Any tips for a 1st timer? 9/12/09 Diamond Princess

kerojack

Check out Skywalkers on the Diamond - it's high up and spans the ship towards the aft portion of the ship giving a spectacular view as you cruise. Access it from the elevators at the aft section of the ship. It't a nightclub during the evening, but during the day a wonderful place to sit, watch the passing scene, read a book, play cards and generally enjoy the day

The soda card is kinda pricey, do the math (# sodas you normally drink/day)\cost then decide if you really want one. Many folks regret buying the card.

Regarding the cabin refrigerator, I have yet to see one that gets as cold as ours at home. If you medication requires a specific temperature you should check with Princess direct. I am confident they can make arrangements for you. Also, they can provide a sharps container in your cabin for you.

I rarely take ship sponsored shore excursions for the following reasons:

• Overpriced, keep in mind the 'split' between the cruise operator and Princess is 60/40 or 50/50
  • We are on time and hate waiting for laggers
  • We like to get where we are going and have maximum time, shore excursions often try to pack more sights into a tour to attract the most people
  • We do not like getting crammed into any vehicle like sardines
  • We simply prefer many sights that are not offered on the popular tours

Most of my excursions are self lead and planned well in advance. However, sometimes I do the ad hoc tour and just ask a willing cab driver what should I not miss on their island/city? The usual response is several items which provides options!!! This approach has always been wonderful, with one exception in GRENADA--be careful. I have traveled to places where the cruise line warns its passengers to not do your own tour (Belize, et. al.) and have lived to tell that I, a single old lady (now), negotiated her own tours without any problems. Be carefull and you will have a blast.

I try not to drink too much soda. so I probably won't be buying the soda card. though I am a sucker for ginger ale. I think I will bring a case of my own (heard you could do that)

And good to know about the refrigerator temperature and the sharps container. I will definitely be giving them a call to make sure he's taken care of :)

Thanks for all your suggestions! :)

We were just on the Diamond 6/20-27. I'd sail on her again in a minute.

We loved the Wheelhouse Bar. It reminded me of an English manor house (not that I've ever been to one, but I'm waiting for my invitation!). Leather, button-tufted sofas, wing-back chairs, dark wood. It was a great place to curl up with a hot chocolate and a book.

Jenjens - you can come to my English manor house any time :D

They serve fresh made dessert waffles in the afternoon at the pizza stand. Everyone raved about the choclate waffles.:):)

Darn! I missed those. Guess I gotta go back!

PS, it was great meeting you. Hope you enjoyed your Whittier excursion.

Had an outside cabin on Emerald Deck in 2007. With a balcony, you can see a lot; however, if you want to move easily from side to side outside, go to the front walkway on Emerald Deck. It is covered, large and great for following wild life that the naturalist tells about on the announcement system.

Of course :D You'll have no trouble finding me.... I live in the big house on the hill ;) Do you pass by Shrewsbury often?

Don't think I've ever been there. London, Dover, Canterbury, Norfolk, Lake Country I've seen. But it's been a long time. :(

Oh, oh. We're getting off topic!

Archived