Sapphire Princess Food Questions

simba005

This is our first Princess cruise, so we are really looking forward to it, we have heard that the food can be much better then RCCL (which we have loved cruising on). However, since I am always thinking about my stomach I am wondering if you can provide some additional info:

*What type of seafood is on the dinner buffet

*What is on the late night buffet

*What are the breakfast/lunch highligts on the bueffet (I imagine this is pretty standard, nothing special)

*Do the AD rooms have a full 'different' menu (saw some very old copies) or do they only have one special item in addition to the main menu

*The pub lunch sounds interesting, any experience?

*Any other secret food (similar to the pub lunch) i.e. do they have chicken wings/nachos at any of the bars in the evening/what about sushi/ect.

*Anything else I might be forgetting but that you think is important to ensuring that I eat well:-)

Thanks in advance

They do have sushi, but because it is not made that very instance, I find it a little dry. In the buffet, they always have seafood and a large variety. One day it may be salmon and another day crab legs. Almost always they have smoked salmon, often from breakfast right on through the whole day. My favorite breakfast item is their french toast. Believe it or not, it has like a corn flake crust. If you are a foodie, DO NOT miss the chefs dinner. It costs $75 per person, but let me tell you, what an experience. This dinner lasts about 4 hours and includes wine pairings, a tour of the galley(they are actually working when you tour it), fantastic appetizers, and a photo and signed cookbook. I did it once and plan on doing it again this summer. Sorry, I can't remember all your other questions.

I can answer a couple of your questions. Although it has been awhile since I sailed on the Sapphire, I think it's about the same on all Princess ships. I don't remember specific details about what was offered on the buffet for lunch or dinner, but there was always a wide variety of items including carved meats, fish, pasta, salads and fruit. Usually at the breakfast buffet, they have someone making fresh eggs/omelets to order so you're not limited to the pre-prepared scrambled eggs that don't taste like eggs at all. LOL

The menus are the same in all of the dining rooms except for one specialty item. At least that's how it was when I sailed on this ship.

You also have the Chef's Table, Ultimate Balcony Dining, Sabitini's, Sterliing Steakhouse, patisserie, pizza, grill, room service. There's no way to go hungry!

Bon Apetit! :)

Thanks, this just gets me hungrier thinking of all the good food. I am excited to hear that there is seafood on the buffet. I had been looking forward to this on our previous RCCL cruises, but really only got fish. Have you been on Princess recently, or is there a chance this has been a victim of cost cutting?

My wife is certainly looking forward to the French Toast, everyone seems to talk about that and the Fettucini.

Any thoughts on hidden food (like the pub lunch) or what is on the late night buffet?

Thanks again - hmm, I can almost taste it...

• 2 weeks later...

Had a conversation with the executive chef on CB last month. He told me that the food budget has NOT been cut. In fact, they are in more trouble for going under budget than over.

You can check the lunch menu outside the dining room and if it is appealing you could eat there. I am a Princess fan (not cheerleader). I am not a fussy eater but I love seafood. Somehow the seafood at the buffet has not caught my fancy at lunch. The seafood at lunch in the dining room has been excellent. But then at dinner unless the waiter recommends the sea food I choose other dishes. We were on Sapphire in May 2009 and last year Syd / LA 30-days. In May, there was no pub lunch on the Sapphire.

Archived