Two new ships for P&O?

MattyBarlow

Interesting.

It has been reported that Carnival Corp have placed new orders with Fincantieri. There would appear to be 2 ships ordered for the Parent Company Carnival and 2 ships for P&O Cruises; details are as follows-----Yard No 6199; IMO 9555709; GRT (Approx) 126,700; Bermuda Flag; Year of Completion Not Specified------Yard No 6200; IMO 9555711; GRT (Approx) 126,700; Bermuda Flag; Year of Completion Not Specified-----Yard No 6201; IMO 9555723; GRT (Approx) 131,300; Panama Flag; Year of Completion Not Specified------Yard No 6202; IMO 9555735; GRT (Approx) 131,300; Panama Flag; Year of Completion Not Specified (source AIS-live.co.uk)

From maritimematters:

Carnival Corp. Newbuilds On The Horizon

June 3: It is understood that the chairman and CEO of Carnival Corp., Mr Micky Arison, and Mr Gerry Cahill, President and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, are travelling to Genoa with other executives of the group to meet up with the top managers of Fincantieri; there are serious rumours that the financial and technical discussion started in Miami last March during SeaTrade, is now complete and they'll meet up with the executive officers of Fincantieri to sign the contract for 3 or 4 new giant ships around 130,000 gt each for CCL, P&O and Princess Cruises. The official announcement is expected to occur at the simultaneous delivery of the COSTA LUMINOSA and COSTA PACIFICA on June 5.

I don't think there was any announcement on 5 June, so this rumour is in a bit of limbo.

These are huge ships - another step up from Ventura/Azura, in P&O terms. Going by the size, they look like developments, or variations, of the forthcoming Carnival Dream.

It would make more sense for Princess to get them, as that line has been existing on a diet of Grand Princess class ships (albeit varied & expanded) for about 10 years; it's time they had something bigger, Celebrity has got away from them with the Solstice class. But maybe also this is the resolution of the 'OV vs P&O' issue that's been exercising us all lately: perhaps one (or two) much bigger ships are coming to P&O, which they'll market as informal & family-friendly. Possibly Ventura has been a trial-run for this....

The info from ais-live.co.uk is normally very accurate. Certainly to quote yard and IMO numbers would suggest that these ships are now on order.

I think you could be right about the informal cruising. I would however expect to see one or even two older ships leave the fleet.

The info from ais-live.co.uk is normally very accurate. Certainly to quote yard and IMO numbers would suggest that these ships are now on order.

I think you could be right about the informal cruising. I would however expect to see one or even two older ships leave the fleet.

Bit odd on the flags though? Maybe it's more complex like places orders via UK. The last rumour I had from one of the crew on OV was they were campaigning for Golden/Grand as the twins for OV, both oldest in Princess fleet and so could be replaced but why wouldn't they be ordered there?

Bit odd on the flags though? Maybe it's more complex like places orders via UK. The last rumour I had from one of the crew on OV was they were campaigning for Golden/Grand as the twins for OV, both oldest in Princess fleet and so could be replaced but why wouldn't they be ordered there?

The whole rumour is very interesting. Can Carnaval justify this expansion at this time? Or is it good business as the delivery for these ships will be 2/3/4 years hence.

If true the Following will be the P&O ships with the Bermuda flag as the rest of the fleet are now, except I think Aurora.

IMO 9555709; GRT (Approx) 126,700; Bermuda Flag; Year of Completion Not Specified------Yard No 6200; IMO 9555711; GRT (Approx) 126,700; Bermuda Flag

What happens regarding P&O/OV will depend on the growth in passengers in P&O. Clearly before the recession double digit growth was planned for. How much this has gone down will determine future strategy.

I am sure it will keep the chattering classes going for weeks if not years.:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I have no idea, but i wonder if shipyards will be offering good deals on ship building at the moment? Carnival could be getting four ships built for the future at reduced costs?

And your right about the two Bermuda flagged ships probably being for P&O (if news is correct).

I suspect Carnival are just reserving "slots" at the shipyard, as they have done previously. If they take them up, they can swap them among their brands when they make a firm order, as they did with the slot that became Ventura.

Princess ships are also registered in Bermuda.

Albert.

Archived