Time in Port - seems short

traveladdicted

I've never cruised Costa before (I've been on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean) so I'm trying to decide on my best option for the Med this fall.

I've found a couple of good deals with Costa for November but the time in port doesn't seem to be long enough to see much. For example, on one of the cruises we'd only be in Athens from 8:00AM to 1:00PM and on another in Mykonos from 6:00PM to 11:00PM. For a first (and perhaps only) time in Greece will we be able to see/do enough to make it worthwhile with these kinds of port times?

I might just be crazy but I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who have done these itineraries.

Thanks!!!

We just got off the Costa Victoria this past weekend! It was a fantastic trip. We were also concerned about the times in port.However, it worked out just fine. We did excursions in Athens,Santorini and Corfu which got us quickly off the ship.Getting off the ship in the other ports without the excursions was also done pretty quickly.I would really suggest an excursion in Athens since the pier is a little further to the city and sites than the other ports. We did the Acropolis/Platka tour. It was great since the bus ride to the Acropolis included a a tour of the city with a wondeful tour guide.I think I could have spent days in any of these great ports but never felt like I didn't get the full flavor.Hope this helps!-Kade

Wow, five hours in Athens, and it will take time to get off the ship, and you will need to be back on the ship a half hour early. In addition, as I recall, it is about a 15 or 20 minute ride from the port into Athens. The remaining time is really not enough to see even a fraction of what's there. Are you sure about the time in port? This is usually an important stop on a Med. cruise.

On the other hand, five hours in Mykonos is probably enough time to do a little shopping, walk around, and get something to eat and drink. It's a beautiful and enjoyable place, but there is not much there. The other Greek isles, such as Santorini, Korfu, and Rhodes also could be seen in a short amount of time. Another short stop usually is Katakolon, which is the port for Olympia.

In any event, i would not want to go all the way to Athens and have only three to four hours to see the sights there.

Archived