Royal Family Suite

Having a hard time deciding on the RFS or the OS. Both are the same price. We are a family of 4. Like the extra bedroom with the RFS but not sure about the aft location. This is a September cruise and the water could be choppy. Is there a big difference in motion being in the aft?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a big difference in motion being in the aft?

Yes, could be! On our Med-Cruise this spring we had some shaky waves in the atlantic ocean between great britain and portugal and it was not funny in the aft for some of us :D. The best location during this troubles was midship on a lower deck... .

And: there is a looooong walk to the aft if you would like to cruise on an freedom-class. You will walk this part several times a day... .

Where do you plan to cruise?

We were 4 adults and a toddler - the cabin was excellent; not so luxury like a GS or OS, but a lot of space. Here you can find some pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/swisscruiser/FS8414IndependenceOfTheSeas#

Marco

Thanks for the pictures! We're sailing on FOS to the Caribbean in Sept. Our kids our 9 and 7. Our first cruise with RCL. We've sailed on Disney and NCL in the past. Both times our cabins were in the center of the ship.

Like the kids bedroom with the RFS but like the location of the OS. In the OS I figured one kid on the sofa sleeper and another on a rollaway bed. Anything else I should be considering?

You might consider 2 balcony connecting rooms -then you will be able to pick a different location. There will be no tub but 2 bathrooms and 2 showers. We keep the connecting door open all day and the kids know they are not allowed out on the balcony with out one of us. It was also cheaper than a suite - unless you wan the extra services.

Thanks for the pictures! We're sailing on FOS to the Caribbean in Sept. Our kids our 9 and 7. Our first cruise with RCL. We've sailed on Disney and NCL in the past. Both times our cabins were in the center of the ship.

Like the kids bedroom with the RFS but like the location of the OS. In the OS I figured one kid on the sofa sleeper and another on a rollaway bed. Anything else I should be considering?

The OS is really roomy. I know that two bathrooms is a plus, but I really liked the location of the OS on the FOS. We only have one child so bathrooms don't really affect my choices. Location is a big factor for me. I really like convenience and OS's have it.

You could get a rollaway I suppose, but the sofabed is queen sized.

Either choice you make I sure will be a great experience. Have fun

That's exactly what we did on the past cruises. Two balcony cabins connected. Wife really wants to try a suite this time because of the added perks. Now that we're on the subject of suites, just how much are those perks worth to those of you who have sailed in suites before?

We just had our first suite on the Adventure of the Seas, we were in the royal family suite. We had five adults in our room so the extra room was really nice. I have never been in an OS so I can't really comment on it. This was our first time in an Aft balcony and you could feel more movement in our cabin. When we were in the center of the ship, we couldn't feel anything but when we went back to the cabin you could feel movement. We did not have rough seas during our cruise. It wasn't bad, my niece and I just wore the wristbands and we were fine. As for the suite perks, the express line during check in was fantastic. We left from San Juan, it was really hot and the line was extremely long, so avoiding that was nice. The concierge was nice because we had a couple of issues and she quickly resolved them, I tried myself through guest relations first. We did not use the lounge before dinner which if you are traveling with children they have to be 18 to go in during 5-8 p.m. (I am not positive about the hours) We used the free pressing service which was nice and dvds from the concierge. The express luggage fee of $20.00 per person was waived since we were in a suite. They had reserved seating in the ice show but there were plenty of seats available. I hope that helps, enjoy your cruise!!

We were in a stern RFS in May and I didn't feel much motion at all. We were able to use the balcony the entire cruise. It had an alcove also and the balcony was huge. We spent a lot of time out there and it was also great having 2 bathrooms and the extra bedroom. There are pics in my webshots album in my signature if you want to check them out.

It didn't seem to be a long walk anywhere for us either, but The Grandeur is probably smaller than the FOS.

Have a great time whatever you choose.

Jackie

That's exactly what we did on the past cruises. Two balcony cabins connected. Wife really wants to try a suite this time because of the added perks. Now that we're on the subject of suites, just how much are those perks worth to those of you who have sailed in suites before?

