Embarkation Nightmare on Freedom

2910car

Last year, we were the first to leave from Galveston (after Ike), on the Conquest. The ship had to be re-positioned from the Port of Houston back to Galveston: At the pier, they had computer problems, air-conditioning problems, every problem you can imagine.

We were at the pier around 10:30AM, and didn't board until after 4:00PM, sail-away was after nightfall. Yes, we were hot, sweaty and uncomfortable; but considering the shape that Galveston was in, we were elated to see the ship back where she belonged.

After the first DOD (or two...or more):D, we both forgot about the wait and were just excited to be on vacation......

[quote name='salty dingo']Seems like there should be enough indoor space to accomodate the largest line. Standing outside is torture in the noon heat. At least provide shade and water to drink![/quote]

I so agree. A wait may be inevitable at times due to circumstances that can't be controlled, but I could not physically cope with an hour or more standng in the Florida sun.. If this is something that happens to all occasionally as Mach says, then a place in the shade/cool should not beyond their planning capability.

We also got off the day you got on. We went to the beach and kept watching for the Freedom to leave. We wondered why it seemed to be leaving so much later than it did for us the week before. I believe it was about 6 before we finally saw it leaving.
I do agree that I did not like the outside wait even though we did not wait as long as you. I have never left from a port that you had to wait in line outside.
I am sorry your trip had to start off that way. We had a wonderful time on the cruise itself but I did mark the embarkment down on my survey.

[quote name='2910car']Okay. So from now on we will get to the pier before 11 AM regardless of what the docs say. I had never had to wait outside before and we always arrive around 12- so no reason I thought to get there earlier. I guess we have just been lucky before.

I am only saying that for people who do not read these boards, sooner or later someone will have a stroke. I really feel something needs to be done to get people inside quicker.

It sure didn't ruin my cruise. If you read my review we had a great time.

By the way, for the person who talked about the lines in Disney - that is your choice. You know how long the wait is when you get on line and can make the decision to go back later or skip it. No such choice getting on a ship.[/quote]

But, there are choices....arrive before the crowds arrive or wait until late in the boarding process......

Archived