New york which airport

a-w

1 -This same question came up over the weekend. There might be different replies there.

2 - As to cheaper? I would go in and begin pricing out what it runs with YOUR dates and YOUR city. There are lots of variables.

3 - Most (not all) folks here would suggest flying in a day early so that you can see New York a little. And of course, reduce the risk of missing your cruise.

See some notes in the link below.

where from and when are you flying?

Continental Airlines is the major airline in Newark, so if you're flying from a Continental hub, Newark will probably be the most economical. But if you do a search on kayak, you will see which airport has the best flights based on your departure point and travel days.

NY airports can get very backed up due to bad weather. Make sure you leave yourself lots of time; don't plan to arrive at the airport at 2PM for a 5PM cruise - you will regret it. Even if you make it in time, you will be subjecting yourself to a ton of unnecessary stress.

I would definitely consider coming in the day before if you can swing it.

There have been at least 5 posters in the past 4-5 days that want help with flights, but none want to say where they are flying from. Folks here would love to help, but sorta difficult to guess at the answers.

im leaving from detroit metro but i would rather fly the same day if i can find a flight at 7 or 8 am and i dont think the weather is going to b bad in oct that is when im going oct 4 that is a sunday so ur thinking newerk is good then

It might be a little more expensive flying into Newark, but it is worth it. It's closer to the NY cruise terminal. In my opinion, NY airports are not worth the hassle dealing with traffic, delays, etc.

We just got off the Dawn yesterday and flew into EWR because it was nonstop and cheaper. We took Super Shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then after the cruise we took it back to the airport from the pier. Had great luck. We always go at least a day early and enjoyed seeing NY this time.

We just got off the Dawn yesterday and flew into EWR because it was nonstop and cheaper. We took Super Shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then after the cruise we took it back to the airport from the pier. Had great luck. We always go at least a day early and enjoyed seeing NY this time.

Yea I almost always fly out of EWR I just do not have the patience to deal with Kennedy or LGA.

Are you looking for cheaper transportation from the Airports to the cruise terminal, or are you just planning on taking a taxi?? As I said, Newark is the closest and probably would be the cheapest and quickest, by whatever mode of transportation you chose. From LaGuardia or Kennedy, I believe your only choices would be a taxi, and they ain't cheap.

Are you looking for cheaper transportation from the Airports to the cruise terminal, or are you just planning on taking a taxi?? As I said, Newark is the closest and probably would be the cheapest and quickest, by whatever mode of transportation you chose. From LaGuardia or Kennedy, I believe your only choices would be a taxi, and they ain't cheap.

Not so from Kennedy -- can take the train to the plane that takes you to Jamaica and then you can take the LIRR into the city or if you want to walk to the subway which is the cheapest way to go you can do that too. Although I do not recomend that route with luggage and being unfamiliar with the area.

a cab from LGA should be about $35 and half an hour(if the driver knows what he is doing)

from EWR(Newark) its about $75 and should be about the same half hour except in rush hour when its about an hour by cab.

from JFK its $45 plus $5.00 toll and tip about $60 and should be 3/4 of an hour.

Yes EWR is easiest if you live in NJ or are taking the a ship from Port Liberty. I live close to the Brooklyn Red hook pier and I am 20 minutes from LGA, 30 to EWR and 40 to JFK. JFK and EWR have the least expensive parking with LGA the most expensive. When its bad weather all three airports suck. LGA which has two intersecting runways is by far the worst but it is still the most convenient-easy to get around once you are there. Coast to Coast and overseas you will use either JFK or EWR. JFK has the longest runways on the east coast(14,000 feet) and is the airport of choice for emergency landings. I find that domestically JFK backs up the least because more of its flights are international. Its actually pretty quiet most of the day until they start international flights in the evening...(its why Jet Blue started there it had a lot of open slots)...

Its 10.41 miles from LGA to the Cruise terminal. Its 16.05 miles from EWR to the cruise terminal and its 19.43 miles from JFK. But this morning there is a 40 minutes wait at the Lincoln tunnel into Manhattan(not unusual at this time in the am on a weekday).(exact mileage is from map quest to the cruise terminal in Manhattan.. the cruise terminal's address is 711 12th avenue.)

i would like to add that if your cruise sails on a Sat or Sun...the whole traffic issue is not as bad, if you shoot for a 11am/noon arrival at the NYC pier.

and as for flying...all the airports are not bad. but as has been mentioned. if the weather is bad...then that's 3 airports that will be affected.

flying in the day before is just a good practice, if the funds are there.

ps I went back to look at the directions to make sure they were ok. They are except that for LGA the original directions were through the Midtown tunnel(not the way I would go)

so I took off the tunnel and went by the Bridge and that reduces the mileage to only 8.18 and no toll....LGA to the cruise terminal...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1qn=LaGuardia+Airport+(LGA)&1c=Flushing&1s=NY&1a=Laguardia+Airport&1z=11372&1y=US&1l=40.77243&1g=-73.87627&1v=ADDRESS&2qn=Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal&2c=New+York&2s=NY&2a=711+12th+Ave&2z=10019&2y=US&2l=40.767749&2g=-73.995955&2v=ADDRESS#a/maps/l:LaGuardia+Airport+(LGA):Laguardia+Airport:Flushing:NY:11372:US:40.77243:-73.87627:address::1/l:Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal:711+12th+Ave:New+York:NY:10019:US:40.767749:-73.995955:address::1/m::10:40.76175:-73.935542:0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

after clicking the above go to edit and remove number 10(going through the tunnel) and it will recalculate the mileage and time.

