Has anyone sailed Memorial Day weekend?

Lady_Jag

I'm booked on the Carnival Dream, and we set sail Memorial weekend 2010 for a 7-night Western Caribbean route.

My mom is sailing with us, but my brother has her terrified that the ship will be overcrowded. He said he sailed during a holiday once, and swore he would never do it again. (Although he often takes Thanksgiving cruises.)

So I'd like to know from those of you who sailed Memorial Day weekend - how bad is it?

I checked the school schedules for the upcoming school year (colleges, high schools, and elementary schools), and it looks like the public schools don't let out for the summer until early/mid June.

Of course I'm not going to cancel my cruise just because there's a chance the ship will be packed, but I'd like to give my mom a little reassurance that not all holiday weekends are cruise nightmares. :rolleyes:

We were on Carnival Pride for a seven day cruise that embarked during the Memorial Day weekend in 06.

Carnival knows how to price their cruises optimally to fill their ships. The fares were still much closer to the winter rates than the summer rates. As a result, the ship was full but it wasn't crowded.

Almost all the schools were in session that week but there were exceptions. (I remember that California State University Northridge had concluded by then since DW teaches two classes there and she ran into one of her students on the cruise.) (That was one of the reasons we could book that week.) As a result, there were plenty of kids but not enough for them to be any kind of problem.

Don't sweat it.

Archived