Where can i get...

ksatte03

Biodegradable sunscreen?

Apparently when snorkeling in Cozumel, that's all you're allowed to use so it doesn't damage the coral reefs.

Is this something I can just pick up at the local drugstore? If so, what brands?

Thanks!! :)

Biodegradable sunscreen?

Apparently when snorkeling in Cozumel, that's all you're allowed to use so it doesn't damage the coral reefs.

Is this something I can just pick up at the local drugstore? If so, what brands?

First I've heard this. I know in Xcaret that's the requirement but never heard about being for all of Cozumel.

I'd love to see the answers to your question as well about where to purchase it.

Bill

Biodegradable sunscreen?

Have you tride a google search ????;)

Just curious....how do they enforce this?:confused: Do they do a scraping of everyone's skin before entering the water?

Sorry Senor...our coppertone-o-mometer says your sunscreen is no muy biodegradeble...you must drink 4 tequila shots and sing with a mariachi band!;)

Please ignore the rude posters above who aren't answering your question. ;)

You can get the biodegradeable stuff at places like natural foods stores or online.

Yes, there are places in Cozumel that ask for it - Playa Uvas is one that requires it. No one can tell other than if they see your bottle - it's an honor system. Hopefully everyone will want to preserve the reef and follow the guidelines. Playa Uvas recommended Coppertone Oil Free to us but I have also read that it is not truly biodegradeble.

Of course another concern with sunscreen these days is whether or not it contains an ingredient called Oxybenzone that has now actually been linked to INCREASING your risk of skin cancer. Many Drs. are now recommending avoiding sunscreens with it and it's very tough to find -even the "all natural" brands have it.

Please ignore the rude posters above who aren't answering your question. ;)

Googled "Rude Poster" and only came up with "humor";)

This is a vacation board...part of vacationing is having fun...I don't consider asking how they enforce it with some levity to the question as rude.

• 1 year later...
you're a real jerk, people come here for help and answers from cruise minded people and you make stupid commments like that.

Not sure if the person you are responding to will see your post. The post you responded to is over a year old and the person you responded to hasn't been on Cruise Critic since March.:)

Bill

we were advised we needed biodegradable sunscreen when we made reservations for swimming with dolphins. I bought mine at target.com. It seemed most of the people around us were putting on regular sunscreen, but I guess if some of us use it, it is still better for the dolphins. It was hard to find some with a high spf though and we are really fair-skinned.

It doesn't have to do with just the oil. It's the other ingredients in the ones that aren't specifically marked "Biodegradeable" or the like.

Interesting reading:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080129-sunscreen-coral.html

I wouldn't normally consider myself a "tree hugger", but this is serious stuff, whether they "check" or not. I bought Mexitan off of eBay and it was SPF 30.

Archived