Question for Cruisinmama06

Kingisacruiser

Hi Cruisinmama, please share your wisdom about cruising with children and Camp Carnival. I am sailing on the Miracle in July. We will have 2 children in the 2-5 age group and one in the 12-14 age group. On formal nights, if the kids do not eat in the MDR, do they have their own formal nights in camp and are they as formal as being in the MDR?

Widsom, LMBO! ;) Thanks...lol.

But to answer your question, yes the kids have their own camp formal in the Lido. It opens in the club at 6pm for "drinks" and then they all go to the Lido at 7pm. The older kids met at one of the lounges for drinks.

No, I would say it's not as formal as the MDR. Some kids are dressed up, but some aren't. The menu has things like pizza, chicken fingers, etc. So no, they won't be having lobster at their formal. :)

I had a problem with their formal night dinner on Triumph so I should have just kept the kids with me. Before dropping them off, I asked each group's counselor IF lil sis saw big sis and she wanted to sit with her, could they? They both said yes, no problem, the kids can sit together. I knew that if my 5 year old saw my 9 year old, she would want to sit with her to eat. So I tried to be prepare the counselors in advance. Both counselors told me NO PROBLEM. And since on our previous 2 carnival cruises (Elation & Sensation) allowed this, I thought, no problem.

Later, I find out that when my 5 year old got to the buffet, she saw my 9 year old, she ran to her, gave her a hug and wanted to eat with her {as suspected}. The counselors pulled them apart and told my 5 year old to "go sit down with her group". So my 5 year old cried {as expected} and really didn't eat. :( And they made the kids sit just 2 tables apart. They should have just let them sit with each other.

It wouldn't have upset me so much if I hadn't already talked to the same counselors about this not more than 10 minutes before. :mad: If they would have told me no, I would have taken my 5 year old with me.

As it turned out, I was called away by Camp Carnival from my formal dinner anyway. So even I didn't get to eat at formal that night.

Sorry, I am still bitter...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....probably not the answer you were expecting. ;)

You can see the camp schedules for many Carnival ships at the link in my signature - make sure you click on DISPLAY ALL...there over over 100 pages there and it's easier to scan if you click display all

Thanks for the quick response, Oh Wise One (LoL) :D! I can't believe you warned them and they still didn't listen. But of course, you are only their mother what would you know. Geez! And then to have them sitting two tables away from each other, that is like torturing the younger child. I read your review of the time on the Triumph. If I get a call about my child abusing a rubber shark, I'm going to hit the counselor upside the head with the stupid thing (not that I condone violence). Unbelievable! But I will still give it a try. My 2 youngest will be in the same age group, so hopefully no issues. But mine are just like your two. When my daughter sees her brother after school, she runs and gives him a big hug and a kiss. He may not like it so much but he tolerates it. I think it is comforting to him in a weird sort of way.

I wanted to ask you another question. I posted it under the fashion and beauty and got one response that doesn't really help. I know that Carnival dress code on non formal nights allows jeans in the dining room, but in reality how many people show up in jeans or are people more dressed up in slacks, collared shirts (for men) or button up shirts. This for the Carnival trip in July to the Eastern Carribbean.

When my daughter sees her brother after school, she runs and gives him a big hug and a kiss. He may not like it so much but he tolerates it. I think it is comforting to him in a weird sort of way.

Yep, same here. They may fight like cats/dogs at home...but when they see each other in school, it's like they haven't seen each other for years...lol

I wanted to ask you another question. I posted it under the fashion and beauty and got one response that doesn't really help. I know that Carnival dress code on non formal nights allows jeans in the dining room, but in reality how many people show up in jeans or are people more dressed up in slacks, collared shirts (for men) or button up shirts. This for the Carnival trip in July to the Eastern Carribbean.

