Warnemunde sendoff

wlbox

Does the towns people of Warnemunde still participate in the ship send off? I had read that in the past they would have a band and lots of horn blowing between the ship and locals.

This sounds like lots of fun.

Does the towns people of Warnemunde still participate in the ship send off? I had read that in the past they would have a band and lots of horn blowing between the ship and locals.

This sounds like lots of fun.

Mostly they participate.

But the port party incl. band and fire works (for one ship only) is only when there is a multiple call or a first call.

For the rest of the year:

July 13, 2009 for EURODAM, EMERALD PRINCESS and AZAMARA JOURNEY

August 3, 2009 for CELEBRITY CENTURY, ROTTERDAM and CRYSTAL SYMPHONY

August 25, 2009 for CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION and THOMSON SPIRIT

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed - Thank you for more great information! Are there welcomes or sendoffs at other ports?

I experienced only three places:

2008-EURODAM-2085-Einfahrt.jpg

In Hamburg due to maiden call of EURODAM

2008-EURODAM-2996-Feuerwerk.jpg

On all cruises out of ROTTERDAM (two maiden voyages: NORWEGIAN PEARL and EURODAM and one regular departure on NORWEGIAN JADE):

2008-HAL-Eurodam-072-Ausfahrt.jpg

But only the maiden voyages got also a paper-"fire"work...

Pearl07-vi.jpg

In New York it was a maiden call of QUEEN VICTORIA:

2008-QV-0113-03-Wassenfontaenen.jpg

And in the night there was the historical meeting of the QUEEN VICTORIA, QUEEN MARY 2 and QUEEN ELIZABETH 2.

In Warnemünde the inhabitants are invited to join a party which is hosted by the Port Authoritites of Rostock and the local radio station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Mostly they participate.

But the port party incl. band and fire works (for one ship only) is only when there is a multiple call or a first call.

For the rest of the year:

July 13, 2009 for EURODAM, EMERALD PRINCESS and AZAMARA JOURNEY

August 3, 2009 for CELEBRITY CENTURY, ROTTERDAM and CRYSTAL SYMPHONY

August 25, 2009 for CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION and THOMSON SPIRIT

Regards,

HeinBloed

Oh no - we are on the Journey that will be in Warnemunde on August 6 - we don't get a greeting or a sendoff? Bummer!

Oh no - we are on the Journey that will be in Warnemunde on August 6 - we don't get a greeting or a sendoff? Bummer!

No official party and no fire work.

If there is nice weather I am sure that the people from Warnemünde will come to the pier and wave you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

Minutes ago in Warnemünde, Germany:

2009RPP071-vi.jpg

2009RPP072-vi.jpg

2009RPP073-vi.jpg

2009RPP074-vi.jpg

Somehow it was angry...

I was on the wrong side of the river to say good-bye to my cruise-friends on EURODAM...

but due to earlier departure the ferry suspended the service...

Sorry...

EMERALD PRINCESS and MY EURODAM got the firework

AZAMARA JOURNEY got a waltz from the boats around...

2009RPP076-vi.jpg

Good Night from Germany

HeinBloed

Sorry for bad quality of pictures - but due to high number of persons around I was unable to find a place to use my tripod.

Minutes ago in Warnemünde, Germany:

2009RPP071-vi.jpg

2009RPP072-vi.jpg

2009RPP073-vi.jpg

2009RPP074-vi.jpg

Somehow it was angry...

I was on the wrong side of the river to say good-bye to my cruise-friends on EURODAM...

but due to earlier departure the ferry suspended the service...

Sorry...

EMERALD PRINCESS and MY EURODAM got the firework

AZAMARA JOURNEY got a waltz from the boats around...

2009RPP076-vi.jpg

Good Night from Germany

HeinBloed

Sorry for bad quality of pictures - but due to high number of persons around I was unable to find a place to use my tripod.

I see you took pics of the port party last night. I have a young one and can't go anymore. Amazingly I didn'T here the fireworks last night. Only the ship horns.

you will get the normal ship horns. I am sure plenty of people on the pier will watch you sail off. That is normal. As for the big party, that is reserved for 3 ships in port or special things with Aida cruise ships.

We enjoyed the sendoff from Warnemunde, although we were an hour late departing. Music from the port, people lining the channel, lots of interaction between shore and ship, ship's horn, ferries. It was the nicest sendoff we have ever experienced, even without the fireworks! :D

We enjoyed the sendoff from Warnemunde, although we were an hour late departing. Music from the port, people lining the channel, lots of interaction between shore and ship, ship's horn, ferries. It was the nicest sendoff we have ever experienced, even without the fireworks! :D

Oh.. I watched those sailaways... caught this as the Connie broke through the Moles...

P1470571.jpg

The local tourists seem to come down every night. There are a few local boats that do their own sail away with the cruise ships and they follow you out as you go. It is really nice.

The port parties are fabulous though!

I agree with this. When we departed from Warnemunde on the Norwegian Jewel in June , we had no fireworks either, but the sendoff from the people lining the channel, the music at the port and all the horns from our ship, the ferries and the boats at the marina were awesome. Our nicest sendoff ever. It was truly special.

Archived