaden appeal of cruising to everyone intheir chosen market segment (family family family!) the lines would be crazy not to install the diaper splash pads

I agree, no question. It's in their best interest to consider how best to retrofit where possible. And since at this point the cruise lines simply refuse to fully enforce the CDC regulations, it might help keep some parents from breaking the rules and allowing (or trying to allow) their non-trained children in the pools.

However, I take a bit of exception with this:

"...their chosen market segment (family family family!)..."

Families with children are one of their market segments, not the only or exclusive one. Otherwise, they wouldn't still also be advertising to couples, honeymooners, retired folks, young adults on their own, etc. That's why there is a need for adults only areas, kids areas, teen areas, and yes, at least small water play/pool facilities specifically for non-potty trained children (if possible). (I do not believe it would be possible to retrofit on some of the older, much smaller ships that have extremely limited pool facilities as it is. On most others, there's no reason not to look into designing something into the next scheduled dry dock.)

beachchick

I agree, no question. It's in their best interest to consider how best to retrofit where possible. And since at this point the cruise lines simply refuse to fully enforce the CDC regulations, it might help keep some parents from breaking the rules and allowing (or trying to allow) their non-trained children in the pools.

However, I take a bit of exception with this:

"...their chosen market segment (family family family!)..."

Families with children are one of their market segments, not the only or exclusive one. Otherwise, they wouldn't still also be advertising to couples, honeymooners, retired folks, young adults on their own, etc. That's why there is a need for adults only areas, kids areas, teen areas, and yes, at least small water play/pool facilities specifically for non-potty trained children (if possible). (I do not believe it would be possible to retrofit on some of the older, much smaller ships that have extremely limited pool facilities as it is. On most others, there's no reason not to look into designing something into the next scheduled dry dock.)

beachchick

Point taken, I should have been a little clearer. For Disney and RCCL those tend to be the major segments they target, unlike, say, Regent (who accept kids offering kids clubs on some cruises and occasional fare specials) or Azamara (grudgingly accept kids, with no special facilities or fares)

I have had issues with kids using pools but not regarding nappies. In Nov my family cruised the caribbean with princess. My 2 kids both toilet trained 5 & 2 love swimming and entertained many adults during the holiday with their diving and swimming skills. The porblems we encountered were from a minority of elderly people who thought all children should be banned from all pools at all times as they spoilt the enjoyment for adults! We actually had one lady appraoch a busy pool and ask us to get out with our children as she didnt want to swim with them and insisted on involving the pool and pursers desk. Embaracingly for the women who was heckled away by other bathers it was pointed out that children get very few facilities on cruise ships and adults can choose not to swim with children and use another child free pool.

Why can the crusie liners not swop the pools around and instead of allowing a adults only pool can they not introduce a child only pool?

I have had issues with kids using pools but not regarding nappies. In Nov my family cruised the caribbean with princess. My 2 kids both toilet trained 5 & 2 love swimming and entertained many adults during the holiday with their diving and swimming skills. The porblems we encountered were from a minority of elderly people who thought all children should be banned from all pools at all times as they spoilt the enjoyment for adults! We actually had one lady appraoch a busy pool and ask us to get out with our children as she didnt want to swim with them and insisted on involving the pool and pursers desk. Embaracingly for the women who was heckled away by other bathers it was pointed out that children get very few facilities on cruise ships and adults can choose not to swim with children and use another child free pool.

Why can the crusie liners not swop the pools around and instead of allowing a adults only pool can they not introduce a child only pool?

I probably would have directed the old bitty to the adult pool in the spa. :D

There will probably not be a child-only pool on any ship because 1) the children who can't swim wouldn't be able to use it without an adult in the pool with them, and 2) a lot of irresponsible parents would leave little Timmy or Janie at the kids-only pool without any supervision, then try to sue the cruise line for negligence when their unsupervised children are injured.

"a lot of irresponsible parents would leave little Timmy or Janie at the kids-only pool without any supervision, then try to sue the cruise line for negligence when their unsupervised children are injured."

On the Norwegian Dawn they have a "kids' pool" at the back of the ship. It has dinosaur slides and water shooters. The "pool" itself is very small and less than 3 feet deep. It is more of a water play/slide area. I couldn't believe it but there were sometimes a couple of kids there without their parents. Another parent commented to me that he saw a parent drop off one kid and ask the supervising pool guy (not lifeguard) to "keep an eye" on junior.

When my naivete became obvious, the other parent started telling me horror stories about kids his daughters met that week who were basically left to fend for themselves while their parents partied. These kids were less than ten years old.

When my naivete became obvious, the other parent started telling me horror stories about kids his daughters met that week who were basically left to fend for themselves while their parents partied. These kids were less than ten years old.

You would have loved the thread on the Carnival board where people thought it was perfectly normal for their 6 and 8 year old to roam the ship unattended and a 12 year old with no curfew.

Oh and I am "sheltering" my poor kids. They will be scarred for life and need therapy. ;)

So it doesn't shock me that people drop their kids off at the kiddie pool and leave for the day.

Archived