ohh my my!!! Roaming charges on cruise

Tammylyne

Didnt know this but I had my cell phone on during most of the cruise..though I did not use the phone..I just got my bill today and can I tell you my eyes went like this :eek:

Beware if you have your cell phone on your company may charge you roaming charges even if you don't make any calls, or even use it. Simply having it on will rack up a pretty penny :)

Without reading this entire thread....I had read other threads, particularly about smartphones....I had called my carrier, Sprint, to set up international calling rates....but then someone had said you will still get data sent even if you don't use the phone....so once out of NY, I turned off the entire phone....and only turned it on the day before arriving home, I had made one phone call home, it was on International....and then shut it off....

I have to check my bill.....

For those who use their phones for the clock feature....our phones did strange things two weeks ago on the Fascination.

My son's phone thought it was 6 hours earlier than it actually was. It also thought it was November, 1999.

My husband's phone was also six hours off but it thought it was 1980!!!!

We thought we were going back in time..........

Did you have to wear FORMAL clothes to dinner?

Everytime your phone rings, even if you don't answer it, you get charged. Depending on phonee type, you might get charged everytime the phone notiifes you of a missed call or voicemail.

Every outgoing call, incoming call and text message you will get charged.

You are CORRECT.

I have never had a problem until our May cruise.

My cell bill was $70ish more that month. Could not figure out why.

Searched my online bill and found out why.

I had left my phone on for TEXT updates on a death in the family.

I only had about 10 texts total.

The others charges said calls.

I had not made any voice calls. None. People did try to call me and the calls did go to voice mail.

I dont think its right that this happens.... that sucks!

PS- it happened to my Mom on this same cruise also.

WE both have ATT

Calls that go to vm are not charged. It is the text messages that got you. Disable them before you cruise. I have them disabled period.

When you check your vm on verizon it goes against your airtime that is where you were charged. You are not charged for just having the phone on we had ours 24/7 and was only charged when we used it. Our bill was $79 for using it and we used it for 1/2 hour or so. We will be checking again before we go in October

Mike

For those who use their phones for the clock feature....our phones did strange things two weeks ago on the Fascination.

My son's phone thought it was 6 hours earlier than it actually was. It also thought it was November, 1999.

My husband's phone was also six hours off but it thought it was 1980!!!!

We thought we were going back in time..........

Maybe something was wrong with the flux capacitor!?!?!?!?

Bob :)

My post didn't show up, hope it don't show up after I do this. Anyhow, it all depends on where your phone was last registered on the network. If you were on your phone's network and shut it down for the cruise, you'll be safe with your VM. If you turn it on and somebody tries to call you, your phone will be shown on the at sea network, that's when all Hell breaks loose on your bill. I know it sucks and it's wrong, but Tmobile went over those instructions in great detail before my last detail. I was so greatful for their honesty.

You were charged for the text messages and voice mail notifications. Simply having the phone on will not incurr any charges.

Of course, since you never know when someone is going to send you a text message or voice mail, it's best to simply turn the radio on your phone off (put it into flight mode).

Verizon...I recieved some texts but when I called Verizon I was told yep you are charged even if your not using it..its roaming and those roaming charges apply as long as your phone is on :eek:

147.00 :eek: :eek: :eek:

If they try and charge me I will fight that bill! we just switched to Verizon 2 months ago and I called to ask... TWICE... and both times they told me (and DH on speakerphone) that we only get charged when we USE it! I spoke to 2 different reps and both times, DH overheard the call!

My two cents...been on 3 cruises, have Verizon, turned the phone on and off a few times while on board to see what calls I missed, used it in La Paz and my bill was normal. No roaming charges or any other funky stuff.

I did call Verizon before my first cruise and I was told I would NOT get charged $2.49 unless I used the phone to make a call while ON the ship and away from port, otherwise while in an international port and NOT on the ship, I would be charged normal "roaming" fees which (If I remember right) was around, gosh, can't quite remember, maybe 39 cents a minute?

For turning on the phone while at sea and checking missed calls, (Not making ANY calls) I was not charged any roaming, as I understand it, it's only if you answer the call, check voicemails or call out, that is the ONLY time you get charged thru Cellular at Sea.

So far that's worked for me..lol :)

Archived