What Happens to C&A Status When a Minor Turns 18?

Just curious...

My minor children have been "granted" Platinum status based on my/DHs cruise credits.

By the time they reach 17, they will be "Diamond" members, but will have only cruised 6 times actually "earning" 7 credits.

What will happen to their C&A status when they turn 18? Will it drop back to "Platinum" (based on the 7 credits they actually "earned"), or will they keep their "Diamond" status?

I realize RCI can change its policies at any time. But, I am curious what the current policy is.

TIA!

they will keep diamond and as of now when they marry their spouse will get their status automatically also after their first cruise.

Marry???? I can't even think that far ahead! Graduation seems like eons away! LOL!

Thanks for the info!

Marry???? I can't even think that far ahead! Graduation seems like eons away! LOL!

Thanks for the info!

It goes faster then you think, seems like I blinked and mine are now 21 and 23.

It goes faster then you think, seems like I blinked and mine are now 21 and 23.

???? dd has been on two cruises with us shes 14 and she is not going on the next cruise! we will be platinum by then will dd be platinum also affter that cruise even if she does not go ? thanks:)

Although I have nothing to cite, I thought it was reliant on maintaing the same address as the person who gained enough cruise credits to reach diamond status. If their soon-to-be spouse "moves" to the same address, per RCCL, she will get the same status...

All those at the same address will have the same status as the person with the highest status.

SS lives with us and is Diamond like we are even though he has only been on 3 cruises.

This is where C&A got it wrong IMHO, as it was far too easy for everyone to reach Diamond, therefore causing

the need to cut back on the benefits etc.

This last cruise was my son's 1st cruise being 18 & his card said Diamond. They keep the status, which I think is pretty cool. He might make it to diamond plus one day...hahaha

We were recently told on Serenade that they can't assume the Diamond Plus status that they will have to earn it. We are about to turn Diamond Plus after our next cruise, and both of our sons are Diamond, but the loyalty ambassitor told us that they would have to earn the cruise credits on there own for Diamond plus. I guess we will see, our oldest is 21 and probably won't leave home for another year or so.

We were glad to see the new perks for us on Celebrity, as there program sort of lacked a lot of the meat that the Royals program has and we like a lot of the itierarys on Celeb.

Happy Sailing

Brian J

???? dd has been on two cruises with us shes 14 and she is not going on the next cruise! we will be platinum by then will dd be platinum also affter that cruise even if she does not go ? thanks:)

As long as here address is the same as yours, yes she will become Platinum when you do.

Although I have nothing to cite, I thought it was reliant on maintaing the same address as the person who gained enough cruise credits to reach diamond status. If their soon-to-be spouse "moves" to the same address, per RCCL, she will get the same status...

No, if the son who is now 17 lets say, becomes diamond when the parents do next cruise. Now 4-5 years down the road he is still diamond and moves out on his own he STILL stays diamond and the new wife becomes HIS status after her first cruise.

And this is why there are so many Diamond members. And why the CL is overcrowded. Kids points should reset to ZERO when they attain age 21. They should earn their own points by paying for their own cruises.

And this is why there are so many Diamond members. And why the CL is overcrowded. Kids points should reset to ZERO when they attain age 21. They should earn their own points by paying for their own cruises.

I disagree about the status returning to zero. I think that a child should be able to keep the points they have earned by taking the cruise. However, I do not think that a child should attain their parents status for just living at the same address.

But, to answer OP's question. Yes, your DD will have whatever status you have.

Just curious...

My minor children have been "granted" Platinum status based on my/DHs cruise credits.

By the time they reach 17, they will be "Diamond" members, but will have only cruised 6 times actually "earning" 7 credits.

What will happen to their C&A status when they turn 18? Will it drop back to "Platinum" (based on the 7 credits they actually "earned"), or will they keep their "Diamond" status?

I realize RCI can change its policies at any time. But, I am curious what the current policy is.

TIA!

From what I understand, "status" remains equivalent for all members of C&A that live at the same address. Whomever has the highest status at the address "gives" that status to the other members of C&A at that same address.

