Pride Review, 6/13-6/20

kxk0509

Hi everyone. I just got off of the Pride yesterday afternoon. It was my first cruise, and I got so much helpful information here I thought I would try to return the favor. If I leave anything out or if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

I was heading up to Baltimore from DC, so it was a very easy drive for me. We got to the port a little after 1, and we just drove right up, dropped off our luggage, strolled in and got our boarding number (zone 15). We got dropped off by a friend, so we didn't park there. Once the boarding process started it went very quickly and we were probably on the ship around 2:30 or so. When I looked down at the parking lot a little later there was a long line of cars waiting to drop off luggage, so earlier (but not too early!) is better if you can swing it.

The ship left pretty promptly, and our luggage arrived without a problem. We had four bottles of wine in two suitcases and there was no issue. Also had a corkscrew and a small pen knife.

We had great weather the entire time except for a late afternoon thunderstorm on Half Moon Cay (which was actually pretty funny), and the last morning as we sailed into Baltimore. Every other day was absolutely gorgeous!

We had two Coast Guard airlifts for separate medical emergencies -- both heart attacks, I believe. One was on Sunday morning, the second was a few hours after we left Freeport.

First stop was Grand Turk, where we did the Snuba excursion. It was a lot of fun for someone who has only been snorkeling before. John, the snuba instructor, was just about the most laid back dude I had ever encountered. He was great. The pool by the Margaritaville restaurant was soooo nice. I wish I had done more shopping in Grand Turk, because I thought it was the best shopping of all the ports (well, Grand Turk and Freeport anyway. No shopping on Half Moon Cay). I didn't buy a lot there because I figured Freeport shopping would be similar or even better. It wasn't. I did buy a beautiful Tanzanite ring on Grand Turk. You will never pay the price on the tag, at least not for jewelry. They were always willing to discount.

Half Moon Cay was as gorgeous as everyone says. Hot as the blazes, but just beautiful. We opted to rent floats for $12 and pretty much stayed in the water the whole day.

Freeport was kind of a let down for us. We opted not to do any excursions and took a cab to the Lucaya market. Plenty of expensive jewelry, but not much else worth looking at for me. I did buy a couple of t-shirts for my nephews and a cute pair of earrings. Again, all prices are negotiable!

We had a 9 year old in tow, and he really enjoyed his Camp Carnival activities and made some friends. He felt comfortable roaming the ship on his own, but we did bring a cheap walkie talkie set with us, which came in handy. I saw another poster mention that her child was being bullied by another kid at Camp Carnival. Our kid was also bullied by the pool one day. I wonder if it was the same boy? On the second formal night there was an optional Camp Carnival party that went from 10 PM to 3:30 AM (small additional charge). Our kid did it and had a total blast.

After reading many horror stories, I was kind of scared about the bar bill. We brought four bottles of wine on board, three of which we had in the room while we got ready for dinner and one that we took to the dining room on the second formal night. They did not charge the $10 corkage fee, but that was probably an oversight. I will note that we are not all- day drinkers. We usually had one or two by the pool, a cocktail before dinner, a bottle of wine at dinner (which we often didn't finish, so they would hold it for you until the next day if you desired), and then perhaps one or two more drinks after dinner. Perhaps it's because the drink prices are so outrageous in DC, but I found the prices for all drinks (wine, cocktails, etc.), to be very reasonable, much less than I'd pay in a DC restaurant or bar.

If you are interested in any spa treatments, do NOT book before the cruise. I looked at the prices prior to departure and thought the prices were outrageous. Once you got on board there were specials every day. I had a 50 minute massage/facial combo one day which was lovely, and on the last day I had an amazing scalp massage with indian oils. Ahhh. No problem getting appointments.

I know I'm leaving out a ton of info, so if you have questions just ask! :)

Karen

thanks for the review. Did you love cruising? Have you planned your next cruise? What did you like the most? What suprised you? Sorry for all the questions. I just love hearing from first timers.

thanks for the review. Did you love cruising? Have you planned your next cruise? What did you like the most? What suprised you? Sorry for all the questions. I just love hearing from first timers.

We had a great time, and it was especially great for children. They announced that out of 2000+ passengers on board, almost 900 were 18 and under! So obviously very family friendly.

I haven't planned my next cruise yet, but could see myself doing one in the next couple of years. I've always been more of an adventure traveler (e.g., cycling across Turkey and Morocco, hiking in the Pyrenees), but a relaxing beach/pool vacation certainly fits the bill once in awhile! It would be great if the Pride changed ports every so often, because Baltimore was a real draw for me.

Hmmm, what did I like the most. There wasn't much that I didn't like, but we really loved the open dining option. We hated the idea of having to plan our day around what time we needed to be at dinner, so this option was really great. We never had to wait for a table once. And although this is just a minor thing, we really loved the afternoon tea.

And what surprised me was how friendly all the crew were. I expected them to be friendly, but they were just amazing all around, especially given the hours they work. Those jobs can't be easy, even if they are on a cruise ship. I guess no one is ever in a bad mood!

Hi! I board the Pride on Friday. VERY excited.

What cabin were you in? Did you like it?

When is the afternoon tea? Is it every day, or just some days?

We were in 8267, which had a great balcony. So happy we went for that option and doubt that I could ever cruise again without a balcony!

Afternoon tea was on three different days at 3:30PM. A nice respite from being in the sun all day. It was crowded, so get there early!

Karen,

You did a great job reviewing the cruise and ports. We were along on the same cruise, and probably in one of those cars waiting on line to drop luggage and park.

Thought I would add some pictures to highlight the cruise.

The Pride docked at Grand Turk.

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville as seen from the pool area

A view of the ocean through the palms.

The Coast Guard performing the first medical evacuation on Sunday morning.

Jack posing at Jack's Shack, the best little joint on the island.

PIC_5143.jpg.0394cc8ccc1b3b9b2f70fe8edb6b8336.jpg

PIC_5382.jpg.7fa0ed5b682c00f592584511bba6f134.jpg

PIC_5120.jpg.7ca4b9cea2cbca9dec87615686ecba35.jpg

PIC_4818.jpg.04e0616ebf456d724f799a6fd6232730.jpg

PIC_5164.jpg.c77dbb4248b7778ad0d989b458022cbc.jpg

Archived