Its funny through the tunnel shows 20 minutes and over the bridge 22.

ps I went back to look at the directions to make sure they were ok. They are except that for LGA the original directions were through the Midtown tunnel(not the way I would go)

so I took off the tunnel and went by the Bridge and that reduces the mileage to only 8.18 and no toll....LGA to the cruise terminal...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1qn=LaGuardia+Airport+(LGA)&1c=Flushing&1s=NY&1a=Laguardia+Airport&1z=11372&1y=US&1l=40.77243&1g=-73.87627&1v=ADDRESS&2qn=Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal&2c=New+York&2s=NY&2a=711+12th+Ave&2z=10019&2y=US&2l=40.767749&2g=-73.995955&2v=ADDRESS#a/maps/l:LaGuardia+Airport+(LGA):Laguardia+Airport:Flushing:NY:11372:US:40.77243:-73.87627:address::1/l:Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal:711+12th+Ave:New+York:NY:10019:US:40.767749:-73.995955:address::1/m::10:40.76175:-73.935542:0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

oh good thing, smeyer! i HATE that midtown tunnel. for those wondering. if you were to take this midtown tunnel...your next challenge would be TRYING to get across town along 34th St, then trying to get uptown to the 50s where the ships are.

a cab from LGA should be about $35 and half an hour(if the driver knows what he is doing)

from EWR(Newark) its about $75 and should be about the same half hour except in rush hour when its about an hour by cab.

from JFK its $45 plus $5.00 toll and tip about $60 and should be 3/4 of an hour.

You can also take the monorail to the NJ Transit stop for Newark Liberty International Airport and head into NY Penn Station from there. No sure on the pricing though.

You can also take the monorail to the NJ Transit stop for Newark Liberty International Airport and head into NY Penn Station from there. No sure on the pricing though.

exactly what I want to do with luggage. If you really have to save money(and it doesn't save that much) the easiest way is to take the airport bus to the Port Authority bus terminal and then a cab to the pier. Its about $15 per person on the bus and the cab is less than $15.00...its the fastest easiest way even during the rush hour(the buses have a priority lane through the tunnel)...

Its $5 per person for the Monorail and then about $10.00 per person on the train and the same less than $15.00 to the cruise terminal by cab. The trains are crowded during the rush hour and not that easy to get around with luggage.

exactly what I want to do with luggage. If you really have to save money(and it doesn't save that much) the easiest way is to take the airport bus to the Port Authority bus terminal and then a cab to the pier. Its about $15 per person on the bus and the cab is less than $15.00...its the fastest easiest way even during the rush hour(the buses have a priority lane through the tunnel)...

Its $5 per person for the Monorail and then about $10.00 per person on the train and the same less than $15.00 to the cruise terminal by cab. The trains are crowded during the rush hour and not that easy to get around with luggage.

yeah...lugging your luggage just plain ole stinks! i vote for flying into EWR. it may be more expensive in the short term...but i am of the belief that if you put more distance between you and your destination (especially in our area)...anything can happen.

smeyer...btw...love the Colossus of Memnon. i was there in 1997 on a land tour!

Sept. 25, 2008 my sister and I flew into Newark the day before our Sept. 26 sailing. We are glad we came early, because a hurricane out in the Atlantic was causing a lot of delays on the east coast. We stayed at the Hilton Penn Station Newark Hotel. The train and light rail station is right across the street. We took the light rail for $1.75 to the World Trade Center and took a taxi from there to the pier. The room was $120.00 for one night.

I recommend arriving in the port city the day before sailing. Storms and mechanical problems happen all of the time. Did you know it is necessary to be at the port 90 min. before sailing?

Whatever you decide, I hope things work out well for you. NYC is a great harbor to sail away from, because of the Statue of Liberty. Enjoy your cruise.

yeah...lugging your luggage just plain ole stinks! i vote for flying into EWR. it may be more expensive in the short term...but i am of the belief that if you put more distance between you and your destination (especially in our area)...anything can happen.

smeyer...btw...love the Colossus of Memnon. i was there in 1997 on a land tour!

LOL I know there are Jersey rules out there but its under 9 miles from LGA and 16 from EWR....

and yes I agree that at times its not distance that matters. There are many times that the shortest isn't the fastest....

LOL I know there are Jersey rules out there but its under 9 miles from LGA and 16 from EWR....

and yes I agree that at times its not distance that matters. There are many times that the shortest isn't the fastest....

yeah yeah yeah. :D i'm not that Jersey-centric. but...i can honestly tell you there are times i would rather (from where i am) up to the GWB and then come down to the upper west side of manhattan. other times...i would rather take the lincoln tunnel then drive down to chinatown simply because i think the holland tunnel just plain ole stinks...literally and figuratively.

and i think it was you that said lots of Intl flights out of JFK. how true that is. in fact, this past sunday my DW drove to pick up her uncle and his family flying in from the philippines. 10pm arrival. we opted LT to MidTunnel to JFK. the pain of crosstown along 34th proved better. on the way home we took GWB back home...and BOY THAT TRAFFIC INBOUND was bad! :eek:

Archived