Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

OK, now that I have your attention... :D

I'm off to Germany tomorrow for a unique sneak peek at soon-to-launch Celebrity Equinox, which is currently under construction at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg. On Friday, as is custom for ships built here, Equinox will depart the yard by being towed down the narrow River Ems -- backward! -- and you'll get to join me behind the scenes as I blog about it right here.

The backward transit, known as a conveyance, is the last step for Equinox before it heads out for inspections, final sea trials, pre-launch provisioning and preview cruises for travel agents and the press. It will officially enter service in Southampton on July 31. These conveyances are a huge deal -- when sister ship Celebrity Solstice made the transit last year, some 100,000 onlookers lined the banks to check it out. The interest lies in the fact that there's something almost unnatural about a mega-ship being pulled, by its behind, down a slim strip of river, assisted by two tugs.

First question I'll ask: Why don't they just build the ship facing forward?

I have plenty of other questions going into the trip, too. Does it feel different to cruise backward? And though I've visited shipyards to tour vessels in much earlier stages of construction, I've never sailed on an almost (but not quite) finished cruise ship. For instance, I don't know if there will be soap in my cabin or if I'll be awakened by last-minute hammering.

The bottom line: Traveling for business is fascinating but not always glamorous. I'm flying coach ... to sail on an unfinished ship ... in the "wrong" direction. And I'll be working around the clock. Do things go awry on the road? You bet (I've already been stranded in airports and on islands). Do I eavesdrop, spy or sneak around for the sake of research? Hey, when duty calls.... Will fellow journalists complain if a strong wind on the lido deck tussles their perfectly coiffed hair? We'll have to wait and see!

My journey will begin Wednesday afternoon as I wing my way from Newark Airport to Dusseldorf, where I'll arrive Thursday around 6 a.m. local time. There, I intend to sample the local lager, known as altbier (a little later in the day, of course). We'll board Equinox on Friday after an early-morning, multi-hour bus ride (I'll try to keep crankiness at a minimum!) from Dusseldorf to Papenburg for the conveyance and an overnight stay. Then, on Saturday, we'll disembark the ship and transfer to Amsterdam for another day of exploration ashore. Sunday, it's back to the States. Phew!

Along the way, I'll be writing about the ship (and how it differs from Solstice, on which I've sailed, if at all), the backward transit and Dusseldorf and Amsterdam -- both popular ports of call on European river cruises. Got questions? I am glad to answer as many as I can! There are just a few caveats. The actual conveyance is entirely dependent on weather and sea conditions and cannot be guaranteed. Also, I won't be able to answer questions about specific cabins, but pretty much anything else you want to know about the ship -- and a weekend in the life of a Cruise Critic editor -- is game.

Cross your fingers for smooth sailing, and stay tuned for my insider updates!

I did read somewhere that one reason the ship was "built backwards" is that the channel leading to the River Ems and the sea is very narrow, without enough room to turn the ship around after it leaves the building hall, and that with the rear mounted azipods it is more maneuverable (and easier to control) if going backwards.

Sounds reasonable to me, but again, it was something I read - and perhaps the writer was only putting forth a hypothesis.

Hmm that sounds reasonable to me, too -- and fascinating! I knew CC members would probably have some answers for me :) I'll let you know what I find out.

I did read somewhere that one reason the ship was "built backwards" is that the channel leading to the River Ems and the sea is very narrow, without enough room to turn the ship around after it leaves the building hall, and that with the rear mounted azipods it is more maneuverable (and easier to control) if going backwards.

Sounds reasonable to me, but again, it was something I read - and perhaps the writer was only putting forth a hypothesis.

I think you should celebrate the backwards cruise by wearing your shirt backwards and eating dessert first and appetizers last!

But seriously, I'm curious as to whether cruise staff will use you as a guinea pig -- testing out shows, dining room dances or trivia questions to get your reacations. Let us know!

As I finish my pre-trip planning, wondering if anyone has good lunch recommendations in Dusseldorf and/or Amsterdam?

