What are you reading on board?

flagger

If fiction, I'll probably be working my way through Stephen R. Donaldson. I heard his books are going to be made into telefilms, so I figured I had better read them first. I'd consider Crichton, but I don't typically buy his books in hardcover -- there are few authors I'm willing to do that for these days.

However, I think I might be on a non-fiction kick by then. I recently finished The South Beach Diet, and I just picked up Fast-Food Nation, though I'll be done with that pretty quickly. I might work my way through more health and fitness based non-fiction before I go back to novels.

We are sailing on the brilliance on 1/14 10 night panama canal, 5 sea days, 6 if you count the canal day! So we are bringing a few books!!

1. the Wedding - nicholas sparks

2. 2 weeks with my brother - nicholas sparks

3. panama canal by cruise ship

4. London travel book

5. Paris travel book

4&5 are for our next trip!

DH is getting the hour game & Oh, My for xmas, so those will be his reading materials!

I wasn't going to bring any books---just make use of the Mariner's library. I've never cruised before and have a silly question: can you "check" the books out and take them back to your cabin or to the pool? Is there usually a goodly supply of fiction?

Lea

I don't tend to bring books on cruises, but a couple I thought were good ( it has to be good for me to read---don't have a whole lot of time to "just read" )

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

The Feast of Love is a quick read---and it is was especially interesting to me because the setting for the book is in Ann Arbor, MI----about 30 minutes from where I live.

I wasn't going to bring any books---just make use of the Mariner's library. I've never cruised before and have a silly question: can you "check" the books out and take them back to your cabin or to the pool? Is there usually a goodly supply of fiction?

Lea

Yes you can check books out of the ship's library. Each ship varies as to what they carry, but all the ones I've been on seem to have a good supply. Just try to get there on the first day so you will have your pick.

I was in Target a couple of weeks ago and saw that Jimmy Buffet has a new novel out. I can't remember the name, but I do remember it took place on a tropical island. Hmmm, I wonder if the guy can actually write a decent book? Anyone read any of his stuff...other than Margaritaville? ;)

Jimmy Buffet's fiction is actually pretty good. I've read "Tales From Margaritaville" and "Joe Merchant". I haven't read the new one yet, but I bought it for my middle son who lives on Hilton Head Island, SC, for Christmas.

I've also read "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen and it starts out on a cruise ship.

Other good ship reads are the novels by Dennis Lehane, Jonathan Kellerman, James Lee Burke, James W. Hall, T. Jefferson Parker, and Michael Connelly. Even though they're all male authors, my wife has read quite a few of their books and likes them, too. They pretty much all fit the "suspense/mystery" category.

I just finished Shoulder the Sky by Anne Perry. It's the middle book in a 3 novel suspense, spy, world war 1 trilogy. Now I'm going to have to back up and read No graves Yet to find the beginning. Highly recommend it. I didn't think I'd like it (about war) but find her plot very compelling, characters very convincing and as for the gory bits, easy to skim. :D Really enjoyed learning about Flanders Fields and Gallipoli. For those who might be interested in those areas, because they are going to Belgium ot Turkey, or because your relatives fought there, this is an easy way to learn history and geography.

Archived