Are rules meant to be broken???

Cathy p

The IRS doesn't care *where* you make your money. As long as you have an SSN or TIN and you make it anywhere in the world that wants to have a good relationship with the US, you'll pay taxes on it. ;)

It was rhetorical ! ;):p

These rules are a product of the computer age. When my daughter, who started cruising with me at the age of 12, we would visit Camp Carnival during the welcome aboard orientation. My daughter would decide at that time which age group she wanted to join, and as her parent, I would list her age as being within that group. No one was the wiser, and nobody really cared. Fast forward to the present; on board computers generate lists of all children and their ages. Camp Carnival counselors are told to strictly adhere to the age specific requirements of each age group. Any deviation now requires approval of a dept head.

You encouraged your daughter to lie just so she could be with the age group she wanted to be in. No one was the wiser? She was and so where you? And you are happy to call this good parenting?

The IRS doesn't care *where* you make your money. As long as you have an SSN or TIN and you make it anywhere in the world that wants to have a good relationship with the US, you'll pay taxes on it. ;)

This sounds like a rule but it is only a guideline. :D

If you stay out of country for a minimum of 330 days in a consecutive twelve month period, the first $87,600 of earned income from foreign sources are excluded from US income tax.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch04.html#en_US_publink100047398

This sounds like a rule but it is only a guideline. :D

If you stay out of country for a minimum of 330 days in a consecutive twelve month period, the first $87,600 of earned income from foreign sources are excluded from US income tax.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch04.html#en_US_publink100047398

Actually, I think it's a law with an exception ... :D

Actually, I think it's a law with an exception ... :D

Now I'm really confused. :confused: I thought legislatures made laws and administrative agencies made rules to implement those laws. I could sure use some guidance. :D

Now I'm really confused. :confused: I thought legislatures made laws and administrative agencies made rules to implement those laws. I could sure use some guidance. :D

The US Tax Code is a law. It has exceptions written into it. An agency, such as the IRS (in conjuction with the US Attorney General's Office, if it comes to that), administers and enforces the code. Implementation is usually included in the law. Proper administration is not always though, and that's were policies and "rules" come into play. They are supposed to be consistent with the law. Sometimes they aren't.

How many times do you think Camp Carnival hears about little Johnny or Susie is "mature for their age" and should participate in the big boy/girl program? Honestly, have you ever heard someone say, "My little Johnny isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. You're not going to move him up an age group are you?"

Not like they will have trouble making friends. My 8 & 9 yo go to different groups and all we hear about is my new friend this or my new friend that.

The kids probably couldn't care less. That is unless their parent makes a big deal about it to their child.

I love reading the reviews from all types of people, however, there was one for the Legend on the review page that just irrated me so I thought I would jump in with my 2 cents.

Someone complained that the head of Camp Carnival did not want to allow their child to participate in the 9 to 11 age group. The child was 8. I am so sorry, why in the world would they have an age group listed if they were to always break the rules. In her case they did after several days of complaining. The person rated the trip a 2 so it seems Carnival could not please the person.

I love listening to all types of reviews, however, I am a firm believer in rules. Ok I am done now and feel so much better. Thanks for listening.:)

In this case, no. I can see some liability issues.

In general, probably. It's the Fun Ship, not Gitmo. ;)

How many times do you think Camp Carnival hears about little Johnny or Susie is "mature for their age" and should participate in the big boy/girl program? Honestly, have you ever heard someone say, "My little Johnny isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. You're not going to move him up an age group are you?"

Not like they will have trouble making friends. My 8 & 9 yo go to different groups and all we hear about is my new friend this or my new friend that.

The kids probably couldn't care less. That is unless their parent makes a big deal about it to their child.

but I think that is where the parent should speak up.. If a child is slow to maturity and the group that week is heavy in the older aged kids the parent should be able to say my child might fit in better with a younger group. However, I would never push the issue because it is only a week or so and if you child doesn't fit in then they are not required to go.

I get your sentiment, but that's a bad analogy. There's a world of difference between the guidelines Carnival uses for setting up their youth activity groups and state educational statutes that dictates what grade a child should be placed in.

And even those state statutes have exemptions and exceptions -- take, for example, giften children who accelerated a grade level.

I guess I was thinking most parents asking for their children to be in the same group because they feel more comfortable with their children being together so my point about school is there is a time you have to let your children try a new experience without the safety net of a sibling being by their side. It can be a little scary trying something new but it is a great learning experience for your child to make new friends and be independent. As far as activities I would tell my children to give it a try "you might find out you really enjoy it". I have kids ages 12 and 14 who have only been in camp carnival together once and they have made new friends on every cruise. Have they been bored by some of the activities, sure and they usually show up and hang around with us or go watch tv.

Thanks for my morning laugh!

I find that most folks who claim their kids are "mature" for their age are usually full of hogwash. Let kids be kids. They have plenty of years ahead of them to be "mature". Heck, I have a husband who has yet to mature!

Actually, my neighbor insisted her youngest child have an extra year of kindergarten because she didn't feel he was ready to move onto first grade. In her words "He's a sweet kid, but Jesus, is he stupid sometimes!"

You encouraged your daughter to lie just so she could be with the age group she wanted to be in. No one was the wiser? She was and so where you? And you are happy to call this good parenting?

Wow lighten up!!!

Technically we teach our kids to lie when we socialize them with standard exchanges of pleasantries. "Hi!...How are you?" "I'm fine, and you?" "I'm fine too, thank you". Much of the time when we exchange these greetings one or both parties are not telling the truth. If Pegs222 wants to consider this the end of civilization I guess that explains much about the state of our world. :D

Yes thank god for the 5 conservative justices who voted that way or we would have a real problem. I still can't believe the 4 libs on that voted that it was ok to do that to that girl, but then again I am about to be told what health care doctor i can see. As someone from Canada please don't go there America.

Wherever you are getting you news, drop that outlet immediately...you are being snookered.

The vote was 8 to 1 with only conservative Thomas doing his usual nothing.

Find a real news outlet somewhere.......

Technically we teach our kids to lie when we socialize them with standard exchanges of pleasantries. "Hi!...How are you?" "I'm fine, and you?" "I'm fine too, thank you". Much of the time when we exchange these greetings one or both parties are not telling the truth. If Pegs222 wants to consider this the end of civilization I guess that explains much about the state of our world. :D

Maybe not teaching a child to lie , but how many parents have scolded a child when they have simply told the truth

"Boy Grandma you are old "

" Aunt Mary sure is fat"

Yes I know those things aren't nice and hurtful to be said , but a child is just telling it like it is, and then gets scolded for it .

Excuse me? Where did I ever say "this the end of civilization". Please do not put words in my mouth.

Archived