Conch Fritters

We are sailing on the Sky to the Bahamas in December. I have always wanted to try conch fritters and was wondering if anyone could tell me kinda what they taste like and where we should go to get them in the Bahamas. Also wondering about Joes Stone Crab Restaurant in Miami, i.e. the price and is it any good? Thanks!!!

Conch fitters are like a drop donut, similar to pancake batter but with bits of conch in it, that is fried.

The best ones are served piping hot fresh with this spicy mayonaise type dipping sauce (the sauce is slightly pink/orange).

For conch fritters in the Bahamas, if you are going to Nassau, take a bus or a cab to the "Fish Fry." Any local will know exactly where this is. It is not one restaurant, but more of an area of several mom & pop type places...think a Bahamian version of your locally owned diner. The selection of food and libations is wide, local, and DELICIOUS!

It is not one restaurant, but more of an area of several mom & pop type places...

This last bit is a great piece of information. I sought out the Fish Fry when I was there and a cab took us to the row of restaurants, but I couldn't figure out which "one" was supposed to the the Fish Fry! :o I'm glad to know now that I didn't miss the right "one."

OP: to me conch tastes like a slightly tough, chewy seafood. DH grew up in Miami so I tried fritters a few times before Nassau. I would agree with the recommendation he always gives which is to try to get conch fritters (flat-ish, like a thin crabcake) rather than conch balls which tend to have more breading and less conch. You may have to ask first, b/c some places use the two interchangeably. And don't get there too early (before noon), b/c they may not have caught the conch yet - personal experience!! :D

• Administrators
We are sailing on the Sky to the Bahamas in December. I have always wanted to try conch fritters and was wondering if anyone could tell me kinda what they taste like and where we should go to get them in the Bahamas. Also wondering about Joes Stone Crab Restaurant in Miami, i.e. the price and is it any good? Thanks!!!

I personally think Joe's Stone Crab is overpriced -- they have a much higher opinion of themselves than we do! :) The food is good, not excellent, but it's a nice place to go... once. I think the best part about it is the photos of the original restaurant and the overall ambience -- it's a neat-looking place. Our last few trips we've had appetizers and a drink there (be ready for HUGE drink prices) and then eaten dinner elsewhere.

I'm a big seafood lover but I do not love conch. I think it's worth trying, but I wouldn't be planning on it as a main course. In texture and taste (to me) conch itself is similar to clam meat, and prepared badly, it's similar to the tread on your car's tire (i.e., extremely rubbery!)

I do think fritters are best if served very hot (they get sticky and gooey if left standing) and with yummy sauces -- they are basically a "hushpuppy" with some conch meat in them.

I personally think Joe's Stone Crab is overpriced -- they have a much higher opinion of themselves than we do! :) The food is good, not excellent, but it's a nice place to go... once. I think the best part about it is the photos of the original restaurant and the overall ambience -- it's a neat-looking place. Our last few trips we've had appetizers and a drink there (be ready for HUGE drink prices) and then eaten dinner elsewhere.

Unless you grease the palms of one of the stone-faced maitre d's with some stone-cold cash, you'll be waiting for those famous claws for up to 2 hours

is this true?

As has been said Joe's Stone Crab is really overpriced.

I would recommend Monty's Stone Crab. The prices for their food is pretty good for Miami Beach standards and the poolside/marina side seating is a lot of fun. Try to get there early as you can see other cruise ships sail out.

Pe

Archived