This is just me but I don't see a benefit. We went in the family suite and the grand suite on Navigator and the ice show was open seating -so no perk there, there was no such thing as special pool chairs then, the conceirge lounge was small and very limited bar- no bartender. The conceirge was not helpful or very friendly. We got a fruit tray and a cheese tray in our rooms but it was generic food everyone can get off the room service menu. We got no Suite benefits at all. We were able to use the faster line at checkin but when we arrived there were no lines anywhere so that was a moot point.

We asked the conceirge for help with excursions and he sent us to the explorations desk.

We thought the FS was nice and the kids loved the extra room but it is far away from the elevators. The balcony also is overlooking the staff break area- not very private and you have another balcony above and behind you- like stair step- so the can look at whatever your doing- also not good if they are smoking, spitting, etc.

I love the room in the suites but the perks are not worth the money you spend on these rooms.

Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Wander how much the new perks will make a difference, if any? Since were going in Sept all the changes will have taken place.

From what I read here it really depends on the conceirge. Lots of people have very positive experiences and LOVE their conceige.

We had the same one for both times we were in suites. We gave up. We are trying a balcony room this time. We may be crying for our suite back by the end of the week.

Yes, could be! On our Med-Cruise this spring we had some shaky waves in the atlantic ocean between great britain and portugal and it was not funny in the aft for some of us :D. The best location during this troubles was midship on a lower deck... .

Marco

I thought Aft and lowdown was the best location on a cruise ship on choppy waters?

On our last day on Independence I walked around deck 10 (rest of the family was sitting in the CL) and believe I saw a special cabin: I only could get a quick view thrue the open door, but it seems to me like a "Familiy Oceanview Stateroom" ( http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multimedia/popup/cabinTypeSchematic.do;jsessionid=0000HAmlUhdwxU_m-3Hi-KaJxN0:12hbioan0?br=R&cabincls=O&cabinType=FF&shipCode=ID&popuptype=schematicImage ).

But it was between the OS's on deck 10 and had a balcony... . But I guess to see bunk beds behind a curtain. I think it was between OS #1340 and JS #1300 (which was our first booked cabin).

Anybody knows something about that? In the deckplans I only can find OS, JS and D1. Maybe it was #1328, which should be a bigger JS (wheelchair)?

Otherwise - if it is something like an Family Oceanview Stateroom with balcony - would this be an possible alternative in the middle of the ship... .

I thought Aft and lowdown was the best location on a cruise ship on choppy waters?

IMHO no! On our cruise the waves were just about 2 meters high - but in the front & aft the ship was shaking up and down while in the middle it was a little bit more quiet... .

i believe RFS have a 5 person minimum. At least when I tried to book for a family of 4m the RCCL representatives told me that.

Yes, that was what we were told also, but a couple of days after we booked another suite, the RFS was available for 3 people and we jumped on it. They drop the limit as the cruise gets closer and they're not booked.

Keep checking if that's what you want. Just put in the number of people and it will tell you what rooms are available.

Good luck...

From what I read here it really depends on the conceirge. Lots of people have very positive experiences and LOVE their conceige.

We had the same one for both times we were in suites. We gave up. We are trying a balcony room this time. We may be crying for our suite back by the end of the week.

I hope you added that to your comment card! That is really unfortunate. RCCL lost addition $$ from you because you didn't have the experience they advertised for a suite.

I found that sometimes the concierge on Explorer in April felt like she couldn't be bothered and other times she was helpful. The same thing happened on the Freedom last Oct. It is like they run hot or cold. I'm sure they may get some ridiculous requests at times, however they should be professional enough to know just smile and try to SEEM helpful at least.

Re: the reserved items for suites that you mentioned not getting. I don't believe it was really fully implemented when you sailed last year. We were on Freedom in October in OS and the NEW suite perks were not available yet..

But on the Explorer in April this year they were.

Just got back from the RFS on Mariner... there were 5 of us so it was a no brainer. The extra bathroom was a must!

The motion was the same to me but the walk was certainly longer. Didn't like the lack of privacy on the balcony but that is a trade off for the extra room there, and there was LOTS of it. Also you get to see both sides when you have an aft balcony.

I enjoyed the Suite perks and didn't use them all. Sitting in Chops for breakfast was great. The pool chairs were good too. Didn't go to the private reception with the Captain but wished I did. Captain Johnny has a great personality.

Archived