When I married my husband and we bought our house, he received my platinum status, even tho he had only cruised RCCL one time. We have since cruised enough to reach diamond status and our children, ages 3 and 1, are diamond C&A members right along with us.

Once your children turn 18 nothing will happen to their current RCCL status unless they change their address with Crown and Anchor, assuming they move out of the house.

In Theory:

If they move out and change their address then their respective status will "go back" to whatever it is supposed to be. That will be calculated based on the number of cruises that they have actually sailed on. This is why it is always best to keep your seapasses if C&A status is important to you. For proof.

That Said:

RCCL has a history of not being consistent with policy. I would not be surprised if they were not able to recall the real number of cruises that your children sailed on in order to revert them back, and the kids retained the same status as the parents had.

That's just ridiculous!

This last cruise was my son's 1st cruise being 18 & his card said Diamond. They keep the status, which I think is pretty cool. He might make it to diamond plus one day...hahaha

BUT is his address still the same as your address?

I guess I better keep every seapass card in case anything changes- my kids are Platinum.....and they earned it themselves. They are 5 and 9. By the time they leave home, they will be Diamond+!!!!

Definitely! Consider them souvenirs.

My kids will be diamond plus before they turn 18 :)

If Royal chooses to be generous with cruise credits, why not be happy for the people who get to share in the wealth? While I doubt that generosity has much to do with it, good for them! It's probably more like getting a fourteen year old kid hooked on a certain brand of cigarettes. Get 'em when they're young and you've got 'em for life. Cruise Credits and loyalty programs are the nicotine that keeps us all coming back, and at least they don't cause cancer. Anyway, my point is: Why complain when someone else gets a treat. You're going on lots of cruises, you've got nothing to complain about.

I see this attitude quite often, and I don't get it. Even if the kids didn't pay for the cruise, THEIR PARENTS did. It's not like it was a free cruise. Why shouldn't they get credit for it?

If, say, I decided to take my parents on a cruise, and paid for it, my parents get credit for the cruise. So in this case, you're saying my parents shouldn't get credit for the cruise? Then should *I* get credit for the cruise since I paid for it?

This mentality just makes no sense.

RCI can eliminate or change any program at any time. I'm just saying, it use to be that kids did not get status points and they were considered the same level as the adult they were traveling with.

About 2 years ago, RCI instituted the program in which kids could "carry over" cruise points and start at gold, platinum or diamond when they left the nest.

Now at the same time, as these "instant diamond members" are on their own, all of a sudden the perks that diamond members were receiving, were canceled. Such as free drinks in the CL for diamond members, due to over crowding. Well, duh!! when RCI doubled or tripled diamond memers overnight, what did they expect?

So, if a person had to earn their status, from points attained after age 21, they could solve the overcrowding problem.

All those at the same address will have the same status as the person with the highest status.

SS lives with us and is Diamond like we are even though he has only been on 3 cruises.

This is where C&A got it wrong IMHO, as it was far too easy for everyone to reach Diamond, therefore causing

the need to cut back on the benefits etc.

I agree with you.

I disagree about the status returning to zero. I think that a child should be able to keep the points they have earned by taking the cruise. However, I do not think that a child should attain their parents status for just living at the same address.

I think you should have to pay for your cruise to actually be Loyal.

I see this attitude quite often, and I don't get it. Even if the kids didn't pay for the cruise, THEIR PARENTS did. It's not like it was a free cruise. Why shouldn't they get credit for it?

If, say, I decided to take my parents on a cruise, and paid for it, my parents get credit for the cruise. So in this case, you're saying my parents shouldn't get credit for the cruise? Then should *I* get credit for the cruise since I paid for it?

This mentality just makes no sense.

No, Adults can keep their credits. But why should a child be afforded all the perks and price breaks when they never had to shoulder the full load? It IS a free cruise to the kid, the parent does get the credit (so does the kid while they are a kid, and even into adulthood!)

Loyalty is a reward for spending your money with a certain cruiseline. I don't see how this "status" could be awarded to someone that didn't pay for any of the cruises and did not get final purchase authority.

Archived