Dubrovnik sheelchair access

Unfortunately Europe is not anything like the USA when it comes to handicap accessibilty. In fact, I can't really remember seeing any wheelchairs on either one of our trips to the Mediterranean. Cobble streets, sometime tiny or non-existent sidewalks, no sidewalk ramps, tons and tons of steps and stairs (everywhere). Rome especially as it is a hilly area. Florence too. The Amalfi coast is all steps and stairs..... villages built on the side of rock. Venice has its bridges and on and on....

The wall in Dubrovnik is definately not wheelchair accessible. The steps going up are tiny and steep.....and the railing was loose..... I ended up practically on my hands and knees and I am not particularly afraid of heights...... The "downstairs" area has nice promenade and square which is pretty even. Off of that are tiny "streets" you can walk but most involve hundreds of stairs :eek: This whole area was built as a fortifide city way back when.......

While in Rome last Oct I did notice that they are moving in the right direction concerning handicap access. Many street corners have ramps (albeit quite steep in many cases). I guess that they are still on the learning curve.

Florence is not that bad. Most of the popular areas or really quite level. Curbs, for the most part, are not that high. The pavement/sidewalks are relatively smooth (for Italy).

I do not recall seeing any handicap access for any part of the wall. If it were anywhere, it would be near the marina/port side and the amount of wall that could be covered would be quite limited.

Our 15 yo daughter will need a wheelchair while we are in Dubrovnik - is any of the wall around the old city wheelchair accessible?

There is no way for your daughter to visit the city walls in a wheelchair. There are a total of 650 steps spread through tout and 2 kilometers long.

However she could do the Cabrio bus trip if she is able to get up a couple of stairs with assistance. This would be a wonderful 2 hour trip on a open air bus, with sun roof, and it does have headsets in English. The cost is 90 Kuna per person, they do NOT accept any other currency but Croatian Kuna and NO credit cards. The bus departs from the Pile Brsalje Square several times per day.

She can also enter the old town via either Pile or Ploce gate entrances and spend time in the old town. Most doorways of shops have a step up and are very narrow, so be aware of these small obstacles.

I do notice all wheelchair possibilities, as my niece is also wheelchair bound with MS. Any further help I can give you, please let me know.

• 4 years later...

Hi:

Need clarification: Is is possible to take a taxi up to the top destination of the cable car lift, to the top of the mountain? When you mentioned the 100 steps to the cable car station, are referring to the distance from the entrance to the cable car station or ticket booth to where you board the car, or are you referring to the distance from parking or disembarking ground transportation to the boarding area?

Hi:

Need clarification: Is is possible to take a taxi up to the top destination of the cable car lift, to the top of the mountain? When you mentioned the 100 steps to the cable car station, are referring to the distance from the entrance to the cable car station or ticket booth to where you board the car, or are you referring to the distance from parking or disembarking ground transportation to the boarding area?

Yes you can take a taxi to the top of the mountain, have no idea of the fee. You can also take a taxi to the entrance to the cable car, which is also where the tickets are sold. All of it is located in small area, exit and entrance to the car, ticket purchase and actual cable car.

When I refer to the 103 steps, those are located at the bottom of the shortcut to reach the entrance. You can avoid the steps by walking in the road to reach the entrance, but do beware of the cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived