Sun's Next Drydock

canuckgal

Does anyone know when the Sun is next scheduled to be refurbished? I'm looking at the 14 day Caribbean for 2010 (half the price of the other 14 day cruises!), but wondering if she will really be showing her age by then. I know they do a great job of maintaining her, but there is only so much they can do before she'll need some cosmetic surgery. any info would be appreciated.

Does anyone know when the Sun is next scheduled to be refurbished? I'm looking at the 14 day Caribbean for 2010 (half the price of the other 14 day cruises!), but wondering if she will really be showing her age by then. I know they do a great job of maintaining her, but there is only so much they can do before she'll need some cosmetic surgery. any info would be appreciated.

I recall the Sun had a drydock late last year. She shouldn't be seeing another drydock for another three years.... probably not until late 2011 or early to mid 2012.... She should be in wonderful shape for 2009 and into 2010.....

Since drydocks are usually scheduled every three years, she won't be looking raged until 2011....

I understand there is nothing like a new ship, or even a like new ship just out of drydock. But they do refurbish them every three years or so, before they get too tacky.....

If you have to have the like new experience, book cruises on ships just out of drydock.....

Per SOSAS (Safety Of Ships At Sea) regulations, cruise ships must drydock twice every 5 years. Some countries, including the Bahamas where most NCL ships are registered, will allow extending time between drydocks, but no longer than 5 years after the last drydock. (Timed so that there are two drydocks within 5 years)

For example, if a cruise ship has a drydock 3 years after one, then it must have another 2 years later. Ideally, they would do a drydock every 2.5 years.

Suppose a cruse ship had to have an early drydock caused by propulsion problems a year after a planned drydock. Then it could push the next planned drydock out to 4 years later.

Keeping track of drydocks for every ship gets confusing very fast. Some cruise web sites keep track of the year of the last refurbishments, some don't. Still, one would have to know the month and year of the last two drydocks to predict when the next drydock must occur by.

I recall the Sun had a drydock late last year. She shouldn't be seeing another drydock for another three years.... probably not until late 2011 or early to mid 2012.... She should be in wonderful shape for 2009 and into 2010.....

Since drydocks are usually scheduled every three years, she won't be looking raged until 2011....

According to one of the popular cruise sites the Sun was last in dry dock 2004.

We were on her in November for 14 day South America cruise and thought the ship was in acceptable condition and would go on her again tomorrow.

According to one of the popular cruise sites the Sun was last in dry dock 2004.

We were on her in November for 14 day South America cruise and thought the ship was in acceptable condition and would go on her again tomorrow.

2004 is much too long ago. Per a search of this very forum, I discovered,

"To be precise, the Sun returned to New Orleans on 23 January 2007 after her drydock."

Therefore, the Sun's last drydock was in January 2007. Using the every three year formula, looks like 2010 will be likely for the Sun's next drydock.

Looking for a 2 week break in the Sun's schedule, it looks like the Sun's next drydock will occur in October 2010.

The Sun arrives back in Dover from a Baltic cruise on September 8, 2010.

The Sun starts its next (4 day) cruise from Port Canaveral on October 5, 2010.

The Sun starts its next (7 day) cruise from Port Canaveral on October 23, 2010.

That's a 27 day gap between September 8 and October 5. Time for two repositioning cruises from Dover to New York, and New York to Port Canaveral.

From October 9 to October 23rd there is a 14 day gap, about right for a 14 day drydock in the Bahamas.

Archived