Question for Putterdude or Urban Trekker regarding HOHO

Hello PD and UT,

We are arriving in YVR on July 6th around 11 am. We are staying at the Pan Pacific.

We had planned to go to Stanley Park by cab and do their $2.00 trolley as well as the horse drawn carriage that afternoon followed by eating at the Fish House, then do the HOHO the next day without getting off at Stanley Park and then the Capilano suspension bridge the following morning before boarding our ship.

We figured doing Stanley Park our day of arrival would free up our day on the HOHO the next day for other stops. Our reasoning was that we heard in July the HOHO gets very, very busy so we wouldn't have enough time to do everything we wanted in Stanley Park, Granville Island, Chinatown and Gastown. Am I correct in thinking this? Do you think we're making a wise move to do Stanley Park on its own the first day or should we just take it easy and do it all the next day, still leaving Capilano for the last morning?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We don't want to have to hurry through everything.

Thanks for your help.

Here's a suggestion that should save you some money - why take a cab to pick up the $2.00 shuttle when your HOHO ticket is good for 2 days - buy a HOHO two day ticket right outside the Pan Pacific - hop on the first bus doing the park loop and take the HOHO to Prospect Point where you can transfer to the shuttle. Spend as much time as you want in the Park - next day - head for Capilano Suspension Bridge - are you aware that they have a free shuttle at limited times from downtown to the Bridge - take the shuttle back to downtown and continue to explore our great city - as for the morning of the cruise - relax and take in the views as you watch the ships dock at Canada Place - stroll along the new promenade adjacent to the Convention center.

Hope this makes sense

PS - I wouldn't leave the Capilano Bridge to the day of the cruise - not enough time to really enjoy it - places like Gastown, Yaletown and China Town are better for the mornign of the cruise.

PD will be along later to give his opinions if he is not on the golf course - it's raining in Vancouver but since he lives on the Sunshine Coast it should be sunny and warm there today. Just kidding PD - this is our first good soak in almost a month and the lawns and forests can use it.

Cheers

Dennis

Here's a suggestion that should save you some money - why take a cab to pick up the $2.00 shuttle when your HOHO ticket is good for 2 days - buy a HOHO two day ticket right outside the Pan Pacific - hop on the first bus doing the park loop and take the HOHO to Prospect Point where you can transfer to the shuttle. Spend as much time as you want in the Park - next day - head for Capilano Suspension Bridge - are you aware that they have a free shuttle at limited times from downtown to the Bridge - take the shuttle back to downtown and continue to explore our great city - as for the morning of the cruise - relax and take in the views as you watch the ships dock at Canada Place - stroll along the new promenade adjacent to the Convention center.

Hope this makes sense

PS - I wouldn't leave the Capilano Bridge to the day of the cruise - not enough time to really enjoy it - places like Gastown, Yaletown and China Town are better for the mornign of the cruise.

PD will be along later to give his opinions if he is not on the golf course - it's raining in Vancouver but since he lives on the Sunshine Coast it should be sunny and warm there today. Just kidding PD - this is our first good soak in almost a month and the lawns and forests can use it.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Well, I sure wasn't using my brain on that question, was I? I should have thought to do the HOHO to get to the park. Thank you so much for putting that out there. Your response makes perfect sense.

Do you know which stop you would get off at in the park to do the Horse Drawn Carriage Ride?

I think you're right...we'll probably do Capilano our next morning and do the HOHO afterwards, then do Gastown the morning of the cruise. We can just walk over there from the hotel.

You locals are great with the answers. Thank you so much!!!

Putterdude and Urban Trekker,

Do you think there is actually a whole lot to see in Gastown and Chinatown? I've been to Chinatown in Toronto and didn't really know what there was to see in Gastown. I do know it's where Vancouver got it's start but are there actual sights?

Your thoughts?

Since you are from Toronto you probably won't want to bother to spend much time in our Chinatown except for the Dr Sun Yat Sen Gardens - they are beautiful and take a moment to see the Archway entrance on Pender St.

As for Gastown - it has two popular sights - the Gastown Steam Clock - one of only a few functioning in the world - link here: http://www.hickerphoto.com/steam-clock-gastown-vancouver-9536-pictures.htm

and the statute of Gassy Jack Deighton the founder of Vancouver(?)

The remainder of the area is the old buildings and shops and restaurants - it is worth a visit - give yourself an hour or two - as it is close to Canada Place it could be visited the morning of your cruise after you have dropped your bags off.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Just an FYI if there is more than 2 ships in Port the HOHO will be packed around Canada Place, so start out as early as possible. Also take into account the traffic around Canada Place. When we did it, the area of Gastown was fine but as we got closer Canada Place and the Park it got packed. So give yourself plenty of time.

Just an FYI if there is more than 2 ships in Port the HOHO will be packed around Canada Place, so start out as early as possible. Also take into account the traffic around Canada Place. When we did it, the area of Gastown was fine but as we got closer Canada Place and the Park it got packed. So give yourself plenty of time.

Thank you for that info. We will definitely be starting out early!

Archived