help or criticize "newbies"

ssca

Just so I can add another to my post count, and trade them in for S&H green stamps, remember there's ALSO an ignore feature.

There are a handful of useless posters on these boards lately that you can just make DISAPPEAR! Take advantage!

And the ones who can't see this message have already engaged theirs! :D

LOL Mr. Pete, that is funny! I don't think you have ever made my ignore list, but I may have virtually smacked you a time or 2 ;) But somewhere along the line I learned to appreciate your sense of humor.

Yeah. It's number 28. I can't "capture" it cause I don't have permissions.

All 3 of us are in the pic!

I may have to email it to you from home from the HD.. let me try this..

is this it?

ry%3D400

Well I joined here not that long ago, so I may still have some newbie slime on me, but all in all my experience has been positive.

I am no stranger to message boards and I am a researcher at heart. I want to read as much info on a topic as possible and the more varied the opinion the better. The enjoyment of a cruise is truly up to each person, if they let the little things bother them, then they will have a bad time. Granted there are exceptions where the little things pile up or one huge issue plops down on you and smothers you to death (figuratively speaking of course).

I always like to read the good and the bad, then experience it for myself, have some time for reflection and then form an opinion.

More to the OP subject, I have seen some negative feedback but it seems (IMO) to be limited to more active threads. I understand that the activity of a thread does attract more and more people thus increasing its visibility and the chances of a "troll" type comment increase with that. All the math speak aside, I have had a warm/welcoming experience and what few questions I have asked have been met with positive responses and helpful answers.

Just my two cents....

WD

trock - I will search for your review - but a link would be appreciated.

LOL Mr. Pete, that is funny! I don't think you have ever made my ignore list, but I may have virtually smacked you a time or 2 ;) .

LOL. I can see that happening. Sometimes the intent is lost, or just misunderstood (but there are occasions I could use a smack). :D

Well I joined here not that long ago, so I may still have some newbie slime on me, but all in all my experience has been positive.

I am no stranger to message boards and I am a researcher at heart. I want to read as much info on a topic as possible and the more varied the opinion the better. The enjoyment of a cruise is truly up to each person, if they let the little things bother them, then they will have a bad time. Granted there are exceptions where the little things pile up or one huge issue plops down on you and smothers you to death (figuratively speaking of course).

I always like to read the good and the bad, then experience it for myself, have some time for reflection and then form an opinion.

More to the OP subject, I have seen some negative feedback but it seems (IMO) to be limited to more active threads. I understand that the activity of a thread does attract more and more people thus increasing its visibility and the chances of a "troll" type comment increase with that. All the math speak aside, I have had a warm/welcoming experience and what few questions I have asked have been met with positive responses and helpful answers.

Just my two cents....

WD

trock - I will search for your review - but a link would be appreciated.

Its so old.. i dont even have one... Sorry..

What a ridiculous layout this Lido deck has.. so depressing..and segregational.. like being corraled..

Didn't help with that lousy weather.......till we got to Saint John.

But no, not my favorite type of ship. But it was just what the doctor order to get ready for my Bermuda cruise the following month!

Didn't help with that lousy weather.......till we got to Saint John.

But no, not my favorite type of ship. But it was just what the doctor order to get ready for my Bermuda cruise the following month!

Bermuda is the best! My favorite.. I heard that they are going to allow cruise ships to dock in Hamilton again...

Saint Johns was ok.. boring!!!!

Didn't it go p000000000f?

YES>> that's right it did!

I just skip over stupid, pointless or ridiculous threads. But I put nasty posters on my "ignore" list so I can enjoy the board without them. Everyone has the same option / right...they just don't have the right to dictate to others.

I tell them to take a flying leap then watch the mods delete it. LMAO

I have tried many times, and not in my normal BLUNT style, to suggest that newbies go to the cruiselines website and at least read all the FAQ's there. Also to pick up a FREE brochure from ANY TA, and at least read the info in the back pages.

NOT so we can avoid answering newbies questions, but so the newbies educate themselves to the point that they can realize what questions are really important to them, as well as realize that they THEN know better questions to ask.

This I think would best help the newbie and that gained knowledge would improve their cruise.

And, of course, I have been chastised for refusing to answer the question.

So it goes...............

I have tried many times, and not in my normal BLUNT style, to suggest that newbies go to the cruiselines website and at least read all the FAQ's there. Also to pick up a FREE brochure from ANY TA, and at least read the info in the back pages.

NOT so we can avoid answering newbies questions, but so the newbies educate themselves to the point that they can realize what questions are really important to them, as well as realize that they THEN know better questions to ask.

This I think would best help the newbie and that gained knowledge would improve their cruise.

And, of course, I have been chastised for refusing to answer the question.

So it goes...............

I go through this similar exercise at least once a week. I am the comp geek for the company so I am asked alot of personal questions about this and that. Most questions can be resolved by a simple google search or refer to the manual. I would like to hang a sign above my head saying Did you RTFM?

Not saying its right, but it seems so many people are getting used to being given information instead of doing the work and getting it themselves.

I would say I always learn more, and retain more for that matter, when I research a subject myself and discover the answer for myself.

Trock - I browsed through the CC archives and came across a few Victory reviews (most positive a few negative) but none with your username. I gave up after about 7 months of archives. If you are interested in it being dug up, please give me some more info (title of post, where it was posted, when the cruise was, etc...)