I can only answer about the 4 day cruises on CCL, but yes, people do wear jeans to the dining room on non-formal night. One of my fellow cruisers and I actually pointed it out to another fellow CCer here (Brian BigFoot...lol) that he was wearing JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM :eek: {insert gasp here!}

Yes, we were joking with him. :D But yes, he was wearing JEANS. :eek: {insert scream here}

{Brian reads the fam board, so I look for him to jump in here in a few hours...LOL}

Hi Michelle...Wow...I had never really read the "family board"....was directed here from one of your posts about cruising with kids....but sure am glad I found it! Anyways...got a question for you that i'm sure you can answer seeing all of your many cruises with your girls! We have 3 kids..ages 12, 14 and 16...and have only cruised RCCL.....have thought about cruising Carnival but just have not ventured there as of yet. Do you and your kids have a favorite cruise line or ship? Thanks for your advice! I'm sure my kids would be happy on any cruise....but was just wondering?? :)

I can only answer about the 4 day cruises on CCL, but yes, people do wear jeans to the dining room on non-formal night. One of my fellow cruisers and I actually pointed it out to another fellow CCer here (Brian BigFoot...lol) that he was wearing JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM :eek: {insert gasp here!}

Yes, we were joking with him. :D But yes, he was wearing JEANS. :eek: {insert scream here}

{Brian reads the fam board, so I look for him to jump in here in a few hours...LOL}

yup I wore jeans in the dining room. But I wore a suit and jacket on formal night. I did see(and michele would have seen if not for the darn shark) a whole family wearing jeans on formal night. I didn't have a problem with jeans and a nice shirt on non formal. I did bring dress pants and dress shirts for dinner but got lazy and didn't feel like changing.

The dress code says that as long as they aren't cut-offs or real short shorts that you can wear jeans, shorts or whatever you want in the dining room. I wore jeans and no one said a thing and surprisingly no one (other then pat and michele crasherettes) said a thing to us. Also one thing they didn't notice were the sneakers that I had on my feet. I made sure they weren't the run down kind though. Pretty much you can "come as you are" with very few restrictions in the MDR.

Hi Michelle...Wow...I had never really read the "family board"....was directed here from one of your posts about cruising with kids....but sure am glad I found it! Anyways...got a question for you that i'm sure you can answer seeing all of your many cruises with your girls! We have 3 kids..ages 12, 14 and 16...and have only cruised RCCL.....have thought about cruising Carnival but just have not ventured there as of yet. Do you and your kids have a favorite cruise line or ship? Thanks for your advice! I'm sure my kids would be happy on any cruise....but was just wondering?? :)

I've been on CC for almost 2 years and just found the family board thanks to michele too. It's been great info for DW in regards to my newly found balcony addiction. LOL

I know I'm not Michele but I can answer this one for her! After spending alot of time blabbing with her I'd have to say her fav line is RCCL and her fav ship is Explorer of the seas. I also know if I'm wrong she'll be sure to smack me around and reply. (she might smack me around for answering for her anyways lol)

I've been on CC for almost 2 years and just found the family board thanks to michele too. It's been great info for DW in regards to my newly found balcony addiction. LOL

I know I'm not Michele but I can answer this one for her! After spending alot of time blabbing with her I'd have to say her fav line is RCCL and her fav ship is Explorer of the seas. I also know if I'm wrong she'll be sure to smack me around and reply. (she might smack me around for answering for her anyways lol)

Hey Brian...Thanks for the reply! So.....I see...you have cruised carnival?? Have you been on RCCL before? We have just been on Majesty a few times, Enchantment, and the Navigator twice. Really enjoyed all of them but have been thinking about trying carnival ....the price seems to be better ??? The one thing that I really like is the Royal Promenade on the Navigator....that was one reason why we went back on the Navigator again. I will have to agree with you about the balcony addiction! Tried it 3 cruises ago...and I am hooked too!

DPeeps... I've only sailed Carnival...so far. I've been looking seriously at adding a second cruise next year and there's a nice one to bermuda we might join.

The carnival trips haven't been terrible...definately room for improvement though. On the first cruise I overlooked almost everything. On the last one there were attitudes that I just couldn't overlook and it had me a tad pissy. But I'm gonna try them again next year. I'll just stay away from the triumph.

As far as the promenade you'd have to ask Michele how much it's missed as I don't know yet what I'll be missing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I told you the jean and sneaker wearing Brian would invade this thread! :p:p:p:p

{yes, he knows I'm just joking}

Dpeeps - Yes, my favorite is RCCL, but Brian is slightly off, my favorite RCCL ships for families are Freedom class. You've done Navigator and Majesty, if you get a chance (and the price is right) try a Freedom class with the kids.

Archived