Ship Doctor????

RN4life

RN4life,

there is a doctor onboard as well as a nurse. my sweetie developed an eye infection after visiting xcaret and had to go see him. The doctor did an exam, and prescribed medications for the infection. I believe the cost was $50.00 (total) It has been a couple of years ago, but i also believe it was billed to our sail and sign card. The infirmary looked like it would hold about 6-8 patients and both the doctor and nurse were ACLS and BTLS certified. In fact, the doctor called our room the next day to check on her!

Yes, there is a doc on board and services are $50 + any meds in the office. They will come to the room for $75. A guy travelng with us last cruise caught a virus and was stuck in bed for 3 of the days. He went to the doc and got a prescription filled. It was billed to their S&S. They had travel insurance and have since put in a claim for $250. The insurance was supposed to cover on board illness and land based followups. I have not heard if they have received their reimbursment or not, though.

I used the services of the infirmary when I sailed on the Pride. I thought I had forgot my medications. I was in a state of panic since the medications were from a prior history of an irregular heartbeat. My total bill came to $252. That was for multiple doctor visits and some medications. While it was an unexpected expense, it was worth every penny for my piece of mind. The funny thing was, though, just before the end of the trip, I found my medications hidden away in one place I hadn't searched. Oh, well! :rolleyes:

A friend of mine just returned from the Miracle in Nov.

She scratched her cornea somehow snorkeling and it was quite painful..so she went to the ship's dr, got meds, eye drops a patch to wear for one day- her cost was 114.00.

The good news - it was much better just after one day and she didnt need to waer the patch anymore...

RN - are you really an RN? Then you should know doctors don't come cheap!:eek: (I hope you're not planning to get sick once on board the ship!) Be optimistic - but take any necessary meds with you. If you need only something for seasickness, you can get pills at no charge from the purser's office.

One of my tablemates at dinner had an allergic reaction to something she ate (on an island) and had to go to the infirmary. She told me the visit and whatever meds he gave her amounted to just under $100.

By the way - Welcome to the boards. And please turn off your CAPS button - typing in all caps is like screaming. Of course, you do sound a bit panicky?:D

Here's hoping you have a wonderful cruise with no illness.

Yes, there is a doc on board and services are $50 + any meds in the office. They will come to the room for $75. A guy travelng with us last cruise caught a virus and was stuck in bed for 3 of the days. He went to the doc and got a prescription filled. It was billed to their S&S. They had travel insurance and have since put in a claim for $250. The insurance was supposed to cover on board illness and land based followups. I have not heard if they have received their reimbursment or not, though.

do you need a special type of travel insurance or will the policy that carnival sells cover such an event?

My wife had her toe rolled over by the gang plank on our way back on board. Doctor visit, X-rays, and pain pills at no cost to us. She missed about a day and half of the 7 day cruise (layed up in the cabin) but did make it to dinner and breakfast on the last night and half. Her toe nail is only now returning. Lesson learned.

Inspiration (Dec 25, 2004)

Paradise (June, 2002)

Song of America (August, 1998)

Song of America (August, 1997

I used to be a nurse on a cruise ship. depending on the size of ship you will have 1-2 Doctors and 2-3 nurses. The staff should all be ACLS certified of course with surgical and emergency medicine experience, the Doc should also have internal medicine experience.

The fees are high, especially if you have to call them to your cabin! So don't unless you are unable to walk! They take most insurance plans tho.

Just make sure you have what you need...only things free are bandaids, tylenol and meclizine! Everything else has a huge markup!

All the newer, larger ships are fully equipped to handle minor emergency surgery, or they can airlift/coastguard off the ship, they have ICU beds/equip to stabilise heart attacks etc. They can do lab work, take x-rays etc too. Theres even a morgue! If you need any other info, ask away!

I don't find any of the prices stated above unreasonable, a visit to the doctors office or the local walk-in non-urgent care center in our area would cost at least $50.00 just to walk in the door. It's nice to know a doctor and nurses are available if needed.

