Disembarking time in Valparaiso

NDRB

I did resend the email, Jennie, and Pancho replied today, but didn't give any idea about what itinerary he could provide, just the $170 cost of the van.

I had given him our pickup and drop off times and said we would like a tour of Santiago as well as seeing the vineyards (no long lunch stop necessary)...

I'm a little concrened about his English- did the people who recommeneded him say that they were able to clearly understand the guide? From tours we've taken in the past, that can certainly ruin a tour if the guide's English is poor or too heavily accented to understand...

I take it the others felt he was reliable? (Even MORE important in this situation than in just a shore excursion, of course!)

Nina

We got his name from one of the cruise reviews either on this board or from another Board. I believe he has clearance from the National Tourisim Office. I think his English is fine for a second language and we are going to use him. In fact he sent me an email today apologising for not getting back to us immediately and asking if could we wait until next week. We have asked him quite a few questions and he has responded to most of them.

Jennie

Jennie, Pancho did write back again and sounds like he might be fine, so I think we'll probably go with him, too- thanks very much for the recommendation.

If he does a good job, I'll sure he'll be "swimming" in business from this board- too bad for Jamie...

Of course I'm not "Anglocentric" enough to expect flawless English, but after a tour guide in Poland, one in Russia, and several tour guides in China whose English was incomprehensible to all in the group, I just don't want to be disappointed... (I really did have to admire each of those tour guides for making such valiant efforts, though! I know I wouldn't be capable of doing the same in their languages!)

Nina

Jennie- we're leaving on HAL on March 30th. I'll let you know what I think!

We're doing all our excurisons with HAL except for BA and Valparaiso- this is a first for me, as I make a point of touring on my own (except in someplace like China!) or with an outside tour company. I just don't like being "herded" and having to wait around for others ad nauseum or, conversely, being rushed when I might like to spend more time somewhere...

Nina

(I'm the one who lived in Toorak many years ago- my father was with the Consulate...)

Nina,

Of course, you lived in St. Georges Road near Harold Holt's former home. I will look forward to your report at the end of April.

We normally do some excurisons on our own and some with the ship. At the moment we will be doing about 50-50. We are definitely doing B.A. with Carlos, Panchos will pick us up at the end of the cruise and we are thinking of doing Ushaiaa and Puerto Cacabucco on our own.

We will do Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Stanley and Puerto Montt with the ship.

Have you been looking at the Australian Open at all. It has been wonderful tennis. We are in the middle of a heat wave - it has been 35C each day since Tuesday - and we are hoping for a cool change tomorrow.

Jennie

Archived