Alaska - ms Zuiderdam June 20 - 27- Just Back!!

22Vines

MANY thanks, 22Vine, for your review. We are sailing on the Zuidy July 18 and are new to cruising, so your post was timely. Important question: On shore excursions in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan were you hassled by mosquitoes? I'm especially interested in the experiences of cruisers who opted for the outside adventures in the woods.

We went to the woods in Skagway via the train - no sketters to be seen. Juneau and Ketchikan - we were close to the ocean or on the ocean - no sketters either. It was a sketter free trip.

:) The inside passage from Vancouver is very scenic. Tracy Arm was a real treat. There were seals, bears, whales, porpoise and eagles. Great trip. It was our second trip to Glacier Bay. It is great to be up close. Having breakfast in the Pinnacle is a great perk for suite guests. The staff really went all out for the Meet and Greet on Sunday. Edwin, Head Bartender, was there to oversee the activity. Thanks HAL. :)

MANY thanks, 22Vine, for your review. We are sailing on the Zuidy July 18 and are new to cruising, so your post was timely. Important question: On shore excursions in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan were you hassled by mosquitoes? I'm especially interested in the experiences of cruisers who opted for the outside adventures in the woods.

The only mosquitoes we encountered were when we landed in a remote fjord during a floatplane trip out of Ketchikan. That was two weeks ago. They were not bad but they were there.

Thanks for the review on the Zuiderdam. We'll be sailing on her the middle of September for Alaska. The only other time we've been with HAL it was on Zuiderdam when she went to the Carribbean back in 2005. So, I really enjoyed what you had to report on everything!

Just got our documents for our sailing on the 25th of July! I noticed there are 2 formal and 5 smart casual nights. Can you tell us which nights were the 2 formal ones and if you have any recommendations? DH is still debating the tux vs the dark suit and if you do need jackets the other nights.

The formal nights were the first sea day (Sunday) and Glacier Bay (Wednesday.) We did not see a lot of tuxedos at the late dinner seating. A dark suit would be just fine IMHO for formal nights. Many men did not wear jackets on smart casual nights.

The formal nights were the first sea day (Sunday) and Glacier Bay (Wednesday.) We did not see a lot of tuxedos at the late dinner seating. A dark suit would be just fine IMHO for formal nights. Many men did not wear jackets on smart casual nights.

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that he will only need the suit and not a dinner jacket for the 'smart'casual' nights. As for me I'm bringing a long silk skirt that's sheer and filmy (instead of the big, stiffer ballgown skirt) and two tops to wear. For the other nights, a pair of nice ankle pants with a variety of pretty tops. I'm going to stick strickly to black to avoid the dreaded shoe problem!

Packing for Alaska is certainly a challenge. Since I cashed in miles for both our tickets to Vancouver, I'm not going to freak if we have to pay extra and just check a third damn suitcase!

Archived