Return from Independence of the Seas Med Treasures

Hi Terri, It was a great cruise, Embarkation was unbelievably stress free, we arrived by car and marshalled round to the baggage drop, stopped in a lane and gave all luggage to the porter then drove round to the car park, walked to terminal, even with a queue we were handed our sea pass and on board in 15 minutes, cabins weren't ready until 1pm and everyone is sent to the windjammer which is jam packed. had some lunch and a wander around, checked out our table in the restaurant and in the cabin at 1pm, our luggage didn't arrive until 5pm but we were expecting this.

We ate dinner in the restaurant every night, the food was good, the only thing for me was that there is never enough vegetables, but the waiter will always get extra if you ask. The food in the Windjammer was very good, lots of choice, finding a table at peak times can be an issue so we tended to have lunch later as we were late sitting for dinner. There are also pizza sandwiches and cakes available pretty much all day on The Promenade deck 5. We ate at Chops twice, for us it was well worth the money, the food was fantastic, the staff and the ambience is a notch above anything else.

I would say the cruise is geared up for the UK, we have been on a US one also and there are a few differences. there are lagers and bitter on draught, the shows are Generation Game and Mr and Mrs (didn't go to either) Tetley Tea Bags, Kettle in the cabin, pub quizes in the Schooner bar, the staff tend to adapt their greetings to Good Morning rather than Hi there! No real differences.

Please do go to the ice shows they are fantastic, we didn't go to any other show (not our cup of tea) but the ice ones are well worth it. Any other questions just ask:D

Hi Terri

Glad to hear embarkation was easy. What time did they tell you it was OK to get on and what time did you get on. We are going from Southampton on 1 August and have just received documentation to say get on at 14.00 and it sails at 17.00. We wondered if it would be worth getting to the port earlier than 14.00 ???

Also, what are the sockets on Independence of the Seas in the cabins? Are they US?

Many thanks

Was there the US style lemonade available (I really love that) and US bacon as well as the back bacon?

We do love the ices shows, glad to here they are good on Indy, any favoriate bars/bar staff?

I have been told you can embark from 11am, and the plugs are US pin, so you will need an adapter, also there are only 2 so a 4 plug extension lead is a good idea if you have phones, camera, tongs etc.

We are on the same sailing. Have you joined the Roll call for the meet and mingle?

Hi, will try and answer in one go, We boarded about 12pm but there was already lots of people aboard, usually after 11- 11:30 is fine. The plugs are USA 2 pin so you will need an adapter, there is already a kettle and a hairdryer, I took my own dryer and it seemed underpowered so might as well use theirs.

Can't say I saw any American style Lemonade but plenty of US crispy bacon and also English back bacon.

The price you pay for your drinks is it, they don't charge any extras, there is no 15% on the top (probably added it in to the price!) We just added a $ or two for the waiter when we signed for the drinks but that is at your discretion. We usually use the Champagne bar on other cruises but it is very small and dark on this one. The Pub on the Promenade is very popular with a pub singer or guitarist at night can get crowded, personally I like the Schooner bar on deck 4, nice atmosphere and pub quizes were a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing, if you sit at the bar the bar staff like a chat and all the bar waiters were great. The Vintage wine bar didn't seem very popular hardly ever more than a few in.

Cannes station is fairly easy we went to Antibes which is a lovely little French town only 10 minutes away and a nice alternative to Monte Carlo. The station is approx 30 minutes walking from ship, you can find it on the map they hand out when you get off the tender. The station is uphill but not too strenuous. The tenders are every 15 - 25 minutes but they do wait until they are full before they leave.

Hi, we don't always prepay our tips but we did on this one as it easier and it's another thing paid before you go, we also buy our wine package in advance as it's another thing you don't need to pay for when you get there (all in the mind really but works for us) There have been opinions on the prepaid tips that the crew know and you don't get the same service, I think it's rubbish because as usual all the crew were fantastic. :)

Hi, I'm not sure about the wine package in the bars, it seems to be classed as Wine and Dine, they put a sticker on your Sea Pass and you can use it in the Dining Room, Windjammer, Chops and Portofino, if we haven't finished our wine that evening (very rare!) we carry our glasses through to the bar or back to the cabin but haven't hard of anyone claiming bottles from the wine package at the bars, might be that I haven't noticed it sorry:)

Muster drill is at 16:15 and we had to put the life jacket on, these are different jackets to the ones I have seen before and they have a velcro round the neck which is really suffocating, I hid in he back and took mine off as it was really suffocating with everyone squashed together. It was well over by sail away, we were on deck and I don't remember a band playing at all, was a good atmosphere though everyone was waving:D

We're a multi-generational family of eight traveling in two weeks. Is there enough time to tour Cagliari and go to Su Nuraxi? We've read about the Hop on Off buses, and figured that was more fun for the kids than tour buses. Is it feasable to do one of these tours, and then take separate tour or taxi to Su nuraxi?

