Also just back from Bermuda on the Dawn

Mooder

We had one of our best cruises ever even with the crappy weather. We are spoiled forever by the BA aft cabin - we just wish the weather would have allowed us to spend more time on it. I will be working on a complete review but thought I would mention something that took us 2 days on Bermuda to discover and I never saw mentioned on CC (though obviously I could have simply missed it).

In addition to the usual ferry schedule, which we picked up at the information desk the first day, there was an additional ferry schedule just for the NCL Dawn. Called the Big Ferry, it went direct from the pier so even closer to the ship than the usual ferry from the Dockyard. We never saw this schedule until our second day on the island when it was posted at the terminal in Hamilton - we were there the day before and did not see it. This was a great addition as it filled in some gaps in the usual ferry schedule. For instance, the day we had High Tea in Hamilton, we thought we would have to wait until 6:00 when we missed the 4:45 ferry back to the Dockyard, but there was a 5:00 "Big Ferry."

The woman at the information desk in the terminal told us about this ferry. It docks just outside the door which is next to her desk. It worked out well for us.

I am so glad to hear they were telling people. It was such chaos when we were at the desk, we got little information, just our passes. Did they have printouts of the schedule available? We asked for it in Hamilton, but they didn't have any.

Mooder ~ we found this, too. When we first disembarked, there were a few people right outside the dock house yelling, "Hamilton ferry this way!" and pointing to that very spot. We took the Big Ferry back to the Dockyard from Hamilton on our first day (after spending time in St. George and taking the bus to Hamilton after a very "Swaggering" lunch at Swizzle!).

Mooder ~ we found this, too. When we first disembarked, there were a few people right outside the dock house yelling, "Hamilton ferry this way!" and pointing to that very spot. We took the Big Ferry back to the Dockyard from Hamilton on our first day (after spending time in St. George and taking the bus to Hamilton after a very "Swaggering" lunch at Swizzle!).

Hey there, 2Cruise! We followed that same plan (except we took a regular ferry back)! We loved our lunch at the Swizzle and we shared a table with a very nice American family, whose daughter lives on the island. She was taking her parents to the airport after a 10 day visit. It was pouring and she offered to come back for us and drive us to Hamilton so we wouldn't have to wait in the rain for the bus. Such a nice person!! And it was very interesting hearing about her experiences. The kindness and generosity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Hi! Does the 'big ferry' run on some sort of schedule, i.e. every 1/2 or hour or so? Or only a few times a day? Will the Dawn have its schedule or do we need to get it when we buy our passes? Do they take the regular pass or is it a 'special' one? We're sailing on the dawn 8-30 to Bermuda from NY.. Thanks very much in advance..

Hi! Does the 'big ferry' run on some sort of schedule, i.e. every 1/2 or hour or so? Or only a few times a day? Will the Dawn have its schedule or do we need to get it when we buy our passes? Do they take the regular pass or is it a 'special' one? We're sailing on the dawn 8-30 to Bermuda from NY.. Thanks very much in advance..

They take the regular pass. I didn't look at the schedule long enough to notice if there was a pattern - we just found the time we wanted and jumped. :) But it seemed to fill in the gaps between the regular ferry. The Dawn didn't have the schedule that I knew of. I'd ask about it when you buy your pass at the terminal just as you leave the Dawn. At the very least, it will be posted at the ferry terminal in Hamilton. It is a photocopy on regular 8 1/2 x 11 " paper.

If you have even half as much fun as I did, you'll have a great cruise! Enjoy!

Around 10:30 on day of arrival, we took a walk out and asked about the ferries and purchased our passes. We were informed about a fast ferry that would be only steps from the ship/building @ 4:30PM to Hamilton.

We went back to the ship to enjoy the spa which was completly empty.:D

4:30 fast ferry had us and 5 other people on it and they were not tourist!

They take the regular pass. I didn't look at the schedule long enough to notice if there was a pattern - we just found the time we wanted and jumped. :) But it seemed to fill in the gaps between the regular ferry. The Dawn didn't have the schedule that I knew of. I'd ask about it when you buy your pass at the terminal just as you leave the Dawn. At the very least, it will be posted at the ferry terminal in Hamilton. It is a photocopy on regular 8 1/2 x 11 " paper.

If you have even half as much fun as I did, you'll have a great cruise! Enjoy!

Mooder: Thanks very much. We'll check at the Terminal..Glad u had a good time. I'm sure we will as well. Love Bermuda :-)

Has anyone done 9 beaches on their own? If so, coould you please tell me:

1) How close to King's Wharf/Heritage is it? (approximately)

2) Can you get there by bus and how much per person each way?

3) Is there is a charge to go on the beach and for chair rentals?

4) Are they bathrooms/ or place to grab a snack/drink available?

We're going on Dawn 8-30 and need some information about this beach. The other 2 days there we already have an idea of what we want to do.

Thanks very much to all who reply!

Has anyone done 9 beaches on their own? If so, coould you please tell me:

1) How close to King's Wharf/Heritage is it? (approximately)

2) Can you get there by bus and how much per person each way?

3) Is there is a charge to go on the beach and for chair rentals?

4) Are they bathrooms/ or place to grab a snack/drink available?

We're going on Dawn 8-30 and need some information about this beach. The other 2 days there we already have an idea of what we want to do.

Thanks very much to all who reply!

We've done 9 Beaches on our own twice. It's about 15 minutes from Heritage Wharf. You can catch the shuttle in front of the Bone Fish Bar & Grille every hour on the 1/2 hour. It was $10 for the 4 of us (2 kids). They do have 9 Beaches. There is one public beach that is free. Chairs and umbrellas are there and are no charge. They have a bar and grill right next to it. The drinks and food are really good. They do offer a day pass for use of the water sport equipment. I just don't remember how much. We loved it there!

We've done 9 Beaches on our own twice. It's about 15 minutes from Heritage Wharf. You can catch the shuttle in front of the Bone Fish Bar & Grille every hour on the 1/2 hour. It was $10 for the 4 of us (2 kids). They do have 9 Beaches. There is one public beach that is free. Chairs and umbrellas are there and are no charge. They have a bar and grill right next to it. The drinks and food are really good. They do offer a day pass for use of the water sport equipment. I just don't remember how much. We loved it there!

Thank you so much 2cruise4ever! Glad it was good for you. We'll use our 3 day pass for the bus and probably do the ''free beach" for a few hours...Sounds great and I bet its not over-crowded. Enjoy whatever you do and be safe.

Archived