Cruisinmama06, question for you...

njmomof2

Michele, do you have any information on kids programs for NCL? I have a family interested in doing a large family cruise and now they don't want to fly so they are considering NCL out of NY. My friend tells me that their program accepts them as young as 2 and non potty trained and I'd like to confirm.

Also, do you know if either the Dawn or the Jewel have a pool for the non potty trained set (like the kiddie pool on the Freedom class ships)?

Any info you can pass on is appreciated.

Yep, I have the NCL pages here...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/NCL%20Kids%20Crew/

The NCL kids crew does start at 2. And your friend is right, they don't need to be potty trained. The parents get pagers and will be paged when its time for a diaper change. The kids crew counselors will not change diapers.

Jewel and Dawn do not have pools for the non-potty trained set, BUT, they do have a kids pool area. The one on Dawn is outside and really nice...I posted a pic on this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20131106&postcount=32

I have never been on those ships but did see the Dawn last month when we were docked next to it in NYC. I had seriously considered taking the Dawn next year instead of RCCL Explorer, but I couldn't talk my extended family into doing NCL instead of RCCL :rolleyes:

Personally, they both seem like great ships (Dawn and Jewel). I really liked going out of NYC. We did get to go right past the statue of liberty, which was REALLY cool. And swimming on the first day before sailaway with NYC as our backdrop - an incredible experience.

My choice to do Explorer instead really hurt today when I got an email from NCL for the 6 cat upgrades during some procrastinators special. :eek: First phone call was to my mom...lol. Saying, we could have gotten UPGRADED woman!

You're the best. I knew you'd have the inside info.

Yes, I got the notification for the upgrades on NCL as well yesterday. If I can get them booked by the end of the booking window, it would be a really decent booking for me, especially considering they are not going until July 2010. The 3/4 passenger rates are not as low as they could be (some were at $99) but if you consider not flying, being able to cruise past the Statue and being able to get their younger child into a program, even for a couple of hours a day, it sounds like a great opportunity.

So in the kids pool, do they let the little ones at least splash? I know one of her concerns is that her younger one will want to be in the water with the older one, and since he's not potty trained, I definitely want to give her the proper information (regardless of what some might choose to do concerning the posted rules).

Thanks!

So in the kids pool, do they let the little ones at least splash? I know one of her concerns is that her younger one will want to be in the water with the older one, and since he's not potty trained, I definitely want to give her the proper information (regardless of what some might choose to do concerning the posted rules).

Thanks!

Officially, no, they aren't allowed. Realistically, there will be babies all over that pool. Crew members have told the parents that the pool is for the babies.

You could always tell her to bring a small inflatable.

I mentioned to her about an inflatable, but her response was that her son (the little one) is going to want to do whatever his older sister is doing and that if he can't go in the pool with her, it's going to make for a difficult trip. I told her that maybe they should wait a year and go when he's trained.

Her response...it's her husband's 40th birthday celebration and he said that he wants to go, doesn't want to wait, it's his vacation, yada, yada. I didn't know how to respond to that, since I'm one of those people who feels that if your kids are not going to have a good time and it doesn't work for them at this point, don't do it and wait until they are ready and then everyone has a good time. I guess he figures since family is joining them, someone will be able to help with the younger one so they have a break.

Don't know if it's going to happen but we'll see. Your info helps alot.

I don't know if this would work or not, but if your friend is adament on going, them maybe when it's time for the pool, one parent take the older one to the regular pool, and then another family member or parent take the son to the baby pool. That way he won't see what she's doing and want to join too. It'd also be one on one time with him. Just a suggestion.

If it helps we were on the Gem out of NY last Feb. First of all leaving NYC by the Statue of Liberty is so cool! We get a balcony, and sit on it and watch the Statue go by. The kids area on the Gem had a small pool that was chlorinated. Most of the kids in it looked about 2-4. There were 2 people with babies in the pool, but with all the splashing toddlers they did not last long. I don't know how they monitor the chlorine level etc, but yoou could smell it on the kids after fun in the pool. I'm all for chlorine in the little kids pool, even if all the kids appeared potty trained.

Archived