Seattle Alaska cruise - car rental

harveyharris

We are on the Spirit cruise from Alaska next May. We want to take rental car from Seattle to Calgary to see some of Canada but understand it may prove expense to take a rental car across the border? Anyone ever done this. Otherwise we will have to travel fromSeattle back to Vancouver to get the rental car or even leave the cruise at Victoria (the last night of the cruise) if that is allowed - is it?

Check with the rental car company. On our Alaska cruise last year, we rented a car from Avis in Skagway and drove up into the Yukon. There's really nowhere else to go but Canada - that't the only road in there. So it would be silly to charge extra for Canada.

So, I know there is no law against it or anything, but only by calling the car rental company can you answer the question about rates.

Check with the rental car company. On our Alaska cruise last year, we rented a car from Avis in Skagway and drove up into the Yukon. There's really nowhere else to go but Canada - that't the only road in there. So it would be silly to charge extra for Canada.

So, I know there is no law against it or anything, but only by calling the car rental company can you answer the question about rates.

Thanks for your reply we will start making some enquiries! PS - loved the picture of your dog - beautiful, We have an Old English Sheepdog - our baby!!

In May 2008 we rented a car in Seattle and drove to Vancouver for our Spirit cruise. Our drop off was at the terminal. One of the easiest rentals ever. We rented a car to go back after the cruise. Check with different companies to make sure there are no surcharges. I can't remember who we rented from but the price was fairly reasonable. We also rented a car to go to the Yukon. That was one of the best vacation days our family has ever spent. If you ask the kids about Alaska they will tell you about the day we drove to the Yukon. They all want to go back but they also want big weddings so I guess they will have to wait. Have great time in Alaska!!! Cindy

Thanks for your reply we will start making some enquiries! PS - loved the picture of your dog - beautiful, We have an Old English Sheepdog - our baby!!

Thanks - our dog is a true American Dingo - called a Carolina Dog. It was the dog the Native Americans had when the pilgrims came over.

The picture is of an actual Austrailian Dingo, though, since my dog won't pose like that :)

Archived