Suite Life - those that have cruised with other lines

Dancer76

We have had Suites on RCCL and Celebrity,

We enjoy the SKy suite and above on Celebrity, We like the traditional Butler, and extra perks, I have heard the NCL suites VIP is awesome, But we do not like anything else about NCL or we would try it out

We have had the best Suites on Celebrity so far, and its not over the top it feels right for us.

Happy Sailing

We've also had a suite on Holland America. They have 4 Vista Class ships with amazing 'aft' suite balconies (called verandahs on HAL). They wrap around the cabin on two sides and are larger than most cabins. Their Neptune lounge is very nice, and for us, filled in for a butler. It seemed there were more events (cocktail parties or luncheons) for suite passengers on HAL. The bathrooms and toiletries on NCL are better IMHO. Except for 2 Penthouse Suites on HAL, their suites are just large, nicely appointed single rooms...no separate bedrooms or dining areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to find a cruise for my husband and I to take in Jan or Feb of 2010 to the Carribean for our 1yr anniversary. I have cruised before on Princess, HAL, Cunard, and NCL (Jewel) but only in inside rooms or balconies. I think I have narrowed it down to the NCL Pearl or the Celebrity Solstice. We would get an AE suite on the Pearl or a sky suite on the Solstice. We want good food and service. From what I have read surprisingly, it seems the food may be better on the Pearl but one would recieve more pampered attention on the Solstice. I am curious if anyone has any opinions on the 2 ships/suites.

Have sailed suites on NCL, RCCL and Princess.

NCL has always been ahead IMHO with suite perks, with Princess a close second.

However, RCCL has upgraded their suite perks in the past 6 months and we really enjoyed them. For example, reservedseating area at the pool deck, reserved seating at the shows, priority embarkation/debarkation/tendering. Concierge did a great job. But no butler. Not a big deal for us as we don't use the butler much anyway.

So now I make my choice based on ship, price and itinerary, because all 3 have excellent suite service.

Have sailed suites on NCL, RCCL and Princess.

NCL has always been ahead IMHO with suite perks, with Princess a close second.

However, RCCL has upgraded their suite perks in the past 6 months and we really enjoyed them. For example, reservedseating area at the pool deck, reserved seating at the shows, priority embarkation/debarkation/tendering. Concierge did a great job. But no butler. Not a big deal for us as we don't use the butler much anyway.

So now I make my choice based on ship, price and itinerary, because all 3 have excellent suite service.

I also base it on price. For Christmas 2010, NCL (AB Suite) is about $1,500 cheaper than RCCL (Owners Suite) for Mexico. So, I'm booked on NCL...first time too.

I've had suites on Princess (VS on Golden) and RCCL (Owner's & Grand - on Monarch) and Princess is much better with the perks.

had an AB Penthouse suite on NCL Jewel Baltic sailing. 5 family members, 3 children (age 13, 11, 7) and 2 adults. it was great. Just the right size.. room for everyone. Madel, our butler, was great (underutilized but would have walked on the moon if we asked him) and Carlos the concierge was very good as well.

Cagney's at Breakfast was the best meal we had all day (almost every day). We only did the lunch once, but it was mainly because we were off siteseeing or just doing other stuff at lunch).

The afternoon goodies in the cabin were great. Sweets, sandwiches, cookies, savory nibbles.. Dvd's, towels etc..

My biggest complaint I guess would be that I needed to have laundry done on a 12 day cruise. (do those who make decisions have children??) I'm not a snob and have no problem doing my own laundry, but couldn't. Wasn't willing to have a pair of undies done for 1.50 per pair (I think that was about right). So I hand washed them, using cold water liquid detergent bought in the gift shop and hung them on the balcony to dry (not sure NCL like that but.. too bad). I did use the 25.00 "Fill the bag" special twice and make sure I got my money's worth. but as a suite passenger the perks of laundry and even a comp on a few of the specialty restaurants in the evening would have been great.

We have never cruised in a suite. the last cruise we took was Carnival Destiny, 2 connecting outside (not even balcony) cabins.. this worked well because again 5 people get 2 of everything.

But I can say this.. NCL is , for me at the moment, tops in the suite department. It will be hard going back..

We have had suites on HAL, Celebrity, Carnival and NCL. The over all experience on NCL is better in our opinion. Carnival, bigger room, VIP check in, but nothing else. Balcony only wide ebough for a chair. HAL. Neptune nice, but no comparison to Cagney's perk. Celebrity... butler service, but as others have said, quite formal, and would not serve us in suite dinner at 7:30, as he was due to get off. Asked him to find a wire hanger to make an s hook to hang a X-Mass ornament... told us to call the carpenter. NCL butler would have made the hook and hung the ornament.

Al

I've never had a suite on any other line but having just departed 14500 on the Star with Simone as our concierge, I can't imagine anyone could compete wth the level of service we've enjoyed for the last week.

Can you imagine anything else ever comparing to the service or accommodations? Better than a private yacht, right? Did you have John Dsouza as your butler? And wasn't it worth every penny!? It is an amazing life experience...cannot wait to do it again!

The only other thing I would have liked in my cabin was Internet connection - as in Free Internet, or greatly reduced..

just a point of reference.. I sound a bit like a tight wad.. but not all suite travelers have tons of money to just throw around.. You are already spending tons of money on the suite (at least we did) and it would have been nice to have a few more extras.

Archived