Question about Halifax

I posted this question on another board and it was suggested I put it here. We are renting a car from Avis when we get to Halifax on July 16th. Avis told me they would pick us up at the port if we called them and bring us back to their office to pick up the car. After going to Peggy's Cove, Titantic Cemetary and Maritime Museum We will be dropping off the car back at the Avis Office. If there is any time left I thought maybe we could walk to the Citadel or maybe the beautiful gardens everyone is talking about on here from the Avis Office and then walk back to the ship. How close is the Avis Office which is at 1717 Grafton to the Citadel and Gardens. I am in port from 9 - 6 is it possible to see all of this driving a rental car. Thanks for any info.:)

It is alot to do in a day. It's about a 50 minute drive to Peggy's Cove from the Armdale Rotary, which is about a 10 minute drive from downtown Halifax. You will spend at least an hour at Peggy's Cove(especially if it's a nice day). There's a nice shop and a restaurant which serves delicious Maritime food. You probably wouldn't be back in Halifax until 12.30 -I p.m. The Titantic Cemetery I would skip. There's an exhibit at the Maritime Museum on the Titantic (and Halifax Explosion) which ,to me, would be more interesting. Keep in mind, that in Halifax, it's hard to find parking space. If you wanted to see the Public Gardens, I would see that when you had the car. It's not as close as the Citadel and Museum are to Grafton St. You could spend at least a couple of hours at both places. The Citadel and Museum are about 5 -10 minute walk from Grafton St. One uphill and one downhill. Hope this helps.

It will probably be a four hour trip to Peggy's Cove and back. Make sure you get accurate directions - it can be confusing. After you return the car I would recommned just walking around. You can get to the Public Gardens walking in about 15 minutes. It's a nice walk, just go up Spring Garden Rd (where there's lots of shopping) and go for a relaxing walk around Gardens. You could also take a walk around the waterfront. There's a walkway not far from the pier. Along that walkway is the Maritime Musem with the Titanic exhibit. It's worth seeing. You can also get around town on a bus called FRED (free ride everywhere downtown - here's the link: http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36 ) - very handy. Citadel Hill is also a great place, but you need to plan a few hours to explore it.

Grafton St is definitely withiin walking distance of the Gardens. If you got back from Peggy's Cove by 2:00 then you'd still have a few hours to explore.

Try this website: http://www.yourcab.ca. You can hire this company to take you to Peggy's Cove - that way you won't get lost and you will probably get a driver with a lot of knowledge of the area.

Enjoy your time in this beautiful city.

• 3 weeks later...

This might have already been asked on another posting, but I'll start here anyway. Is it possible to rent a car, let's say from Avis or someone close to the pier, and drive to Lunenberg and Peggy's Cove and back with enough time to look around both for an hour or so if the ship get's in at 9:00am and departs at 6:00pm?

We really would like to see both, but the ship doesn't offer that package and the independent tours are too expensive and include stuff we don't need. The thinking is the rental car might be cost effective and at our pace.

Meantime I'll check out Yourcab.com.

We just got back from a cruise to Halifax this past weekend. Our ship was in Halifax from 9 - 6 this past Thursday. We rented a car from Avis which is located at 1717 Grafton Street. I booked it online. They told us they would pick us up and to call when we got into town but when we got in no one would answer the phone . It was about a 15 minute walk to Avis. Uphill part of the way. When I got there she told me they were super busy because everyone came at once so that is why they did not answer the phone. We drove to Peggy's Cove. It was a wonderful trip. We used our GPS plus I also mapquested it just in case. We came in on one road and then came back a different way. The road that runs along the coast line was very pretty. I got to the Avis Office at around 10 and I was back by 2:00. We were not rushed at all. Plenty of time to climb the rocks at Peggys Cove and also we went to the airplane memorial which is about a mile from Peggy's Cove. We had plenty of time so we stopped at the Titantic Cemetary and then we dropped off the car and walked downhill to the Maritime Museum. Avis said they would take us but they said we could probably get to the Museum faster by walking ourselves and they were right. Also, I don't believe the Avis Office is very far from the gardens or the Citadel so you might see that also. You should have plenty of time to see the two places you mentioned by rental car. I would definately recommend renting a car. It was nice to be able to stay as long as we wanted to and to also stop and get a soda when we wanted to. The road was very easy to drive. Hope this info helps. Have a great cruise! :)

Oh, I forgot to tell you the price. It was around $88.00 in Canadian Dollars. That translates to around $79.00 in American. Be sure to use your credit card so your credit card company will make the change from Canadian to American and that will save you some money. I thought that was reasonable for what we were able to see and do.

Archived