Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

Hi there! Blu is dedicated to AquaClass guests, for free (though upon availability, suites guests can make reservations and pay a $5 gratuity). However, I do believe that they can eat in the main dining room if they choose -- let me find out for you for sure.

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for all the info. I've booked for the "pre-maiden" voyage to Norway on July 31st, (aquaclass) and your posts have answered most of the my questions. I feel that I'll know my way around when I get there! My only query now is BLU, as I have seen mixed posts as to whether aquaclass eat their dinner there, or can choose between it and the main dining room.

Thanks, TARA in London

Check out the slideshow my colleague Dan helped me put together this morning: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=926

P.S. 9 out of 10 photos are mine; you'll quickly figure out which one isn't, I promise! :D

Thanks Melissa. That was fantastic.

Appreciate your information on all of this. It truly is fascinating.

Confirmed with Celebrity -- AquaClass guests are more than welcome to eat in the main dining room instead of Blu if they so choose!

Melissa

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for all the info. I've booked for the "pre-maiden" voyage to Norway on July 31st, (aquaclass) and your posts have answered most of the my questions. I feel that I'll know my way around when I get there! My only query now is BLU, as I have seen mixed posts as to whether aquaclass eat their dinner there, or can choose between it and the main dining room.

Thanks, TARA in London

Melissa & Franki - Thank you both so much for the beautiful pictures. I helps to satisfy the "Equinox" craving I'm having.

Melissa - just curious..... what cabin were you assigned to while onboard the ship?

Hi Melissa,

Can you clear up the difference between the Persian Garden and the Relaxation room? Is there a charge to use these rooms for non Aqua Class patrons? There seems to be quite a jump from our balcony cabin to AC. Trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks June

Hi there! I was in cabin 1178 on Deck 10 -- it is actually a Concierge Class cabin with a verandah, though the "perks" were obviously not available to us on this special press trip. In fact, our time onboard went so quickly I only got to spend about 4 hours in the cabin (3 of them sleeping).

It features a sitting area with a sofa, a 32-inch LCD TV (gorgeous, but not yet functioning). Eventually, there will be deck furniture, I'm sure :D It's 194 sq. ft. with a 54 sq. ft. balcony -- same size as a Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah.

Melissa & Franki - Thank you both so much for the beautiful pictures. I helps to satisfy the "Equinox" craving I'm having.

Melissa - just curious..... what cabin were you assigned to while onboard the ship?

Hi June,

They are different spaces:

* The Relaxation Room is exclusive to those booked in AquaClass cabins and features plush wicker loungers and lots of big windows overlooking the ocean.

* The Persian Garden also has an incredible view, but this is where you'll find heated tile loungers, a coed sauna and steam room, and a tropical rain shower feature with aromatherapy. AquaClass folks get complimentary access; non AquaClass folks can buy a pass ($99 for the week).

Hope that helps you make your decision! During the Q&A, Celebrity execs said that AquaClass customers found the Blu dining experience to be one of the selling points of the upgrade; it's just more intimate. Blu is reserved, complimentary, for AquaClass guests (though suite guests can dine there if there's availability for a $5 service charge).

Hi Melissa,

Can you clear up the difference between the Persian Garden and the Relaxation room? Is there a charge to use these rooms for non Aqua Class patrons? There seems to be quite a jump from our balcony cabin to AC. Trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks June

Hi there! I was in cabin 1178 on Deck 10 -- it is actually a Concierge Class cabin with a verandah, though the "perks" were obviously not available to us on this special press trip. In fact, our time onboard went so quickly I only got to spend about 4 hours in the cabin (3 of them sleeping).

It features a sitting area with a sofa, a 32-inch LCD TV (gorgeous, but not yet functioning). Eventually, there will be deck furniture, I'm sure :D It's 194 sq. ft. with a 54 sq. ft. balcony -- same size as a Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah.

Just as a side issue... was your bed by the window or the bathroom? (is it an alternate thing or are some cabins next door to each other with the same layout?)

Short answer: My bed was closer to the bathroom, with the sitting area couch on the other side between the bed and the sliding glass door to the balcony. I believe that's the layout in all cabins in that and similar categories, but I will double check for you!

