Docked at Cristobal & not transiting the Canal?

elusion

So I've been looking at some cruises and saw that the one that caught my eye is the MSC Poesia 10-day FLL return. I don't think it transits the locks and docks straight at Cristobal.

Is this worthwhile? I read on part threads on this forum that transiting the locks on a ferry gives you a more up-close view of the locks. What are the pros & cons of ferry vs cruise chip transiting?

Do you know of any local operators that I should look at tours with? I read the pier authorities don't let you get off the ship if you're not on a tour, so is it safer to book an excursion with the cruise line?

I like the MSC cruise due to their ports and the time in ports compared to the Island Princess which does a similar route but spends lesser time in Aruba and Cartagena.

Thanks a lot!!

Is this worthwhile? I read on part threads on this forum that transiting the locks on a ferry gives you a more up-close view of the locks. What are the pros & cons of ferry vs cruise chip transiting?

I think it is very worthwhile. It does give you a very up close look at the locks. You get to see the Pacific Locks, Miraflores and Pedro Miguel as well as the Gaillard Cut, it should give you a good appreciation of the what was accomplished a 100 years ago. Seeing the operation from a large ship gives you a completely different perspective, both are excellent. Since you won't be able to do both this time, maybe you will come back on another cruise. Getting off the ship and doing the Canal by Ferry (whatever they call it) will give you a chance to see something of Panama, which you may not be able to do if you are on a full transit. Biggest cons are probably long day and can be on the warm side.

As far as local tour operators go, usually when there is a cruise ship in port, the cruise ship usually has the ferry tours exclusivley. As far as other tours that take you to the Pacific side I would recommend booking through the ship. Even though the new highway is open and travel to the Pacific side should be much easier, you are quite a distance from your ship should there be a problem getting back. A lot of folks have used independent tour operators and have had good luck.

As far as I know the only time you have to book through the ship is on the partial transit where they discharge passengers in Gatun Lake after locking through Gatun Locks. Otherwise if you are at the regular dock in Colon you can engage tours on your own.

Archived