Castel Gandolfo to see the Pope

jstducky

I am thinking of taking the train from Roma Termini to Castel Gandolfo to see the Pope in his summer residence in August on a Sunday.

The question I have is this... looking at train schedules, it appears that the last train that I could take gets into Castel Gandolfo at 9:17 am. The Pope gives his Sunday blessings at 12:00 pm. Then the next train back to Rome is not until 1:42 pm. During this time time I'm at Castel Gandolfo, is there anything to do and/or see?

Has anyone who has made the trip out there comment?

How long is the blessing given by the Pope on Sunday?

Thanks!

I am thinking of taking the train from Roma Termini to Castel Gandolfo to see the Pope in his summer residence in August on a Sunday.

The question I have is this... looking at train schedules, it appears that the last train that I could take gets into Castel Gandolfo at 9:17 am. The Pope gives his Sunday blessings at 12:00 pm. Then the next train back to Rome is not until 1:42 pm. During this time time I'm at Castel Gandolfo, is there anything to do and/or see?

Thanks!

I have been to the town and it is quite charming..there is a cafe across from the entrance to have some coffee.Did not go there to see the Pope and did not go by train..just a stop to shoot some pictures and walk around so can't help with other info.

Hi JSTDUCKY -

The blessing pope takes more or less 30 minutes or a little bit more -

As you can see you don't have much time at your disposal for going outside Castelgandolfo -

Anyway you will not annoyed if you give a look to the beautiful lake of Albano.

Bye Gunther

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Guten Tag Gunther.

Danke zu der Information.

I hope that my high school German is still understandable.

I think that I will make the trip out to Castel Gandolfo to see the Pope. Afterall, it's not every day that you get an opportunity like this.

Do you happen to know, will it be crowded? Do a lot of people go out there?

Once I leave the train station, will it be easy to find the Pope's residence?

Danke schon!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yes. Plan on a big crowd. Also, be aware that this is a hill town and there is a good long climb up to the Papal Residence. It's been over 20 years but I still remember the climb from where the bus dropped me off to where I had to be -- with a baby in a carrier strapped to my back. And bring bottled water. It's August in Rome; it will be hot, especially by the time you leave.

Seeing the Pope is a special event you will not forget. The blessing starts promptly at Noon when he appears on the balcony to lead the assembled in praying the Angelus. Have a great time.

Archived