cigar lovers?

sloney

Are there any cigar lovers that purchased cigars in Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua? If yes, could you please share the names of your favourites?

We usually smoke cubans with a large ring gauge.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I do not have an answer for you, but thought I would reply to get this post to the top again. We are going on a full transit in Feb 2010 and will be stopping in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua, and in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. My brother in law is very interested in purchasing cigars in one or all of these ports. Any idea, where to start?

My husband is also into cigars and although we dont have any personal experience with Central American cigars yet(we dont sail until Dec)

I have found a lot of information at cigar.com. He is using some of that inofrmation for his purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start off by saying there are NO authentic Cuban cigars in or around any tourist area in Central America. The only place to find an authentic Cuban cigar in Central America/Carribean basin would be at a La casa del Habano. I have seen countless number of fakes in shops up and down the cruise ports... If you are truly interested in buying Authentic Cubans stick with LCDH ; that being said though some fake cubans aren't half-bad however most are downright awful!

I would recommend spending a little time on a cigar forum (cigar family, cigar afficionado, cigar assylum, etc...) to get a "feel" for what an authentic cuban (or a fake one for that matter) looks, smells and tastes like.

I guess the bottom line is : bring your own cigars from home and enjoy the wonderful scenery and weather!:)

P.S. I've been collecting and smoking fine cigars for more than 20 years so I'd be glad to help you out with any specifics.

Let me start off by saying there are NO authentic Cuban cigars in or around any tourist area in Central America. The only place to find an authentic Cuban cigar in Central America/Carribean basin would be at a La casa del Habano. I have seen countless number of fakes in shops up and down the cruise ports... If you are truly interested in buying Authentic Cubans stick with LCDH ; that being said though some fake cubans aren't half-bad however most are downright awful!

I would recommend spending a little time on a cigar forum (cigar family, cigar afficionado, cigar assylum, etc...) to get a "feel" for what an authentic cuban (or a fake one for that matter) looks, smells and tastes like.

I guess the bottom line is : bring your own cigars from home and enjoy the wonderful scenery and weather!:)

Hi Poopbag

I don't want to buy Cubans in Central America I want to buy local cigars. I've tried some from Nicaragua at my local shop thats about it. I will try some of those cigar sites you mentioned...thanks

Sloney,

My apologies I assumed you were looking for Cubans. However I now see that you are from Canada which makes the Cuban question a moot point since you have access to authentic ones at home:D . If you like fuller bodied smokes then I would look for Nicaraguan cigars. I ofter liken a Nicaraguan cigar to a strong espresso with a touch of half and half.

Honduran cigars are much spicier almost like a hot cinnamon candy but not in a bad way.

Panamanian cigars are fairly bland and very similar to Mexican cigars. They are like comparing white bread to rye bread. They have a very light smoke and are very mild but little taste.

Costa Rica and Guatemala really don't produce commercial grade cigars for the most part.

Another option before you leave would be to go to www dot Holts dot com and purchase an inexpensive sampler with smokes in it from the various countries that you will be visiting. They can usually be purchased in a sampler for around a dollar a cigar. That way you would know what you like and dislike and search those types of smokes out when you vacationing.

My personal favorite is Padron from Nicaragua. The 1926 series is a bit pricey but smokes like silken chocolate ( my wife always rolls her eyes when I say that :rolleyes:) . You mentioned you like large ring guages: the 1926 #9 is the only smoke I've ever had that is better than the Cuban "greats". It's 54 ring gauge and is aged for 5 years before released. The regular line (1000,2000,3000, etc) are a great value and if you could get some at the source I think that would be great!

Have a great trip and a little homework now will net you some great local smokes for your humidor.

AJ

Archived