Snorkeling: Key West, Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios

We went to St. John last year and I got hooked on snorkeling, although I am a "timid" snorkeler - healthy respect for the ocean. I prefer calm water. My husband will snorkel anywhere and be fine! Anyway, it sounds like I might as well scratch Ochos Rios off my list, correct? In Grand Cayman I'm not thrilled about the rays, but is the snorkeling better out on the reef/coral gardens or just as good at Cemetary Reef or Eden Rock? I do love the beach, too! Also, how is the Key West snorkeling? Is the water really rough out at the reef? Thanks for your help!

We went to St. John last year and I got hooked on snorkeling, although I am a "timid" snorkeler - healthy respect for the ocean. I prefer calm water. My husband will snorkel anywhere and be fine! Anyway, it sounds like I might as well scratch Ochos Rios off my list, correct? In Grand Cayman I'm not thrilled about the rays, but is the snorkeling better out on the reef/coral gardens or just as good at Cemetary Reef or Eden Rock? I do love the beach, too! Also, how is the Key West snorkeling? Is the water really rough out at the reef? Thanks for your help!

In Grand Cayman, I've been on a snorkling excursion on a boat and I've been diving at Eden Rock. If you don't care about the stingrays and you are comfortable snorkling without a guide, I think you'd be happy with Eden Rock. Lots to see near the shore, shallow reef, usually with good visibility. Added benefit of being easy to get to.

Thanks, heydn! Did you see just as much variety, etc. at Eden Rock? I'm trying to make a decision, which I a have difficulty with! Ha

I saw more at Eden Rock than I saw on our previous snorkle trip. Of course, I was diving, but had I stayed at the surface, I still would have seen more there. Lots of parrotfish there in particular. First pic below was near the shore (probably about 8-10 ft deep). Other two were a bit further out (15-20 ft deep).

47b9da33b3127cce98548264930300000028108AcOWrZkzbub47b9da33b3127cce9854826b123c00000028108AcOWrZkzbub47b9da33b3127cce98548269123e00000028108AcOWrZkzbub

The people who run the dive shop there can tell you the best places to go. When the wind picks up, it can be a bit choppy at the surface, but it's usually pretty smooth there. Good Luck, and have fun.

Archived