Cave tubing with children 7, 5 and 3?

sunnykb19

We are going in Feb 2010. The adults are interested in cave tubing. From what I've read children under 10 are less expensive but it doesn't really give any information as to how old they HAVE to be. Can a 3, 5 and 7 yr old go? There will be enough adults for them to ride on laps (if this possible) and they are all used to hiking so I don't forsee the walking portion to be a problem....I'm just wondering if you've seen or taken your children cave tubing and what your experiences are.

Or, if you have another recommendation for the family I'd love to hear that as well. TIA!!

OK,

just asked my 8 year old daughter who was 7 last year when we did this tour. She said she was a little scared, BECAUSE it had rained for three days prior and the water was the highest in 5 years. She said she got a little scared going through the caves becasue their were bats in there. She did have her own tube, so B prepared to carry that for the "walk". She said she loved the jungle walk ( about 40 minutes) cuz she saw alot of insects, and neat animals.

Hope it helps.

Tim

p.s We went in early April.

I guess it depends on your children and your own comfort level with allowing them to do this. I briefly considered taking my 4-year-old on the cave tubing excursion when we go to Belize in June, but then decided against it.

She learned to swim when she was 2, but my biggest concern was that the water is cold, the caves are dark, it's a long hike to the caves, and there's a chance you encounter bats, spiders, and snakes. Add to that, I don't think she will want to stay in her tube for more than 8-10 minutes.

I have been on this tour with my daughter and neice they were 8 at the time and were given their own guide.This was a fun tour but I believe the recomended age is 10.I would not take children that young you have to walk through the rain forest carrying your tube and even cross a fast running stream holding on to your tube and a rope!It was hard for 8 year olds I wouldnt take children that young.

We are just back from our cruise and we took children in our cave tubing two girls 3 and 6, and a boy 8 years old.

We went with Jaguar paw and the price for them was 25.

the 3 yo rode with her mom, but the 6 and 8 rode by themselves. They had life jackets for everyone and were very professional.

The 8 yo boy did not complain about carrying the tube, but my 6 yo girl did so I had to carry it.

They especially loved the monkey in their property and I was amazed they ate their meal and liked it (Belizean Cuisine)

Our hike was about 20 minutes and they did not complain about walking. They were very excited about the whole thing.

They loved it, if you talk to your kids and they know what to expect and what's expected of them ahead of time I think you'll have a wonderful time, enjoy your time in belize.

We just did this with Major Tom in June with our boys who are 3 and 5. Our 3 year old sat on my lap, so he didn't have to worry about carrying a tube. Our 5 year old wanted his own tube, so he got a smaller one, and Daddy carried it on the walk. The hike was really no big deal for either of them, but they do a lot of walking anyway. When we were getting in, the 3 year old sat in my lap, and the 5 year olds tube was hooked to mine on the side, so he didn't have to lock his feet with the tube in front of him or anything - I think he had the best seat in the house. Neither one of them were afraid of any part of the ride, and were very excited when we were able to find bats and they could see them. LOL

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much to Momto2cuteboys and aidee49! Summer kinda got a hold of me and I forgot all about our cruise! So I am just now reading these. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how helpful and encouraging your responses were! (I really appreciate everyone elses responses too, don't get me wrong, these are just a little closer to home with chlidren my kids' ages-but thank you for your opinions too everyone else!)

I've sent an email off to one of the cave tubing companies earlier tonight to see what they say but I am hopeful now! This is something my parents really want to do but don't seem to want to do alone....lol...I refuse to leave my baby girl on the boat on her 3rd BIRTHDAY!

I am tired and rambling...so thanks again!

We just did this with Major Tom in June with our boys who are 3 and 5. Our 3 year old sat on my lap, so he didn't have to worry about carrying a tube. Our 5 year old wanted his own tube, so he got a smaller one, and Daddy carried it on the walk. The hike was really no big deal for either of them, but they do a lot of walking anyway. When we were getting in, the 3 year old sat in my lap, and the 5 year olds tube was hooked to mine on the side, so he didn't have to lock his feet with the tube in front of him or anything - I think he had the best seat in the house. Neither one of them were afraid of any part of the ride, and were very excited when we were able to find bats and they could see them. LOL

This is good to know. We are booked with Major Tom next month and DS is 3. How did their lifejackets fit? When we made reservations they said they have a life jacket for DS, but I am still thinking about taking our own.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update anyone who was potentially looking into taking young kids cave tubing. I emailed Cave tubing dot com twice and got no response. I then tried Major Tom (cavetubing dot net) asking if it was safe for children under 5 and got an immediate response.

No sweat - all safe and sound at all times.

However, we do NOT know when the park will institute new rules and regulations, among them, a requirement for no one under the height of 48 inches to be allowed into the caves. I fear that may be within the time of your visit. I do hope it is not, as we have many familes and children booked from way back before the park authorities mentioned anything like that.

Let's just see how they play that one out.

We have taken from babes in arms, to senior citizens, safely and soundly through the system. Kids love it.

Major Tom

This is good to know. We are booked with Major Tom next month and DS is 3. How did their lifejackets fit? When we made reservations they said they have a life jacket for DS, but I am still thinking about taking our own.

We have booked with cave tubing dot com for November. (we being, me, dh and boys 8 and 4) We got an immediate response with much encouragement about how safe they are and not to worry about the boys. They mentioned also that if they feel the water is too high and not safe-they will plan an alternate excursion that doesn't involve cave tubing. I have also read on some of these posts that the guides will help carry the tubes. We are also doing the ATV with them and have been told that my boys can even ride with the guides if that is where they feel safest. (mostly where I feel they are safest). We will be in Belize for our 10th anniversary and this is one of the things we are most looking forward to.

Archived