Please tell me about Explorer of the Seas

Dh and I are considering a 5-night cruise to Bermuda on the Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey this September. I did 2 Carnival cruises before we met and then we did a Carnival for our honeymoon (11 years ago). Since then, we have done 2 Disney cruises, but we have no experience with RCCL.

I have read several reviews on another board stating how worn out some of RCCL ships are. We're the type that are not going to get upset if the ship is a bit worn and let it ruin our experience, so those types of things really don't matter too much to me . . . unless furniture is falling apart or something!

Since we're not taking the kids along as this is an anniversary trip, what I'm really looking for is some decent adult entertainment - fun games, shows - comedy, etc. and some decent food. Again, I have reasonable expectations. I know it's not going to be 4*, but good food would be nice!

As ridiculous as it sounds because I truly did enjoy every minute of our Disney cruises, one thing that I enjoyed the most was the amazing fresh fruit out by the pool every day. What can I say?!?! I'm a foodie with a health conscious twist! It was wonderful - fresh papaya, mango, pineapple . . . YUM!! What can I say?!?! I'm a foodie with a health conscious twist!

Thanks for any input/advice/reviews!

We have been on Explorer twice and loved it and are going again next year. Friends just got married and did the honeymoon on her for 9 nights, they just got back and said they loved it. I think you will enjoy it.:)

I am going on the Explorer TOMORROW!! It will be my 3rd time on the ship, so obviously I like it!!! The first time, the ship wasn't even a year old. The second time we saw some wear and tear on the furniture and carpeting, but they were actually replacing things right then and there. There was also brand new bedding at that time. We will see what tomorrow brings. The food has always been good, better than average in MHO. As far as fresh fruit, it's not out by the pool, but always available in the Windjammer Cafe which is on the same level as the pool. I think you'll enjoy it!

I have been on the Explorer a few times but this February I felt the food has gone down a little. The ship is very nice and she is going into drydock in January so MCHIN you should be on the new and improved Explorer in April. Ship has good shows, Windjammer IMO is very nice and offers a good food selection. Portofino is excellent. I will look and see if I have the menus from my last cruise. I take everything home with me since I live in NJ and don't have to fly home.

I was on the explorer for the first time May 28th - I loved it and will be booking another one soon. There was plenty of entertainment all day long with lots of different things to do. They are constantly working on the ship and everything that i saw was in very good condition. Dont miss the croissant sandwhiches in the royal promdane cafe - they are so so good !

Sorry, no papaya or mangos! The windjammer does have fresh pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Also canned peaches and pears.

The salad bar in the main dining room at lunch is excellent! In fact, we found the lunches in the main dining room to be far better than our dinners there. Make sure to try the specialty restaurant, Portafino's!

The ice skating shows are also not to be missed.

Dee

Archived