Sitka Sound wildlife cruise

doe64

Hi,

We'll be in Sitka in July and are wondering if anyone has taken a wildlife boat cruise with Capt. Jim from Sitkasoundtours. If so, would you recommend? Thanks so much for any info! ;)

yes we just returned from our cruise and took the wildlife cruise from Jim at Sitka Sound Tours. It was great! He's a good guy, very knowledgeable about the wildlife, the area, etc. He also gives a very competitive rate. Our group had a blast. We saw puffins, sea otters, seals, tons of eagle, and 2 whales! He had snacks and water on the boat for us. This tour was one of the highlights of our trip. Have fun!

Do also look into Davey Lupin at www.puffinsandwhales.com. Our trip with him was beyond wonderful!!!! He is incredibly knowledged in all of the wildlife. We saw whales, otters, puffins, eagles, etc, etc, etc!! We chose Davey over Jim for 2 reasons. One there is access to the bow and the aft of Davey's boat making it easier for photos than on Jim's and two Davey offered a longer cruise. We thought that 2 hours was too short and the added time and cost of Davey's excursion would be better for us. We are so glad we did.

I am sure Jana's recommendation is another good one but in defense of Sitka Sound, we were out on Jim's boat from about 8:30 to 12:30. He was also great with my 12 year old son and let him fish a little for catch and release rock fish. Taking pictures on the aft of his boat was no problem either. I would imagine that you couldn't go wrong with any of the local wildlife operators as Sitka seems to be one of the top spots for doing it.

I have a trip booked with Jim in Aug and I can't wait. I enjoy corresponding with him. He is totally customizing our trip and you can do the trip for any amount of time for a small price. He'll also set a longline and pull it for you. He'll also include rockfishing. I felt for everything I could get included with Jim I was way ahead of the curve. Good luck with your decision. Karon:)

I am sure you will be happy either way you go. Even though we went with Davey I corresponded several times with Jim and he was nothing but wonderful. I told Davey about my emails with Jim and he said Jim is well respected in Sitka and we would have had a great time had we been on his boat. I think this says alot about both of them. It is certainly possible that Jim did not have space for 4 hours the day we were there because he only gave us a 2 hour option and said that was his normal tour. Jim quoted me $125 per person for 2 hours, Davey $175 for 4 hours. Enjoy whichever way you go and yes we customized our tour with Davey too. :)

We did the tour with Davey Lupin a couple of weeks ago. He is really great! Gave us a lot of history, wildlife and the best chocolate cookies ever!

Seriously, it is an up close and personal trip with a most personable host. We had the best whale sighting of our whole trip, a gray whale and saw some beautiful scenery.

I'm sure the other captains are great. I haven't been yet, so zero experience. I can only agree with CalifCruizer1 about how accommodating Jim is.

I'll be in Sitka August 5 and August 9, and am a solo cruiser. Jim has no tours yet for those dates, but has offered to take me fishing (which he'd planned to do alone on the Sunday) if I simply pay gas.

Thanks so much for all of your information and recommendations - we have decided to book w/Capt. Jim but also did contact Capt. Davey - both, as you have stated, were very courteous and knowledgeable. Thanks again for your replys! :)

Archived