Just as a side issue... was your bed by the window or the bathroom? (is it an alternate thing or are some cabins next door to each other with the same layout?)

Short answer: My bed was closer to the bathroom, with the sitting area couch on the other side between the bed and the sliding glass door to the balcony. I believe that's the layout in all cabins in that and similar categories, but I will double check for you!

With the exception of suites, which I am not familiar with, all cabins on the Solstice (which I was on in April) and the Equinox are set up in an alternating arrangement, such that the bed is against the window in alternating cabins, and against the closet in alternating cabins. There is a bump-out in the cabin that causes the alternating pattern.

Based on the last posting, how do you figure out where the bed is in any given cabin? Does it have something to do with the cabins that have a pulman and those that don't???

We were in 7111 (Sunrise Deck 7) and the bed was by the window. Unfortunately, the deck plans do not show the bump-out, so you would have find a known cabin and then go from there. Not sure if the sticky cabin thread has the details.

You're right about the deck plans, fotocruiser...thanks for the tip.

We were in 7111 (Sunrise Deck 7) and the bed was by the window. Unfortunately, the deck plans do not show the bump-out, so you would have find a known cabin and then go from there. Not sure if the sticky cabin thread has the details.

Reading with interest Cruise Critic contributor Sue Bryant's live blog from Seabourn Odyssey; she's on a pre-inaugural (the ship debuts tomorrow): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009103

The buzz, particularly among the writers I just traveled with (many of whom traveled on to join Sue in Venice), is that there is some concern about the ship being ready. And, indeed, Sue's been writing about the things that still need setting up, from the balcony dividers to the Internet connection. Some cabins are empty, and hundreds of workers are still onboard...

It's not uncommon for finishing touches to be put in place on shakedown or even inaugural sailings. But I have to compare her experience to mine on Equinox, which is six weeks from launch but looking almost cruise-ready already! Sure, they still have to put in furniture and pull up plastic from the carpeting. But I have no doubt that the ship will be in tip-top shape come July 31.

Keep up with Sue's blog, it's fascinating!

If you look at the top of the Celebrity Board, there is a STICKY about the Solstice Cabins. Mysticks has compiled a great spreadsheet including pretty much everything anyone has reported about their cabins on Solstice -- sister ship to Equinox. One of the points is whether bed is near bath or balcony!

Melissa - thanks for all the info. Some great photos & have loved all the commentary.

A question....

* The Relaxation Room is exclusive to those booked in AquaClass cabins and features plush wicker loungers and lots of big windows overlooking the ocean.

* The Persian Garden also has an incredible view, but this is where you'll find heated tile loungers, a coed sauna and steam room, and a tropical rain shower feature with aromatherapy. AquaClass folks get complimentary access; non AquaClass folks can buy a pass ($99 for the week).

unquote

We are booked on Eclipse for next year & have pushed the boat out (pun intended :D) for a posh suite . My question is do suite pax also have to pay the usd 99 to use the Perrsian Garden?

thanks

jo

I believe so, Jo...I'll double check, but I think AquaClass passengers are the only ones who receive complimentary access.

Melissa

Melissa - thanks for all the info. Some great photos & have loved all the commentary.

A question....

unquote

We are booked on Eclipse for next year & have pushed the boat out (pun intended :D) for a posh suite . My question is do suite pax also have to pay the usd 99 to use the Perrsian Garden?

thanks

jo

...about Equinox godmother, which will be officially announced today! U.K. writer Steve Read has written on his blog that the chosen one is Nina Barough, founder of the U.K.-based Walk The Walk breast cancer foundation. These charity events, in which fundraisers (men and women!) walk in their bras, have raised more than £48 million globally in the last 12 years. Barough herself is a breast cancer survivor.

We'll post more information about this in Cruise Critic News as we receive it, so stay tuned!

Wow, thanks Melissa for that early tidbit. My sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer last week, so I hope the rumor to be true and I hope Celebrity hosts a fund raising walk on the Equinox's sailings. We'll be on board August 31.

Archived