Gibraltar in a morning/is it possible

Tripgy

:confused:Our last stop on our cruise is Gibraltar, As we only have the morning on the island me and my hubby were wondering about the size of the island for getting around. We would like to go up the rocks cable car and also see st micheals caves is this poss on our own as we prefer seeing things for ourself or will it be necessary to take a trip. any feed back would be much appreciatedthanks.

:confused:Our last stop on our cruise is Gibraltar, As we only have the morning on the island me and my hubby were wondering about the size of the island for getting around. We would like to go up the rocks cable car and also see st micheals caves is this poss on our own as we prefer seeing things for ourself or will it be necessary to take a trip. any feed back would be much appreciatedthanks.

Tripgy,

Shouldn't be a problem at all, if you don't want to do a ships excursion I'd recommend getting a taxi from the Port gates (a very short walk).

Making sure the driver knows you've got to be back at leat 30 mins before you sail.

There are also ships shuttle buses in and out of the town as well.

Carl

We did all you want to do on the pando tour and it was great, please don't dismiss it...

You go in minibuses, no big coaches, about 16 people with a driver and a guide.

First you are taken by minibus to the cable car station, you go up to the rock. At the top is a viewing platform and cafe, time for a coffee and admire the view - and apes!

Then you walk the coastal path with the guide pointing out interesting facts and viewpoints to the caves. You explore the inside of the caves, then we got back in the minibus and were taken to the war tunnels, explore that and then taken back to the square in Gib or back to ship. We were unusually there for a day so we then had a beer and pub lunch in the square and then did some duty free shopping. You would probably be taken back to the ship on a 1/2 day trip.

How long does it take to get from the top of the rock, along the coastal path and down to the caves. Do you know how far apart they are? How far is all this from the port itself? Appreciating your knowledge - yet again!

We walked from the ship to the cable car, did that then walked back, plenty of time for shopping & a couple of drinks...I guess at a couple of miles each way. If I had my way we would have done a trip with one of the many minibuses at 25 whatevers, as we didn't see the caves etc. nice morning though. Sailed about 1-2 pm

Will warn you that the cable car up the rock can get very busy, and last year had to queue for about 30-45 mins to get on.

If you are a bit tight for time and want to go up the rock, would recommend the trip excursion, or at least be first off the ship and get a taxi to the rock.

Good luck

Scrozuk

We did the Gibralta trip last year on the Oriana. We walked to the Cable car station straight from the ship and arrived just before the mini bus tours organised by P and O. They joined the line behind us just inside the station. the only people they jumped in front of was the ones waiting to buy the tickets.

We had plenty of time to do the tour and shop. There is a shuttle bus from the harbour to town entrance but again we walked quicker than the bus filling up and driving.

hope this helps.

Paul:)

Don't agree.

Have you gone further afield than the duty free high street?

Can't speak for Alberich but I have ventured away from the high street. On an 'overview-type' ship's tour, all I could find was a gigantic building site: have I missed something, or was that it?

Sir Martin

Can't speak for Alberich but I have ventured away from the high street. On an 'overview-type' ship's tour, all I could find was a gigantic building site: have I missed something, or was that it?

Sir Martin

YES YOU MISSED SOMETHING....

The cable car ride to the top of the Rock

Views over the Med to Africa and over to Spain, then enjoy a coffee at the cafe on the rock

Watching the apes attack people and steal their food

The coastal walk along to St Michael's Cave -viewing caverns of stalactites some say is a bottomless cave to Africa. There is also a massive one there that fell from the roof of the cave which is very interesting and a natural auditorium used for concerts.

The Great Seige Tunnels - Excavated in the seige of 1779 by soliders and used again the Great war, a 45min tour .

So no, not just 'a building site':rolleyes:

There is more to Gibraltar than the duty free high street if you look for it,...

Tripgy,

Your thread opening question was..

Gibraltar in a morning/is it possible ?

Above trip was done in a morning tour, returning you back to the trip.

A great overview of Gibralter if you haven't been there before. I hope you found my comments helpful,

Sue

Archived