Destiny Dining?

Hi All, Very interested in Caribbean on Destiny next year, and just wanted to know if it's fixed dining in main restaurant i.e. you sit with the same people every night, unlike Celebration where you sit with different ones? In my personal opinion, if there's just 2 of you, fixed dining is the perfect option as we have made many friends this way, completely enhancing our holiday and that is the only thing I would change on the Celebration. Hubbie & I have just returned from Costa Classica Far East inc Japan and it would have been VERY boring if we had not met super older English couple on our table, as entertainment was excrutiatingly poor (plus it was in 5 languages). The whole Thomsom package really can teach the others a thing or 2!

Hi, yes, it is fixed dining on Destiny - often tables of 6/8. The waiters are great too - they end each sitting with a couple of songs, calling it 'showtime!' - even the Maitre d' joins in! It's a very jolly atmosphere.

The Lido restaurant is rather different from Celebration though - there isn't an enclosed dining area and it's relatively 'open' but it's good for al fresco lunches etc. and is quite well suited to the Caribbean where it's warm, but we do prefer the main restaurant for evening meals.

We enjoyed our Caribbean trip on Destiny, fab itineraries - and the entertainment was fantastic too! I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

Hi All, Very interested in Caribbean on Destiny next year, and just wanted to know if it's fixed dining in main restaurant i.e. you sit with the same people every night, unlike Celebration where you sit with different ones? In my personal opinion, if there's just 2 of you, fixed dining is the perfect option as we have made many friends this way, completely enhancing our holiday and that is the only thing I would change on the Celebration. Hubbie & I have just returned from Costa Classica Far East inc Japan and it would have been VERY boring if we had not met super older English couple on our table, as entertainment was excrutiatingly poor (plus it was in 5 languages). The whole Thomsom package really can teach the others a thing or 2!

Yes it is fixed dining and a great ship so you will love it. However, I prefer the open dining and also to dine on our own table and not share, so I will only book the Destiny when there isn't another cruise available.

There is no right and wrong way to do this, and I am sure thats why it isn't uniform throughout the Thomson ships. People have their own personal preferences, and I think Thomson cater to these different preferences on purpose so they pick up the maximum passengers.

Just to add to this.

Can you please tell me the etiquette if you are not going to be eating in the Dining Room on a particular evening, say in the buffet instead or late back from an excursion.

Do we let the head waiter know or perhaps one of the other diners so they are not delayed eating while waiting for us to turn up.

Thanks,

Berwyn

Just to add to this.

Can you please tell me the etiquette if you are not going to be eating in the Dining Room on a particular evening, say in the buffet instead or late back from an excursion.

Do we let the head waiter know or perhaps one of the other diners so they are not delayed eating while waiting for us to turn up.

Thanks,

Berwyn

It's always a good idea to let your table waiters and your table mates know so they don't wait for you to arrive. Having said that a couple of times during our last Destiny cruise the waiters took it in their stride when one or other of the couples didn't arrive. They just started the service anyway. So if your plans change at the last minute I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Have a good cruise.

Eddie :)

We went on destiny this year to Carribean and loved it

We dislike eating with other passengers,fixed dining places and times.

We ate in the open air Lido every night.Not saying the food was brilliant but it was fine for us[i'm not fussy about food]

You could turn up any time after 6 p.m and sit where you liked without being fussed over by waiters[self service],eat at your own pace and eat as much or as little as you liked.It was brilliant.

You will have a great time.The Destiny is a fantastic ship with a great atmosphere amongst the passengers

Archived