Malaga: I was there 25 years ago, and remember it as a beach/party town. What did you do in Malaga, and what would you recommend for a family with teenagers? I see that RCCL has a river rafting tour, but my youngest is too young for that activity. We live in Florida, and beaches, are not a big draw for us. Did you, or anyone you know do the caves?

Lisbon?Vigo? REally don't know where to start. Please let us know about your experience. THANKS

Hi, I'm enjoying reading your posts, we sail soon and I am both excited and nervous as the four of us are first timers and not sure what to expect. The main thing I'm really nervous about is crowds in the Windjammer as I get a bit panicky. What time would you recommend we head for the WJ for our evening meal (we have MTD arranged), also we plan to embark around 11.00am-11.30am, so do you think the WJ will be packed around that time? Thanks Kaz, Manchester

Hi Kaz,

With regard to the Windjammer, unfortunately yes it will be busy when you boad as most people are asked to make their way there while the cabins are being prepared (I get panicky in crowds too). Just take your time find a seat first, send someone off to get you a drink and then have a wander round the food counter, every one is in the same boat (pardon the pun) and wandering round like headless chickens. This is the only time on the cruise it will be this crowded. I find I feel better if I can sit near a window:) The windjammer is the self service buffet and you can go any time you choose when they are open. You have MTD which is for the main restaurant, called Romeo and Juliet, King Lear etc, you are seated and served, dinner is 3 courses and coffee. I personally also go to the main dining room for breakfast as it's a lot more sedate and you can order off the menu from the waiter plus a small buffet section. Some people use the Windjammer for dinner but I always eat dinner in the main dining room MTD is usually on deck 5 but it will tell you when you check in on your sea pass. ;)

8tocruise I will get back to you on trips just need to dig the info out, am still doing the ironing Aaaargh:mad:

Hi Russy,

When using the MDR for breakfast do you head to the sames section you use for your evening meal, i.e. if you are MTD, do you go to that section as well for breakfast?

I like the idea of being waited on at breakfast as well, so could you let me know if the selection in the MDR is as good?

thanks

8tocruise I will get back to you on trips just need to dig the info out, am still doing the ironing Aaaargh:mad:

Hi there I too was on the same cruise and I too av been washing and ironing all day:( seems ages ago to think I was only getting off ship yesterday morning I been looking at cruises today for next trip dont know yet but need do book somthing to keep me going;)

Hi, Breakfast was served in the main dining room on deck 3 Romeo and Juiet, someone will greet you at the door and take you to a table, no set tables at breakfast, usually sit with other guests but will accomodate you if you want sit on your own. I asked for a table of four one morning because I had a really bad cough and didn't want to inflict it on other people, no problem. The waiter serves tea coffee and juice and gives you a menu to choose from, ie omelettes, eggs benedict etc. There is also a buffet section (never seen this in MDR before) with all fruit, cereal, breads and some hot food, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, scrambled egg, tomatoes and baked beans. I do use the Windjammer for breakfast sometimes if I'm doing an early trip but much prefer the main dining room. If you can make breakfast before 9am it will be quieter everywhere:)

Hi Hels,

Still got loads to do my poor washing machine is worn out, my husband had to go back to work today so I was left with it all (would rather have gone to work!!!) Hope you had a great cruise same as us, I'd already booked another cruise for Nov sailing from Venice he he. Can't really afford it but it's a treat for my mum's 65th. Just get the credit card out:D

Hi, Breakfast was served in the main dining room on deck 3 Romeo and Juiet, someone will greet you at the door and take you to a table, no set tables at breakfast, usually sit with other guests but will accomodate you if you want sit on your own. I asked for a table of four one morning because I had a really bad cough and didn't want to inflict it on other people, no problem. The waiter serves tea coffee and juice and gives you a menu to choose from, ie omelettes, eggs benedict etc. There is also a buffet section (never seen this in MDR before) with all fruit, cereal, breads and some hot food, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, scrambled egg, tomatoes and baked beans. I do use the Windjammer for breakfast sometimes if I'm doing an early trip but much prefer the main dining room. If you can make breakfast before 9am it will be quieter everywhere:)

Thanks, are they happy to sit couples alone or is it seen as a chore?

What time would you recommend we head for the WJ for our evening meal (we have MTD arranged),

MTD is held in the main dining room, with the same menu, the same dress code, the same waiters as traditional dining. You do not go to the WJ.

Thanks, are they happy to sit couples alone or is it seen as a chore?
Yes, if you want a table for 2 in the main diningroom at breakfast or at lunch, you just ask. It may take a few nano-seconds more to seat you but you will be accomodated.

Archived