Erica, I have a good friend who once ordered fried calamari for dessert -- and she was the envy of the table! So don't doubt me, I just may do that...

Hi Druke !

I've read that tidbit in several different locations, so it's probably accurate. I've also watched some video of Solstice sailing backwards through the River Ems, and its incredible how narrow some of the locations are (especially right at the very beginning of her journey). It looks like there's only a few feet to spare on each side. What's even more amazing is how the ships can do it with ease.

Hi Melissa !

What a great assignment !

Repeating a phrase I used 10 days ago, when many of us stayed up very late (after 2 am eastern time) and watched Equinox Undock live on the Meyer Werft webcam (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1000056) ..... We Wish We Werft There !!!!

I'm hoping to sail on Equinox in December. Have a great time onboard Equinox, and we look forward to your reports. Bon Voyage !

Hi Andy! Long time no "chat" -- I love that quote, "Wish We Werft There"!

I'll try to post lots of pictures too. In the meantime, my colleague Dan has put together this nifty slideshow of the latest photos of Equinox courtesy of the shipyard:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=910

Hi Melissa !

What a great assignment !

Repeating a phrase I used 10 days ago, when many of us stayed up very late (after 2 am eastern time) and watched Equinox Undock live on the Meyer Werft webcam (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1000056) ..... We Wish We Werft There !!!!

I'm hoping to sail on Equinox in December. Have a great time onboard Equinox, and we look forward to your reports. Bon Voyage !

Aren't those pictures gorgeous? I'm excited!

P.S. LOVE your little Maxine picture!!

I checked out the pictures and she looks beautiful. Melissa, I envy you even though it's a real whirlwind trip. I can't wait to read your blog. Have a wonderful trip and come back safely.

After a long security checkpoint that resembled a rock concert (big rowdy crowd) I'm on the plane and off to Dusseldorf any moment now. As soon as they make me turn off my gadgets, that is! I'll be checking in from the ground but feel free to leave me questions now.

(PS: Thanks to everyone already tuning in!)

It is 7 a.m. local time (1 a.m. EDT, which is the clock my body's set to!) and I am on the ground in Dusseldorf, at the Maritim Hotel right here next to the airport. I'm a champion sleeper but this flight, while otherwise uneventful, allowed for exactly 20 minutes of sleep -- I finally conked out right before we landed. Go figure.

New plan: Quick nap, then out to explore and have a nice lunch. It's chilly here right now but I see the promise of a nice, sunny day on the horizon.

Germany is a country that I've never visited other than connections at Frankfurt airport. I've always been intrigued by the mid-country landscape visible from the plane -- patches of varying agriculture that together make up a bit of a gigantic quilt. Dusseldorf, however, is situated on the water -- on the Rhine River to be exact. It's an economic center for Germany and a city known for its shopping and nightlife. In the Alstadt, or "Old City," locals and tourists frequent numerous pubs (and that's where you'll probably find me later)....

How great that you are all finding each other here! I hope to give you all a taste of what to expect through my posts.

saw you are from Canada...as are we. will be joining you on the 13th for a terrific cruise.. looking forward to it...any tips for restaurants in Rome??

Melissa looking forward to reading your backwards travels on Equinox. Sailed on Solstice in April and fell in love. Waiting to start another love affair with Equinox on our TA in November.

Remember when I said something always goes awry? In the office yesterday, we were discussing business trips and the worst things we have forgotten to pack or grab on the way out the door, from laptops to passports to deoderant. No matter how many lists I write, I always leave something -- often something important! -- behind. I just realized that I'll be in the market today on my travels for a converter.

North American cruise travelers are just a little bit spoiled! On most ships, even European ones from lines like Costa and MSC, 120 volt plugs are standard in the cabins. That means no matter where you are in the world, you don't have to worry about electricty conversion. Arrive at a hotel without the right equipment, however, and -- well, let's just say you better not need to charge that camera, that computer, that cell phone....

If that's the worst snag of the trip, though, I'll take it. There was one tense moment in the lobby when they couldn't find my reservation, but it ended up being under my maiden name (I was just married in October). Phew!

Archived