Theres a reason why you were not charged for anything...If there was an accident onboard, aside from reams of paperwork the medical staff must complete, theres the issue of liability, so any treatments, care etc would never be charged for in these situations. Poor thing, that must have hurt! Ouch!!

brief description of what working on a cruise line was like for both travelers and doctors

from

http://www.skylarkmedicalclinic.com/cruisesafety.html

Cruise MDs treat thousands, but how well?

from

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003-12-08-cruise-docs_x.htm

Shipboard medicine is no carnival

from

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2003/03/03/hlsc0303.htm

Thanks to all the great information! I have a very large party going on the cruise, two with heart conditions.

Yes, Cotton (RN - are you really an RN? Then you should know doctors don't come cheap!) I am really an RN, I just am a first time Carnival traveler and wanted to make sure so what better place to ask then right here!

Thanks again to all that posted I appreciate it very much!:) :) :)

I'm sure your two heart patients will feel better just knowing an RN is with them...and I hope they (and all of you) have a very nice and relaxing cruise. Just don't let them enter the 'hairy chest contest'....it can get pretty rambunctious.:rolleyes:

Great articles....

For what its worth, just an inside tip here...(and my own personal experience...)

Often the RN on board is more qualified and capable to treat patients, than the doc....sorry...but just my own experience in the past....

Gosh, could I tell some stories...

I actually met the ships doctor on one of the HAL ships recently......scarey.....seriously.

Just be careful and keep in good health everyone...don't overdo it eating and drinking, (yes, I know, easier said than done huh) and make sure you have those meds you need with you.

LOL....seriously folks, if I did tell you some of the "horror" stories of my experiences with incompetent docs, hair-raising and dangerous experiences, crazy passengers, etc etc.....phew.....

Well, I want to make this cruising a positive experience!!! and it would prob be unethical, where I may get into a lot of trouble...but if you ask questions, I will answer them honestly...Maybe I should write a book, it would make amazing reading, but would have to be anonymous I guess!!!! :rolleyes:

do you need a special type of travel insurance or will the policy that carnival sells cover such an event?

We had Travel GuardTM, like I said, I havent heard if they got reimbursed or not, yet. It does state in the policy that an illness/injury is covered for up to 1 year after the cruise if it was first treated during the coverage period.

LOL....seriously folks, if I did tell you some of the "horror" stories of my experiences with incompetent docs, hair-raising and dangerous experiences, crazy passengers, etc etc.....phew.....

Well, I want to make this cruising a positive experience!!! and it would prob be unethical, where I may get into a lot of trouble...but if you ask questions, I will answer them honestly...Maybe I should write a book, it would make amazing reading, but would have to be anonymous I guess!!!! :rolleyes:

Hi, Sheilb4, I'm an RN as well. I have been toying with the idea of trying the cruise nursing thing. I would love to pick your brain on the matter. I know what you mean by the docs. I work at a teaching hospital, and the nurses have to be on top of their game to catch all the junk orders the docs toss around. If we did everything exactly as they said and never questioned their orders, more patients would be sailing that big cruise ship in the sky (or was it Denver?)!!:eek:

I have been toying with the idea of trying the cruise nursing thing.

Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse

from

http://www.netwrx1.net/CherryAmes/book09.html

Nursing job on cruise ship/

from

http://www.job-resources.biz/nursing/directory/nursing-job-on-cruise-ship.html

Nurse: US$ 2,800 – 3,600 per month. Requires background in trauma care or accident and emergency treatment, preferably in an ER/ICU. Diploma from accredited nursing school with a minimum of two years recent hospital experience required. Certified nurse.

I would be more than happy to provide you with any info you need, ask away, or if you prefer, give me your e-mail address....

Generally the pay is poor, but then your accommodation, and food are provided.

No bills, except maybe laundry...no privacy, often have to share a cabin, and bunk beds! (depends on your status, ie, senior/charge nurse etc...then you get your own cabin usually...)

Many mandatory emergency drills to attend, 24hr call....working with some very incompetent docs, that you could potentially risk your license for,

But, to summarise, aside from some very horrendous experiences, I also made some wonderful friends, and enjoyed my time onboard immensely, got to travel and see some lovely places too.

Archived