How I lost 25 lbs...it was easy

Littlegoo75

HI. This is my first time in this forum, and I just wanted to share my success story, and I think I did it pretty easily.

I've always been an average size, between a size 8-10, at 5'7. My weight was always a lot higher than I looked because I've always had a lot of muscle mass. I was a size 6 at 145 lbs ( the smallest I've been out of high school).

I changed jobs from a very active position to an office position, and my body did not like being sedentary, and it told me so by gaining about 20 lbs in about 8 months. I didn't really adjust my calorie intake, and before I knew it, I had to start buying some size 12 pants. One day I just decided I had to change things, I wanted that size 6 figure back, even smaller if I was able to do it.

I really didn't want to join a program because that just isn't me. So, I set out to do it alone.

I bought a little notebook and decided to write down EVERYTHING I put in my mouth, and every bit of exercise I did, and I started by keeping my intake to about 1,400 calories, and exercised a minimum of an hour, 5-7 times a week. I wouldn't eat anything that I didn't want to write down in my journal.

In the first week, I lost about 4 lbs, then about 2 lbs a week, and now I'm doing about 1-2 lbs a week depending on how hard I push myself at the gym.

A little less than 4 months later, I am down 25 lbs, and almost back into a size 6.

On Saturdays, I allow myself to eat what I want, as long as it doesn't exceed 2,000 cals, and I have to burn a minimum of 800 calories at the gym.

I eat smaller meals, and more throughout the day, don't eat a lot of calories after 5pm, and I allow myself treats in small quantities. You have to do that, otherwise you might end up going overboard.

With the holidays here, if I end up eating a little more than I planned, I just work out longer on the gym to burn those extra calories.

When I go on vacation or cruise, I don't really worry about the calories, I just make sure that I exercise. On my last cruise I ate like a pig, but I went to the gym everyday, and did very active shore excursions, and I didn't gain any weight.

My next cruise is in February, and I plan on being in that size 6 dress and running around in a bikini. I have about 7 weeks, so I am looking at losing another 7-10 lbs.

For those here that are making the sacrifice to better themselves, that is great, and keep it up, there is no better reward out there.

Happy Holidays everyone. Eat what you want, then work your butt off in the gym. That's my motto for the holidays!!!!! It's been working for me.

Happy holidays to you too! Good post! It's all about moderation and understanding what you are putting in your mouth vs what you are burning. I read a really interesting article in National Geographic yesterday about why we are so fat. Bottom line is we live in a wealthy society with an abundance of food available, we are bombarded by highly processed unhealthy options that are cheap and easy to get, our wealth has allowed very sedentary lifestyles. Since 1970 women,on average, have increased daily calorie consumption by 338 per day, men 168. That is significant. Even 100 calories per day over what you burn will cause a 10 lb weight gain in one year. Think about that. 100 calories isn't that much. That's just a small glass of juice. That's why vigilance is so important.

Welcome to the boards! What cruise are you going on?

Hi. The husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Valor ( brand new) on Feb. 6th (Western Carib.) Then we will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty in Europe in October.

I learned the hard way what being sedentary will do to you. I was even going to the gym, after transferring to an office job, but being on my behind for 8 hours, and not lowering my caloric intake caused me to pack on some pounds, what a wake-up call that was.

Some of my favorite low-cal snacks I have discovered since I started being really careful, are those Nabisco 100 calorie pack light crisps, Pria Bars ( by power bar I think) frozen juice bars, healthy choice pizzas, weight watchers ice cream bars. There are a plethora of choices out there to help you curb your cravings. If you haven't yet tried the Oreo or Chips Ahoy light crisps, you must try them. They are so good for 100 calories!

By just lowering my caloric intake to 1,500 cals, and going to the gym 5-6 times a week I have lost all of the weight I gained and some, and I am still going strong. It's really easy if you put your mind to it. Mind over matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I'm jealous! I wish I only had 25lbs. to lose. I need to lose a lot more than that. My job is also sitting at a desk all day with very little time spent up and away from my desk. When it was warmer and there was still daylight after 5pm I was walking after work which really helped. I could tell a difference in how my clothes fit and how I felt. But now -- ugh -- I think I've gained back anything I lost. Other than work my life is pretty busy with two kids under ten. I feel like I'm always active, but I know it's not the right kind of active. We cruise in less than 100 days and I hope to lose some weight before then -- and keep it off!

Thanks for telling us how you lost your weight. I plan to try your method!

Amanda

Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds like you and I have the same body type. I've always been about a size 8-10 and am 5'6 but have always weighed more than people thought because of muscle mass...and I too got an office job and ended up gaining weight...

Before my wedding a few years ago, I ended up going on a weight loss quest, exercising like crazy but because of stressing over the wedding and a new house purchase I ended up becoming sick and losing weight the unhealthy way. I ended up being the size I had hoped to be, but didn't do it the way I had originally planned.

Since then I've had a baby and now I'm up 35 lbs to where I aspire to be and really need the motivation to get back on track! Of course sitting on this computer isn't helping much, is it? ;-)

DH and I just bought a really nice home gym and are super psyched to start a work out plan at home!

I'm curious as to what types of food you ate while exercising. Were you really strict on protein/carbs/fat or was it mainly calories that you concentrated on? Also, do you do cardio and weights? How did you know when you'd reached the 800 calorie mark?

Archived