Ship's tours to Newport Mansions - Do I have to return back to ship on tour?

swdke

Thinking about doing self tours to some mansions, but one mansion, Rough Point does not seem to be operating on Sunday, the day we're in port. However, there does seem to be a Ship's tour. I thought maybe do the early Ships tour to Rough Point, but not return to the ship on the tour, but to stay and continue with visisting other mansions on my own using the local trolley/bus for transportation. Question is, can I do this? Do I have to return on the ship's tour bus back to port/tour departure point, or can I just skip the tour return back to the ship and continue on my own? Otherwise, I'd have to return back with the tour, then take the trolley/bus back. Be simpler to just stay and continue with visiting another mansion as I wish, and not be forced to return back to the ship. If this can be done, then I am sure other's have done it in the past and I'd like to know how it worked out for them.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve...I live in RI...close to Newport..and have been on other cruises....tours..I don't think you would have to go back to the ship after your AM tour is completed. I would think you could just go off on your own if you would like to have lunch, see other mansions etc. Newport is a small town so transportation should not be a problem.

good luck..

Jennifer

Hi,

Hopefully Jennifer or someone else with similar knowledge will see my post.

We are planning a ship tour to see the mansions - most from the outside but the differtent tours do seem to take in different mansions on the inside - but only one per tour. We will be quite happy visiting one of the mansions and not all.

I wonder if there is a particular mansion that people would say stands out above the rest and should not perhaps be missed.

We will probably only visit one mansion on our forthcoming cruise and will probably spend the remaining time in port doing some walking around Newport.

Hope to hear from someone.

Del.

I wonder if there is a particular mansion that people would say stands out above the rest and should not perhaps be missed.

I've been told The Breakers is the one to see if you can only see one. But I don't know how true this may be compared to the others, and I look forward to comparisons as well.

Archived