While I agree with most everyone about snarky responses to questions, I have to say that I think that people who write angry, inflammatory posts and then get upset when others disagree with them... well, I think they don't have a leg to stand on. If you are going to voice an opinion about something on a message board (as opposed to asking for information), you should be prepared to have others offer different perspectives.

The bottom line is that new posters who ask questions are not criticized, but one who come in complaining or saying how bad things are and how much they are entitled to, etc. ad nausem are the ones that get blasted, and maybe with good reason.

I will agree the new posters who ask questions are not criticized (mostly). However change "ask questions" to "post comments" and the opposite comes to the fore rather quickly if the "comment" is anti - (you pick the cruise line).

There are people on every cruise line board here on C/C who absolutely refuse to believe their chosen line ever does anything untoward . . . anything.

I go through this similar exercise at least once a week. I am the comp geek for the company so I am asked alot of personal questions about this and that. Most questions can be resolved by a simple google search or refer to the manual. I would like to hang a sign above my head saying Did you RTFM?

Not saying its right, but it seems so many people are getting used to being given information instead of doing the work and getting it themselves.

I would say I always learn more, and retain more for that matter, when I research a subject myself and discover the answer for myself.

Trock - I browsed through the CC archives and came across a few Victory reviews (most positive a few negative) but none with your username. I gave up after about 7 months of archives. If you are interested in it being dug up, please give me some more info (title of post, where it was posted, when the cruise was, etc...)[/quote]

It went POOF.. Mr Pete reminded me.. there were so many *vicious* attacks and cheerleaders that the mods pulled it:o

I started a thread about how crowded a ship will be.. Why? Because while they may sail "full" there are certain times of the year that they are slightly less crowded... (not sure if there are more "singles" on or what). I have read that before. heard it from travel agents/PVPs and so on. People ask questions like that to see who all has cruised during that time frame.

I'm not really a "newbie". I was a lurker long before I started posting and I will agree with the OP.. There are some truly bitter people on here that must not get alot of attention in the real world, so they feel like treating someone like they are stupid will make them feel superior or something.

I have gotten some great answers on this board, and I will admit some posts are funny, but I just can't stand it when people post some smart comment when people are asking ligitimate questions. I am on several boards (even a Mod), and I have seen alot of crazy things, but the bottom line is that we should all help each other. That's why the board is here. Not to make some people feel like someone is the all knowing cruise god and just because someone has hundreds, thousands of posts doesn't really mean they have "contributed" anymore than someone with 100 posts...

I believe some new(ish) posters ask stupid questions just to be able to post to the board.

Can my husband wear his bathing suit in the supper club?

Will my room stewart bring me a newspaper every morning if I don't remove their tips?

Can I bring a keg of beer in my carry-on or should I pack in grandma's make-up case?

My 7-yr old son wants to drive the boat will the captain give him a ship on a stick after?

If they run out of bananas will they give me onboard credit for another banana on a future cruise?

Ok, now I need a new monitor. Mine has coke running down it, I nearly choked on that one. Very funny.

I actually called someone out for being "rude" to a poster. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19495401&highlight=#post19495401

I like the fact CC gives me a lot of information, good or bad. Have not been on the boards long, but i truly enjoy the majority of the advise I have receved. I also have a tendency to look for certain people who post just to keep me laughing. Dan40 and Kurbafan are two I can think of right now. Firefly333 is a close third.

I actually called someone out for being "rude" to a poster. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19495401&highlight=#post19495401

I like the fact CC gives me a lot of information, good or bad. Have not been on the boards long, but i truly enjoy the majority of the advise I have receved. I also have a tendency to look for certain people who post just to keep me laughing. Dan40 and Kurbafan are two I can think of right now. Firefly333 is a close third.

THAT one in that thread .. I dont know why she posts.. she see's no reason for half the posts she reponds to yet she does..

Most of the posters are really nice.. ignore the ones who arent!:)

Lemurcat, if the board were to function as you have suggested, we would soon become obsolete as there are so few new questions.

I highly doubt that. People will always find something to discuss, not just ask. Case in point, this very thread.

I do thank you for that definition of troll, as I had been trying to think of the word to describe your posts. Now I see they are simply the work of a troll, albeit a special type of narcissistic performance artist.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, and to add me to your ignore list. You're not breaking my heart by any means. ;) But if you still don't know what a troll is.

Oops, forgot to hit the delete key......

Points for humor at the end.

Is that a shot??? That's a shot isn't????

A portside compliment??:p

Well, I don't agree with you on that. Researching an issue would be running the key words through Google or Yahoo, and then running them through the search feature on whatever forum Google or Yahoo dumped you into. There are a lot of people who simply don't agree with this, and that's fine. I actually think it's a Web 1.0 versus a Web 2.0 culture clash. Back in the day, when your forum options were severly limited to AOL, Prodigy, and Usenet woe to the n00b who didn't lurk, search, and read before posting. However, in the age of the New Internet and user-generated content, this sort of thing simply isn't done.

I also contribute a good bit of this to the lack of FAQ on most forums these days. Used to be (and this makes me sound older than my 31 years), every forum and messageboard had a page of Frequently Asked Questions and answers that was usually a treasure trove of information and required reading. I don't know if these have fallen out of vogue and thus they aren't used or they weren't used and thus have fallen out of vogue.

Blame it on ASK DOT COM. Many like immediate gratification....

Archived