Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

Thanks! I think most people here understand what I'm saying. I'm sure if I called Carnival and talked to 12 different people, I would get 12 different answers in regards to this issue. Not that I have the time or inclination to do that. Again, it's not a big deal, I just think Carnival should be more clear about what exactly the charge really is. BTW, we cruised with NCL not long before our Spirit cruise. I don't recall the mini-bar items having an added gratuity or whatever. Our final statement only listed the items at the price posted in the cabin.

I agree!

I also think you mentioning that it took 3 days for your room steward to open the mini bar leads me to believe he is not the one getting the extra 15%........or he would have been all over it the first day........it really would be nice to know where it goes....

Anyways thanks for the thread.....in the very least it's been entertaining:D

I think the problem is someone assuming they served themselves. Someone set up that mini bar, and replaced the items in it that you consume. They also made sure you had glasses and ice, so even though you poured the drink yourself, someone still provided all the necessary items to you. Either way gratuity or restocking still comes out to the same thing.

I don't think it is called being cheap but some times people don't fully understand the logistics of that item having been in your cabin in the first place. They only think I did it myself why should I pay someone but they forget how it got there and how it gets replaced. Of course I have wondered does the room steward get the tip/restocking fee - if so I have no problem with the charge being on there.

I have been called cheap because I will point out errors in products ringing incorrectly in stores but figure if they mischarge every customer just a few cents in the end the over all outcome is very drastic. It may be only pennies to me but can add up to lots by the time you add in every customer.

Hmmm.

My question would be:

"Why would anyone use anything from the mini fridge in the room anyway".

There's a whole ship full of bars and lounges, room service and gift shops to buy beverages and munchies......

Hmmm.

My question would be:

There's a whole ship full of bars and lounges' date=' room service and gift shops to buy beverages and munchies......[/quote']

The only time I've taken something from the fridge is when I've returned from an excursion and I'm hot and thirsty, but don't want to go to any of bars or lounges until I've showered first, but can't wait until then for a drink.

Hmmm.

My question would be:

There's a whole ship full of bars and lounges' date=' room service and gift shops to buy beverages and munchies......[/quote']

I try to avoid it, only because the darn fridges don't keep anything even HALFWAY cold to begin with.

Hmmm.

My question would be:

Two words:

DRUNK and LAZY ;)

Archived