Alaska Railroad - TSA security and baggage questions

lawahoo2001

We are taking the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Whittier the day of our cruise. Their website says that baggage limit is 50 lbs. Are they very strict on that? And, how much does it cost if your bag is over the limit? Also, how are they about bringing stuff on the train itself? The website says they only allow one carry-on, but what about so-called "personal" items, like purses, camera bags, food, etc.?

It also says on the website that you have to go through TSA security. Do they have a ban on liquids the way that the airlines do? Do I have to put liquids 3 oz. or less into a ziploc? How rigorous is the TSA security screening?

Just want to be well prepared for boarding when the time comes...

We are taking the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Whittier the day of our cruise. Their website says that baggage limit is 50 lbs. Are they very strict on that? And, how much does it cost if your bag is over the limit? Also, how are they about bringing stuff on the train itself? The website says they only allow one carry-on, but what about so-called "personal" items, like purses, camera bags, food, etc.?

It also says on the website that you have to go through TSA security. Do they have a ban on liquids the way that the airlines do? Do I have to put liquids 3 oz. or less into a ziploc? How rigorous is the TSA security screening?

Just want to be well prepared for boarding when the time comes...

Actually your bags won't be on the train with you. What will happen is before you head to the depot you should put your cabin tags on your suitcases. When you get to the depot there will be an area where they are taking luggage. They will ask for ID and your cruise documentation. At that time an Alaska Railroad employee will set your bags aside and the cruise companies come and take the bags down by truck. At no time is your luggage weighed. The reason it is done this way is there is no way the Railroad could transport all that luggage.

So then the cruise employees put come and put it on the truck, drive it down, and the next time you see it, it will be outside your cabin door or sometimes your cabin steward will put it inside your cabin.

Basically you have some space above you and limited below you so it does need to fit in those areas. The rack above you is narrower than an overhead on an airplane but our rolling small cases made it.

We did this last year and we did not have to clear any TSA security per say. After reading the Railroad's website I think there are certain things they have to do like give everyone on the train a boarding pass, that's why you have to get those on the day of departure and be there an hour before the train. So you aren't searched and you don't have to worry about the 3 oz liquid rule.

Susan in Anchorage :)

When I went to Whittier on June 4th we were on a one car doubledecker train. Maybe when cruise folks are going too they use more cars, but this train had no overhead bin. It did have storage near the doors because one couple who got on in Girdwood had their luggage and it was stored there (and they kept it there during our boat ride). We sat at tables.

See below:

255487033_TraintoPWS.jpg.1257532b8d1a4cd0bd2260eef5290c45.jpg

I'm taking my elderly mother on 7/17 southbound (ANC - Vancouver) and really would like to have my 'puter with me to check in with the real world. Not comfortable with letting luggage truck take it, so planning to take it on train. Enough room you think?

TRAIN - I see two trains offered ... cruise train from the airport($119/ .. and Coastal Classic ($75/) from downtown Anchorage.

pro's / con's??

Thanks so much.

The Joyous One from Tennessee

I'm taking my elderly mother on 7/17 southbound (ANC - Vancouver) and really would like to have my 'puter with me to check in with the real world. Not comfortable with letting luggage truck take it, so planning to take it on train. Enough room you think?

TRAIN - I see two trains offered ... cruise train from the airport($119/ .. and Coastal Classic ($75/) from downtown Anchorage.

pro's / con's??

Thanks so much.

No you're right in not checking your laptop. Hopefully it's not in a huge carrying case and then it should be no problem with it on the train.

Well guess it all depends on convenience and how mobile your Mom is. Are you going straight from a flight to the cruise or are you staying a night or two before hand? If you're coming straight here and going straight to the ship then if you had to take a cab from the airport to the depot it would be probably $22 to $25 with tip so it would be somewhat of a savings, but it would probably be more convenient just to take the one from the airport.

Only one set of train tracks out of Anchorage so you'd be seeing the same stuff.

pro's / con's??

Thanks so much.

Yes. There is some storage under the seating. We had a 18x12x8 bag, my daughter's backpack and other stuff on the train with us. No problem bringing a laptop. Train ride is really nice! Keep an eye out for the dall sheep. It also goes through 2 tunnels which is neat.

Yes. There is some storage under the seating. We had a 18x12x8 bag, my daughter's backpack and other stuff on the train with us. No problem bringing a laptop. Train ride is really nice! Keep an eye out for the dall sheep. It also goes through 2 tunnels which is neat.

Since they'll be on the Coastal Classic going to Seward they won't get the wonderful tunnel experience. That tunnel still boggles my mind on how they have safe houses and such in it now that it's multi-use. Sure a lot different from when you used to drive to Portage and put your car on the flatbed and they'd pull you through!

Archived