Gifts by Celebrity = Tiny Confusion...help?

WapCaplet

I am sailing on the Summit in July from Venice to Barcelona. This will be the first cruise ever for myself and my wife. We are, understandably, very excited and also have a million questions.

We just received our official Celebrity documents yesterday, via our TA, and one of the booklets included in the package is titled 'Gifts by Celebrity'. This contains a number of items available for purchase from Celebrity for use on the cruise or to take home. My confusion arose when I noticed that a number of these "gifts" were food items and things that we thought were already included as part of the cruise. For example, there are a number of food items that you could order to be brought to your stateroom, for a charge. My understanding was that room service was included in the price of the cruise. So why do I now have a booklet explaining the cost of these "room service" items? From reading the boards it sounds like I would have been able to ask my room steward or room service to bring a cheese/fruit plate instead of the canapes, but the "gift guide" I have indicates that a cheese/fruit plate actually costs $28 if delivered to your stateroom.

There are also "gifts" that include champagne in your room (again, I thought this was included in the cruise cost for the first day on board), flowers (I thought flowers were provided in most staterooms as part of the total cost. We are in Concierge Class), and other food items.

I originally understood that ALL food on-board was covered in the total cost of the cruise. This "gift guide" seems to indicate otherwise. So my question is: What food items are NOT covered by the cruise cost? What items am I going to be surprised to find on my final bill that I originally thought were included?

The first section of the gift guide is called "Delectable Delights" and lists a number of snack items and foods available for purchase. My first thought was "What?! Isn't all the food already paid for with the price of my cruise?"

A bit of guidance here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

I think you have something confused. Most all cruise lines features a gifts section, where you or friends or family members can purchase gifts to be placed in your cabinet, usually on embarkation day. These gifts can include, wine, canape trays, fruit baskets, even little "giftee" packages for kids. You usually purchase those through your TA or directly through the cruise line. We usually get ourselves a setup for in room drinks and you usually do it with a credit card.

This is completely different from room service or if you have a suite and the afternoon canapes and stuff which are part of the perks. Hope this anwers your query!

There is no need to order the "gifts." Since you have concierge class you will have a bottle of sparkling wine in your stateroom as well as some flowers. You can order more elaborate flower boquets from the gift section, but that is not necessary. As a concierge class stateroom, you will have an expanded room service menu (and everything on it that is not alcohol or soda will be free). Some have reported being able to swap the canapes for a cheese platter for no charge; I think they might even have a cheese platter on the room service menu. You also will have fruit in your stateroom as part of concierge class.

The only food you may pay for is if you dine in the specialty restaurant. There is a cover charge (about $30 per person) and then all the food off the menu is included in this price. Celebrity has outstanding specialty restaurants, so it is probably worthwhile to have a dinner in the specialty restaurant.

Unless you see something on the gift list that you think would make your cruise extra special, just ignore it. Most people do not order gifts. IMHO they are overpriced and unnecessary and just a way the cruise line tries to make some extra money. There is plenty of good food for no extra charge available.

Doughnut Dolly,

Yeah, I was trying to determine the distinction between the perks that come with the suite and the additional "gifts" that come with a charge. Thanks for your explanation.

Gonzo70,

Excellent! Thanks a ton for this very helpful explanation. I think I understand it all now. Much appreciated!

Tom

I am sailing on the Summit in July from Venice to Barcelona. This will be the first cruise ever for myself and my wife. We are, understandably, very excited and also have a million questions.

We just received our official Celebrity documents yesterday, via our TA, and one of the booklets included in the package is titled 'Gifts by Celebrity'. This contains a number of items available for purchase from Celebrity for use on the cruise or to take home. My confusion arose when I noticed that a number of these "gifts" were food items and things that we thought were already included as part of the cruise. For example, there are a number of food items that you could order to be brought to your stateroom, for a charge. My understanding was that room service was included in the price of the cruise. So why do I now have a booklet explaining the cost of these "room service" items? From reading the boards it sounds like I would have been able to ask my room steward or room service to bring a cheese/fruit plate instead of the canapes, but the "gift guide" I have indicates that a cheese/fruit plate actually costs $28 if delivered to your stateroom.

There are also "gifts" that include champagne in your room (again, I thought this was included in the cruise cost for the first day on board), flowers (I thought flowers were provided in most staterooms as part of the total cost. We are in Concierge Class), and other food items.

I originally understood that ALL food on-board was covered in the total cost of the cruise. This "gift guide" seems to indicate otherwise. So my question is: What food items are NOT covered by the cruise cost? What items am I going to be surprised to find on my final bill that I originally thought were included?

The first section of the gift guide is called "Delectable Delights" and lists a number of snack items and foods available for purchase. My first thought was "What?! Isn't all the food already paid for with the price of my cruise?"

A bit of guidance here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

They are included for Concierge class.

IF you would like to make your dear one a present, you will have the possibility.

I pre-purchased a few "On board Credits". Just to pre purchase lots of Alcohol ie; WINE:p

What's the difference between buying the on board credits ahead of time and simply ordering the wine once you're on board? Is the alcohol waiting for you in your cabin if you use credits ahead of time?

I like the way you think. ;)

Tom

I think they mean they prepaid some money toward their onboard account so as to not have a big bill at the end. You CAN pre-order a bottle of liquor and some mixers (and nuts I believe) which will most likely be in your stateroom on boarding--but you can just order wine on board (plus you can bring two bottles with you at embarkation). When we wanted some wine for our cabin, we just got it at the closest bar, they opened it, and we kept it in the room (but not for long!). It's nice to enjoy a glass of wine on your veranda while dressing for dinner, etc.

You will get the much reviled daily canapes--they are not THAT bad and are about 3 bites worth. You can also go up to the buffet area and get sushi almost every evening and either enjoy it there or bring back to your cabin if you prefer. I understand your confusion about the gifts--for instance, my son was taking a cruise with his girlfriend and we thought he might propose--I ordered chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne to be delivered to their room just in case. It didn't happen that trip but they are now married--but really enjoyed the goodies anyway!

Have a great trip ;)

Cathy

What's the difference between buying the on board credits ahead of time and simply ordering the wine once you're on board? Is the alcohol waiting for you in your cabin if you use credits ahead of time?

I like the way you think. ;)

Tom

Well its just I'd rather prepay now instead of a large bill that I know I will have. I enjoy good wine. Going to bring a few bottels....and yes MORE THAN 2.....:D:eek::D

Archived